• YouTube App No Longer Supported by Older Generation Apple TVs

It has been noted that many second-generation Apple TV units now seem to have YouTube missing from the device. Apparently YouTube has vanished from the home screen icon and any app reference in Settings has also disappeared. Many users reported that Apple did not provide any information in regards to removing the app beforehand and many are frustrated over the change. However, all owners of the third-generation Apple TV won’t have to worry because there will still be support for the app.

When the YouTube Data API received newer features last month from Google, it was announced that second-generation Apple TV devices along with other older devices would no longer have YouTube support. The updated app ended up being unusable on a variety of devices including iOS 6 and earlier iPhones, iPod Touches, and iPads, HDTVs, game consoles, and Blu-ray players.

We understand that support for certain apps will stop after devices get too old and new versions get released. However, many second generation Apple TVs are still being used even though the third-generation device was released back in 2012. Getting rid of apps without warning first also doesn’t seem like Apple’s usual decisions , so we wonder why exactly this happened by surprise. Any thoughts on this matter? Share with us in the section below.

Source: Apple
    This article was originally published in forum thread: YouTube App No Longer Supported by Older Generation Apple TVs started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 4 Comments
      Silvio6 -
      Same happened on my Sony bravia smart tv. But i was warned a few weeks ago. This comes from Youtube using a different technology now, from what i remember. It makes it not compatible with MANY old devices.
      szr -
      Quote Originally Posted by Silvio6 View Post
      Same happened on my Sony bravia smart tv. But i was warned a few weeks ago. This comes from Youtube using a different technology now, from what i remember. It makes it not compatible with MANY old devices.
      It still seems unnecessary to close the previous API/protocol. I have been looking over the changes but I really don't see why they could not have left it on, co-existing with the newer one, just without the latest enhancements that the newer one provides.
      Silvio6 -
      Certain older YouTube apps will no longer be supported after April 2015 - YouTube Help
      Google explains they will shut down the service, this should explain no ?
      cpotoso -
      Quote Originally Posted by Silvio6 View Post
      Certain older YouTube apps will no longer be supported after April 2015 - YouTube Help
      Google explains they will shut down the service, this should explain no ?
      It says... "If you’re using Apple TV 2nd generation or older, unfortunately there’s no current way to watch YouTube on these devices."

Unfortunately? My *ss. This is pure lazyness of google, they could have made a new app that worked, they just decided to f**k a set of customers they don't care. I really dislike google, they keep forcing updates that are not desired (i.e., older versions of browsers no longer support chromecast even though they used to... they simply removed the support) and their software is crappier and crappier.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook