• Showtime Follows HBO Into the Business of Stand-Alone Services

Get ready for Showtime's stand-alone service on Apple TV.

Following HBO's lead, Showtime will be offered over the internet as a stand-alone streaming service launching next month (early July is the estimated timeframe for launch).

Apple is the premium cable network's first partner, we're told. The service will simply be called "SHOWTIME." Apple TV, iDevice and Mac users can enjoy the service for a monthly fee of $10.99.

“Going over-the-top means Showtime will be much more accessible to tens of millions of potential new subscribers,” says Leslie Moonves, CBS Corporation’s CEO. “Across CBS, we are constantly finding new ways to monetize our programming by capitalizing on opportunities presented by technology. This works best when you have outstanding premium content – like we do at Showtime – and when you have a terrific partner like Apple – which continues to innovate and build upon its loyal customer base.”

As you might expect, subscribers will have unlimited on-demand access to pretty much all Showtime content.

Source: CBS Corp. press release
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Showtime Follows HBO Into the Business of Stand-Alone Services started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 3 Comments
      NSXrebel -
      Good. We need more networks to follow suit. Of course I get most of my media via other means, but the day Univision jumps on the bandwagon (and they offer local broadcasting), is the day I get an Apple TV for the parents
      exNavy -
      Meh. I ain't paying for each and every channel that I like a show on per month. I'll just buy the season somewhere at the end of the season. Cable TV needs to evolve into allowing subscribers to pick and choose exactly what channels they want and then spitting out a reasonable monthly bill. Buying channels piece meal at $10 a pop is a stupid idea unless you only like a couple channels or you just have money to burn.

Now if I can pay $10 for 1 month of showtime and watch the entire season of Homeland 4 in one month, then I'm all over it.
      NSXrebel -
      Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
      Meh. I ain't paying for each and every channel that I like a show on per month. I'll just buy the season somewhere at the end of the season. Cable TV needs to evolve into allowing subscribers to pick and choose exactly what channels they want and then spitting out a reasonable monthly bill. Buying channels piece meal at $10 a pop is a stupid idea unless you only like a couple channels or you just have money to burn.

Now if I can pay $10 for 1 month of showtime and watch the entire season of Homeland 4 in one month, then I'm all over it.
      You will be able to buy 1 month of (insert channel here) and view an entire season of whatever show they have. Provided you wait till the last show of the season. Honestly, if you need more than a handful of tv shows/channels, you're watching too much damn tv.

Personally, I just want a season pass for access to Formula1 and MotoGP, preferably coverage by SkySports or BBC. American commentators suck bad, and they have too many commercials and don't show all practice sessions, qualifying, pre and post race coverage. As of right now, I download all of this from torrent sites. I can stream, but it is crappy. I rather watch in HD.

For everything else, I have netflix.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook