• Data Reveals Apple's iOS Platform Drives 75% of Google's Mobile Advertising Revenue

Although the competition between Apple and Google continues to grow, Apple’s iOS platform remains an exceptionally important advertising platform for the search giant. One of the many Wall Street estimates attributing as much as three-quarters of Google’s mobile ad revenue to users of Apple’s devices. To be more specific, according to a recent Goldman Sachs analysis cited by The New York Times, of the $11.8 billion in mobile search revenue Google booked last year, 75%, which is nearly $9 billion, came from the iOS platform. Nearly half of the total is attributed to a deal with Apple that makes Google the default search engine for mobile Safari.

This arrangement is thought to cost Google a hefty price of somewhere between $1 billion and $2 billion each year. Many are speculating that this deal will likely end sooner rather than later. The Cupertino California company has been rumored to be swapping to either Yahoo or Bing with the possibility of also entering the market with its own solution as well. Apple is known to be working on a large-scale web search program that is led by the team acquired with social analytics firm, Topsy, back in 2013.

The possibility of Apple working on its own solution or looking to sign a deal with Google’s competitors puts the search giant in a precarious position when it comes to their mobile search traffic. Losing the number of people coming from the iOS platform could be a potentially disastrous scenario. Especially because Google has already seen mobile search volume eclipse desktop search volume in 10 markets, including the US and Japan, with many new Android-based manufacturers foregoing Google’s own services in favor of other local options instead. As many of you might already know, this is especially true in mainland China, where most Google offerings are blocked by several government firewalls.

We’ll have to see what Google does to stay relevant in the situation and what decision Apple responds with.

Source: The New York Times
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Data Reveals Apple's iOS Platform Drives 75% of Google's Mobile Advertising Revenue started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 6 Comments
      rolandgabor -
      I would love to see apple releasing their own search solution to end googles rule over the web. Hijackers.
      ArChAiC69 -
      Quote Originally Posted by rolandgabor View Post
      I would love to see apple releasing their own search solution to end googles rule over the web. Hijackers.
      I second that lol
      rickuk -
      I'd hate to see how bad an Apple search engine would be, anyone remember the disaster that was Apple Maps when it was first released, and still is outside of North America?

Google won't suffer if Apple moved to Bing or Yahoo, even my 82 year old grandmother knows you go to Google to search the internet
      SpiderManAPV -
      Quote Originally Posted by rickuk View Post
      I'd hate to see how bad an Apple search engine would be, anyone remember the disaster that was Apple Maps when it was first released, and still is outside of North America?

Google won't suffer if Apple moved to Bing or Yahoo, even my 82 year old grandmother knows you go to Google to search the internet
      I think you’d really be surprised. I talk to tons of people who don’t know how to change their default search engine and just use whatever is built in.
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by SpiderManAPV View Post
      I think you’d really be surprised. I talk to tons of people who don’t know how to change their default search engine and just use whatever is built in.
      Even if Apple changes the default search engine, Google will find a way to tell everyone how to change. I know when I open Internet Explorer, Google tells me to install Chrome and make it the default browser.
      Jahooba -
      Drop 'em, Apple. Google doesn't care for your platform one bit. The Gmail app is a piece of junk they never update. I'm still sore about that.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook