• TomTom Announces Extended Agreement With Apple for Maps Information

TomTom, one of the major affiliates of Apple's integrated iOS mapping solutions, has announced on Tuesday that the company has extended its agreement with Apple for "maps and related information."

Just following the announcement, TomTom shares started jumping to near-record highs.

Although TomTom has been with Apple since the initial launch of Apple Maps in iOS 6, replacing Google Maps in the process, various other companies also have a part in Apple's mapping services. Apple just recently acquired Coherent Navigation to reportedly attempt to enhance the user experience of Apple's mapping services.

Apple's maps have improved drastically since the initial launch of the navigation platform with iOS 6. TomTom, as well as the various other affiliates that play a role in Apple's mapping services, are said to have played a big role in enhancing data accuracy over the years.

Since then, Maps has been adopted on the Mac as a part of the major OS X Yosemite upgrade from last year.

Sources: TomTom
    This article was originally published in forum thread: TomTom Announces Extended Agreement With Apple for Maps Information started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 3 Comments
      edwilk55 -
      Great...so the worst possible satellite images will continue to haunt us! Pathetic when you do a side by side with Google Maps...at least for the spots I've checked.
      SpiderManAPV -
      Iíve never had a TomTom GPS work right. Iím not too worried seeing as how Apple maps have been very reliable as of late, but I have to admit that Iíd trust it a little more if Garmin or Magellan was the name at the bottom.
      edwilk55 -
      I haven't had too much a problem with Apple Maps, but the satellite images are horrid compared to Google. Also, the additional features Google is building in are making it a win. Esp being able to specify not using highways. (I'm a motorcycle rider and love that).

If they build in automatic night mode and figure out a way to have it display on the lock screen (jailbreak please), I'd never use Apple maps again.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook