• Fudan University in China Accused of Ripping Off Apple's Touch ID Logo

China’s Fudan University, one of the country’s most prestigious institutions, recently created a logo for their 110th anniversary and unsurprisingly, like many things out of the country, it seems to bear a striking resemblance to something else we are all familiar with. This time, it seems to have an uncanny resemblance to Apple’s Touch ID emblem, which has led to accusations of copyright infringement against the school.

As noted by the folks over at Kotaku, the new logo appears to have an identical overlap to the Apple Touch ID emblem. Furthermore, this is actually the second scandal in a week for Fudan University, which was forced to take down a promotional video that was nearly identical to that of an earlier one made for the University of Tokyo.

For those of you who didn’t already know, businesses in China have a long history of blatantly violating and ignoring intellectual property law. This seems to be an even stronger issue when the intellectual property is held by foreign companies or institutions. What’s even more worrisome are some results from a study previously headed by former Director of National Intelligence Dennis Blair and former US Ambassador to China, Jon Huntsman. Their study found that the theft of American intellectual property by companies in China have caused an economic losses as high as $300 billion each year. The thefts are referred to as “the greatest transfer of wealth in history” by Gen. Keith Alexander, the former National Security Agency director. Apple has often found itself as a victim in these practices as well.

We’ll have to wait to see if Fudan University makes a formal statement or acknowledges what has happened at all to begin with.

Source: IPCommission, Kotaku via AppleInsider
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Fudan University in China Accused of Ripping Off Apple's Touch ID Logo started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 8 Comments
      XweAponX -
      Ah, that's not even close, they can probably beat that in court.
      X-Men -
      The people who claim about intellectual property rights are craving for money out of anything. Shamelessly they sell even medicine through that. How many poor children are dying in Africa without good medicines while the rest of the world enjoying.

Our ancestors who had natural stuff from the nature didn't pay any copyright money to god to eat those stuff. But when they produce something from the knowledge they are given by god, they need the patent and rights for that. How the mind of human has been evolved.... Utter shame....

The claim "if there is no copyright law there won't be any invention" is a most deceiving theory. The how were there inventions before?

Think about human being as whole. Think others as your brothers and sisters. We are in this planet to grow as a species which help each other. We all are people of planet earth Shouldn't divide like I'm American I'm chines I'm christian I'm muslim.....
      rickuk -
      The Apple version looks pretty close to my fingerprint, looks like I'm going to cut off my fingers so I don't fall foul of copyright
      holyshnikes -
      Not that this it's the same thing... By China makes their own bootleg iPhones all the time. It'd be pissed if I were Apple.
      peacedog -
      Quote Originally Posted by rickuk View Post
      The Apple version looks pretty close to my fingerprint, looks like I'm going to cut off my fingers so I don't fall foul of copyright
      You should sue Apple for copying your fingerprint.
      CZroe -
      Not the best example to use as a launchpad for a discussion on Chinese ripping off Apple: Did we totally forget Apple has ripped off their icons too?Remember: the iOS7 clock design was stolen from that train station.

This whole thing reminds me of the "ZOMG! China even has fake Apple Stores!" reaction when THE USA HAS FAKE APPLE STORES TOO! Most are authorized to use Apple logos because they are authorized repair centers, but they go all the way with the wooden tables and metallic walls. Everyone in my town is so convinced that we have an Apple Store at Ashley Park in Newnan, GA (Computer Advantage) and that there is another in Peachtree City, GA (Simply Mac) that they make it a point to contradict/"correct" me when I complain about how far away the closest Apple Store is.

Quote Originally Posted by XweAponX View Post
      Ah, that's not even close, they can probably beat that in court.
      It's almost identical but mirror-image flipped.
      szr -
      Quote Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
      It's almost identical but mirror-image flipped.
      If you make an impression of your finger onto a surface and make it visible, then you would have a mirror image of what you see when you look at your finger.
      CZroe -
      Quote Originally Posted by szr View Post
      If you make an impression of your finger onto a surface and make it visible, then you would have a mirror image of what you see when you look at your finger.
      Of course, but I was pointing that out to someone claiming that it didn't look anything like Apple's.

Like the clock or many things made with a commercial or open resource library, Apple may have got it from somewhere else for all we know.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook