• My Five Favorite Third-party Apple Watch Apps to Date

Since the launch of the Apple Watch on April 24th, there has been a very limited supply of Apple Watch-compatible applications. So with that being said, there are very few to choose from, but some of them are definitely better than others. In this post, I'll show you my five favorite Apple Watch applications from the App Store that I use on a regular basis that I think have been designed well and serve their purpose well.

1. Yahoo! Weather

Among the favorites of my Apple Watch applications is the Yahoo! Weather application. The iOS application has earned design awards in the past, so it was my instinct to try the Apple Watch version as soon as it was available. It didn't take me long to fall in love with the design and enjoy it more than the basic Weather application that was pre-installed on the Apple Watch because of the detailed info-graphics and information that gets shown.

The application itself shows you little animated bells and whistles for the rain chance, wind speed, sunrise/sunset, and more. You can also see the temperature and weather condition forecast throughout the day and keep track of the highs and lows.

Yahoo! Weather also includes a glances view so that you can easily see a quick glance of weather information right from the watch face interface.

My only complaint about Yahoo! Weather is that sometimes it can load slowly because of all the information it has to fetch from the iPhone, but overall, the experience is worth it. I would definitely check this one out if you haven't already.

Yahoo! Weather can be downloaded for free from this App Store link, and to install it, just go to your Apple Watch application on your iPhone and enable the application on your Apple Watch.

2. Shazam

Among the many conveniences that the Apple Watch adds to your wrist, I feel that the Shazam application is one of the best applications for the Apple Watch because it amplifies the Watch's functionality in a way that many of us are familiar with music. At times, it can be inconvenient to pull your huge iPhone 6 Plus out of your pocket, like I have to, and then find and launch the Shazam application to tag some music. By then, the music could be over, or some other inconvenient instance could take place.

Fortunately, with the Shazam application strapped to your wrist, it's like always having a personal assistant at the ready without the need to take anything out of your pocket. You can tag music almost immediately by just launching the application from your Glances menu and within seconds, you'll know what's playing.

What's also nice is that Shazam for the Apple Watch even shows you music that you've previously tagged, so if you want to know what it was that you tagged the other day, you'll be able to look back and see what it was so you can add it to your music library later on. Your Shazam history is also shown in the Glance menu that is accessed from the watch face interface.

I really don't have any complaints about the Shazam application except that I wish the tagging animation was a bit more defined. Sometimes it can be hard to tell if the application is actually doing anything when it is tagging music, unlike the iOS application, which has a very defined tagging animation.

Shazam can be downloaded for free from this App Store link, and to install it, just go to your Apple Watch application on your iPhone and enable the application on your Apple Watch.

3. Deliveries

When you're like me and you have to track a lot of packages in the mail, you might want to have some kind of application where you can store the tracking numbers and keep track of their location so that you know nothing is getting lost in the mail. My favorite way to do this on my Apple Watch is with an application called Deliveries.

Deliveries supports all kinds of couriers, such as FedEx, UPS, USPS, DHL, and many others. You can simply add a tracking number via the iOS or Mac OS X application, and it syncs over iCloud to all of your devices, including your Apple Watch.

The application keeps track of the location of your package, showing you via a map everywhere that it goes. You can also see when the package is scheduled to arrive at your doorstep and receive notifications when your packages are getting close or are marked as delivered.

Since our packages are important to us, I think that having a little notifier strapped to your wrist that lets you know when they arrive is really cool and convenient. Plus, the application has an A+ design standard that looks absolutely gorgeous. I would definitely recommend Deliveries to anyone that likes tracking their packages and mail.

Best of all, Deliveries includes a Glance view so you can easily see your deliveries in a simplified interface right from the watch face interface.

Deliveries can be downloaded for $4.99 from this App Store link, and to install it, just go to your Apple Watch application on your iPhone and enable the application on your Apple Watch.

4. Geocaching Intro

Geocaching Intro is another of my favorite applications for the Apple Watch. Geocaching is a very fun activity where you can find hidden treasures throughout your town or city, or even in the wildlife parks where things are best hidden. With the Apple Watch application, you have a compass strapped to your wrist that makes finding them more convenient than having you hold your iPhone in your hand while you search for caches.

The Geocaching application for Apple Watch shows you all of the Geocaches around you and then tap on them to see information about the cache, who has found it recently, and even any hints that the hider has provided. Included is a Glance where you can see the closest cache to your current location; it s easily accessed by swiping up from the watch face interface.

Notably, while the application is very beautifully built, I do have some complaints about it. For example, you have to have location services set to "Always" for your Geocaching Intro application on your iPhone for this to work, which means it's always drawing your location and reduces your iPhone's battery life. Luckily though, it's not a significant amount and doesn't hinder workflow.

Geocaching Intro can be downloaded for free from this App Store link, and to install it, just go to your Apple Watch application on your iPhone and enable the application on your Apple Watch.

5. Amazon App

My final application for this list that I've really been enjoying on my Apple Watch is Amazon App. I'm addicted to buying things online, and Amazon is by far one of the best places to do just that.

The Apple Watch Amazon application makes it easy to quickly check prices on items and make purchases right from your Apple Watch. If you don't want to make purchases from your Apple Watch, but want to save it for later, you can also add it to your wish list right from your Apple Watch so you can check it out on another device later.

The Amazon Watch application is simple and elegant. It integrates with the microphone so that you can search for items with your voice and research the best deals. You can view an items overall star review and look at photos of the item on your Apple Watch too.

My biggest complaint about the Amazon application on the Apple Watch is all the white color that is used in the backgrounds of search results. Since the Apple Watch uses an OLED display, darker colors consume the least amount of battery life and since Amazon has so much white space, you can expect an impact on your battery life if you're using it all the time. But, that doesn't mean Amazon isn't a useful application for your wrist; quite the contrary, actually.

Amazon App can be downloaded for free from this App Store link, and to install it, just go to your Apple Watch application on your iPhone and enable the application on your Apple Watch.

We will continue to keep you updated on awesome Apple Watch applications on a regular basis, so stay tuned if you're looking for something cool to do on that high-tech watch of yours!
    This article was originally published in forum thread: My Five Favorite Apple Watch Apps to Date started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 2 Comments
      therandy -
      Thanks Anthony, good write ups on the individual watch counter parts.....Now i just need to receive my [email protected] watch =/ Expected 13th - 27th
      novadam -
      some of mine: 1Password, Hue, Calcbot, Units

I can't wait for Viper to come out with v4.0 of their app so I can lock, unlock, and start my car from the watch. same goes for the Chamberlain garage door opener. All remote-type apps should be watch apps.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook