• Apple Says a Fix is in the Works for a New Unicode Bug That Crashes Your iPhone

A bug, which made Internet headlines yesterday, has been uncovered in Apple's Messages application for iOS as of late that will crash your iPhone if a certain strand of text containing specific unicode characters is sent to your iPhone.

The strand of unicode characters includes some Hebrew characters, as well as others, and is shown in the chat bubble above.

An Apple spokesperson has commented on the problem Wednesday afternoon noting that Apple is reportedly aware of the issue and is working on a fix that will be included in a future software update. Until then, users will have to sit tight.

We are aware of an iMessage issue caused by a specific series of unicode characters and we will make a fix available in a software update.
    If you are targeted by the spam message in the mean time, MacRumors has discovered some possible workarounds that could help you to fight the problem:

• If you're in the conversation view, you can send a reply to fix the problem.
    • If you're in the message thread view, you can have someone send you a new message to fix the problem.

Deleting the problematic message thread afterwards is a good idea. iMore also suggests turning off Lock Screen notifications for the Messages application until the problem is resolved to prevent reboot loops from the Lock Screen.

Have you been affected by the rouge unicode spam message yet?

Sources: iMore & MacRumors
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Says a Fix is in the Works for a Unicode Bug in the iOS Messages App started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 11 Comments
      angerthosenear -
      You can also:
      Use Siri to send the evildoer a text message to boot the unicode message out of the recents list.
      Send a photo from the Photos app to the evildoer.

My friend tried it on me, but doesn't work if you are looking in the conversation. It will affect you:
      Lockscreen notification
      Banner notification
      Messages thread list
      Anywhere else where the unicode characters will be truncated and have "..."

Somewhat of a stop-gap so you aren't affected by new text messages:
      Settings -> Notifications -> Messages -> scroll down and disable “Show Previews”

You will still be affected by it if the unicode characters show up and are truncated, but the above stop-gap will leave you less open to attack.
      angerthosenear -
      Quote Originally Posted by twigwonderkid View Post
      ‏effective.*
      ‏Power
      <removed>
      Can we have these messages removed, any Push notification no matter the source causes this bug to arise.
      twahl3583 -
      There's a tweak on a rogue repo that supposedly helps. Use at your own risk.
      Also, Apple apparently has known about this since iOS 6 lol
      zombie king -
      what semi worked for some people is....

how to imessages setting... keep messages history.. make it so it deletes messages after 30 days...
      then go change the time setting and move it forward 30 days plays then close all apps then turn off phone then turn back on ... then go to tome settings and return it back to normal ... and fingers crossed you should be running again.. just make sure when you change to 30 days it actually gives you a message saying it will delete your messages.. good luck
      TDH Advocate -
      Quote Originally Posted by angerthosenear View Post
      Can we have these messages removed, any Push notification no matter the source causes this bug to arise.
      Only if the notification has enough room to display all of the characters which most apps do not have the banners set for.
      swifty7 -
      this bug means new firmware from apple. At this rate, we will never see another jailbreak again.
      angerthosenear -
      Quote Originally Posted by TDH Advocate View Post
      Only if the notification has enough room to display all of the characters which most apps do not have the banners set for.
      I don't like playing with fire.

And who knows if someone has a RSS feed or other program. The issue supposedly also affects OS X users too in some situations.
      WHUDS -
      Apple needs to stop worrying about Jailbreaking and worry about security more. There is no excuse for this
      psxcancer -
      I think Apple should just work with all the jailbreak makers to secure up the iOS and updates.

Then have 2 iOS updates Versions

• one as a regular update (for people not interested in jailbreaking their device)

. Another with Cydia already installed in the update (for those interested in jailbreaking)

Hey it's a nice dream.
      kelkel5313 -
      I do not have a jailbroken device, received the Unicode through various form. iMessage, SMS, WeChat, WhatsApp, line, Viber, talkbox & telegram from friends. But what amaze me is, my device are not affected by the Unicode at all. I presume that not all iOS are affected by the Unicode.
      Funken Ferret -
      Quote Originally Posted by psxcancer View Post
      I think Apple should just work with all the jailbreak makers to secure up the iOS and updates.

Then have 2 iOS updates Versions

• one as a regular update (for people not interested in jailbreaking their device)

. Another with Cydia already installed in the update (for those interested in jailbreaking)

Hey it's a nice dream.

..... LOL!.... That'll never happen. Apple's iOS kernel is much more secure than android due to sandboxing (i was an iOS advisor for 1 year, 8 or 9 months, including 10 at the senior level ) .; Sandboxing is something that installed in the most basic firmware level, which affects the ways apps use/store their data and give each other permissions for extensions and interacting outside of the native app. Jailbreaking kind of Sidesteps these parameters in many situations and does in fact compromise sandboxing/ security in a sense . It wouldn't make sense for Apple which has the most secure OS for a mobile phone, to open itself up to a potential third party compromising situation. Jailbreaking is essentially hacking the OS, so that you can temporarily circumvent the security; to allow third party, code, features, tweaks and apps...... I honestly , have good grounds to believe that will never happen PsxCancer... but we can dream. ... I'm still Jailbroken on 7.1.2 ... and it's fairly stable for a year now... but really...... i can see what i am doing wrong when in safemode.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook