• Older Apple Devices to Lose Yahoo Support for Mail and Contact Syncing

Those who own Apple devices running iOS 5 and earlier and use Yahoo on the same device, should know that they plan on discontinuing support on the older iOS devices and Macs. Yahoo’s recent announcement noted that the changes will affect Apple’s built-in Mail app with Yahoo Mail on iPod Touches, iPhones, and iPads. Users who sync Yahoo contacts on Apple desktops running older OS X will be affected as well.

According to Yahoo, these changes will go into effect on June 15th, which is now less than two weeks away. When this change takes place, Yahoo Mail will only be able to work on Apple devices with iOS 5 or later in Apple’s built-in Mail app. Apparently the company is doing this due to functionality and security reasons.

As for the Cupertino-based company’s desktops, those running OS X Lion 10.7 and earlier will no longer have Yahoo contact syncing and support for Yahoo Mail on Apple’s Mail app. You will then have to access your account by using the web version.

Source: Yahoo
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Older Apple Devices to Lose Yahoo Support for Mail and Contact Syncing started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 16 Comments
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Akshay Masand View Post

...Apple devices running iOS 5 and earlier and use Yahoo on the same device, should know that they plan on discontinuing support...

Yahoo Mail will only be able to work on Apple devices with iOS 5 or later in Apple’s built-in Mail app.
      I'm confused. What happens to people on iOS 5?
      SpiderManAPV -
      Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
      I'm confused. What happens to people on iOS 5?
      It sounds like iOS 5 is being discontinued.
      sheltons.iphone -
      They're all in cahoots to make you buy new and updated devices. That's the easiest way to force sales.
      SpiderManAPV -
      Quote Originally Posted by sheltons.iphone View Post
      They're all in cahoots to make you buy new and updated devices. That's the easiest way to force sales.
      You people really see conspiracy in everything. The only devices still on iOS 5 is the original ipad, released in early 2010. It’s been 5 stinking years. You don’t think that maybe tech has moved enough that apps may not have either a) the ability to or b) the need too support 5 year old hardware?

Heck, I bet the number of people still on iOS 5 is less than 1% of all iOS users. You really think Apple cares SO much about that less than 1% that they’d make a deal with another company that rivals them in some ways to update their app just to get them to upgrade?

Even that doesn’t make any sense. Does anyone really care SO much about the yahoo mail app that they’d go out and buy a new ipad just for the sake of using the absolute newest yahoo mail app?
      sharktank -
      Lol at people who still use Yahoo and AOL for email.
      docmagoo2 -
      Quote Originally Posted by sharktank View Post
      Why mock? I have a @yahoo.com email address and I've had it for over 18 years now. Granted I don't use it for anything serious, but I'm sentimental about this! Now AOL is a different matter [emoji6]
      vinaygoel2000 -
      What do u use, if I may ask?
      sharktank -
      Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
      What do u use, if I may ask?
      I use a private Exchange account for most important emails and Gmail for junk. Sorry if I offended you. I also have a Yahoo account, but I only use it for junk. Do you suggest that I use Yahoo as my primary account over my Exchange or gmail accounts? If so, why?

Quote Originally Posted by docmagoo2 View Post
      Why mock? I have a @yahoo.com email address and I've had it for over 18 years now. Granted I don't use it for anything serious, but I'm sentimental about this! Now AOL is a different matter [emoji6]
      Sorry to offend anyone but I'm starting to hear, "The 90s called and asked for their email address back" when an AOL.com address is used. If that doesn't already apply to Yahoo then it might soon. I still have a Yahoo(pacbell.net) account too but it's also used for junk. As a fairly progressive IT professional I give clients a hard time--a lot of times jokingly--when they fall behind in technology. I still see people use yahoo.com and aol.com addresses for their business and it makes me feel a little sick. If I was looking to hire an attorney or any other so called professional, I'd be a little worried if they used yahoo, AOL or even regular gmail for their business. Like it or not, I will keep looking and so will a lot of other people. Sometimes my words can be offensive to clients, but someone needs to tell them when they should make changes before they fall so far behind that it negatively affects their business. Whether they make the changes is up to them. Maybe I'm wrong about all of this and someone just needs to convince me that I'm completely out of my mind.
      vtails -
      Quote Originally Posted by SpiderManAPV View Post
      It sounds like iOS 5 is being discontinued.
      It makes prefect sence that apple made the suggestion to yahoo, in hopes that these people would have to buy an newer apple product.I have an iMac with 10.7.5,am I cut off to ?
      SpiderManAPV -
      Quote Originally Posted by vtails View Post
      It makes prefect sence that apple made the suggestion to yahoo, in hopes that these people would have to buy an newer apple product.I have an iMac with 10.7.5,am I cut off to ?
      That really doesn’t even make sense though. Even assuming apple did, in fact, suggest this to yahoo, do they really think Yahoo mail is going to put people over the edge to buy a new ipad? I can imagine the horror. “Dear, God! Yahoo mail isn’t supported any more! I’ll have to use a version of it that isn’t up to date or go an entirely new ipad to check my mail! Oh, no I won’t. The built in client supports yahoo. Oh well, it’s not as good, but at least it doesn’t cost $500+.”
      vinaygoel2000 -
      I use a private Exchange account for most important emails and Gmail for junk. Sorry if I offended you. I also have a Yahoo account, but I only use it for junk. Do you suggest that I use Yahoo as my primary account over my Exchange or gmail accounts? If so, why?
      You did not offend me. I was just curious since Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail (well not any more) were the only three (two) major email carriers I knew of. How would I go about setting up an exchange account? I do have exchange account for my work but is that something I can use personally for free?
      sheltons.iphone -
      Quote Originally Posted by SpiderManAPV View Post
      That really doesn’t even make sense though. Even assuming apple did, in fact, suggest this to yahoo, do they really think Yahoo mail is going to put people over the edge to buy a new ipad? I can imagine the horror. “Dear, God! Yahoo mail isn’t supported any more! I’ll have to use a version of it that isn’t up to date or go an entirely new ipad to check my mail! Oh, no I won’t. The built in client supports yahoo. Oh well, it’s not as good, but at least it doesn’t cost $500+.”
      You're blind if you don't see the obvious.
      SpiderManAPV -
      Quote Originally Posted by sheltons.iphone View Post
      You're blind if you don't see the obvious.
      Seriously? What is so obvious about this? Planned obsoletion is most definitely a thing. It’s also definitely a thing Apple does. But how does it make sense to do that with Yahoo mail, of all things.

Edit: Grammar
      WHUDS -
      Apple is the company that created the 24 month Obsolete cycle. They started as a computer company .
      When they sell an Apple computer for 1100 customers keep them and use them 3 to 5 years, the process of getting computer users to purchase a new computer every 1.5 to 2 years is next to impossible in large numbers.

In comes the Ipad under 1000 and the re purchase cycle increased, then the iphone and Apple found a sweet spot. With phone companies charging a percentage of phone cost up front and then higher charges for using the phone, Apple had a product that large numbers of people are willing to "upgrade" in 2 years or less.

Conspiracy to end support? No its good business for apple.
      saeeds2000 -
      Damn, i have ios 5 SHIIIIT!!!! I hope it would be wrong
      saeeds2000 -
      Good news. That was wrong. I can still use it. Even after i restored my ipod touch about a month ago
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook