• Apple Online Store No Longer Offering 2-Year Contract for AT&T

We reported recently that AT&T has decided to get rid of 2-year contracts and that Apple Stores would also be getting rid of that option with their iPhones for the mobile carrier. It was recently discovered that the Cupertino-based company has already removed that option from its online store, which means customers are officially no longer allowed to purchase iPhones from Apple under 2-year contacts. Those who are looking to upgrade to an iPhone will now only be able to do so through the carrier’s Next program.

Next customers will have to make monthly payments for 12, 18, or 24 months and then will be able to upgrade. On Apple’s website, the 16GB iPhone 6 starts at $21.64 a month and then $32.45 for the Next 12 option. The 128GB 6 Plus starts at $31.64 with AT&T Next. A lot of people have voiced their unhappiness with the mobile carrier in doing this, but it seems like other carriers will also be following in the upcoming months. Take a look at the price breakdown below:

iPhone 6
    - 16GB: Starts at $21.64/month
    - 64GB: Starts at $24.97/month
    - 128GB: Starts at $28.30/month

iPhone 6 Plus
    - 16GB: Starts at $24.97/month
    - 64GB: Starts at $28.30/month
    - 128GB: Starts at $31.64/month

Source: Apple
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Online Store No Longer Offering 2-Year Contract for AT&T started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 17 Comments
      Brandon.amos -
      I still don't like having to pay monthly. It makes devices more accessible, but then you are stuck with yet another monthly bill on top of your regular cellphone bill. And in the end, you end up paying more than if they still had the old way of $300-$400. Now we get to pay upwards of $600+ over time. At least you can upgrade easier now I guess.
      Carvensno -
      Quote Originally Posted by Brandon.amos View Post
      I still don't like having to pay monthly. It makes devices more accessible, but then you are stuck with yet another monthly bill on top of your regular cellphone bill. And in the end, you end up paying more than if they still had the old way of $300-$400. Now we get to pay upwards of $600+ over time. At least you can upgrade easier now I guess.
      Only if you pay till the end. I'm not lol! I'm trading in after 12 months for the new model.
      bmwraw8482 -
      What do their actual plans cost after the $xx /month for the phones? Are they cheaper than on-contract plans with the same amount of data
      Carvensno -
      Your phone and data plans don't change and have nothing to do with the price of the phone. Whatever min/data plan you have now stays the same.
      iBwizzle -
      My only issue with the iPhone is the mid-range hardware at a high price. The 2-3 years of software updates is the only benefit I can respectfully accept. With that said, AT&T has to bring more to the table interns of pricing and data allotment. There service maybe more reliable but I'm willing to sacrifice coverage for a cheaper monthly cost. My life doesn't revolve around having superior cellular coverage.
      WHUDS -
      Quote Originally Posted by iBwizzle View Post
      My only issue with the iPhone is the mid-range hardware at a high price. The 2-3 years of software updates is the only benefit I can respectfully accept. With that said, AT&T has to bring more to the table interns of pricing and data allotment. There service maybe more reliable but I'm willing to sacrifice coverage for a cheaper monthly cost. My life doesn't revolve around having superior cellular coverage.
      Whats so inferior? It works better than any android my family and I have ever owned
      luvmytj -
      Looks like I will hang onto our families phones longer, much longer.
      I am not paying an additional approx. $450 per phone, X 4 phones that I currently buy subsidized.
      WHUDS -
      Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
      Looks like I will hang onto our families phones longer, much longer.
      I am not paying an additional approx. $450 per phone, X 4 phones that I currently buy subsidized.
      Did ATT stop the reduced charge for non contracted phones? Family plans or share plans with more than 6gb data the charge per smart phone is 15 a month instead of 40, thats 25 less a month, if the phone is 30 a month your paying 5 dollars more for 24 months thats not 400 more its about 120 over the 40 a month would cost. Verizon is doing the same thing. BTW a base Iphone 6 is 199 to start so in reality you save 79 dollars
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by WHUDS View Post
      Whats so inferior? It works better than any android my family and I have ever owned
      Guy never said "inferior". He said "mid-range", which I agree with. Does the phone lag - no, does it freeze - no, does it have mid-range hardware - yes.
      iBwizzle -
      Quote Originally Posted by WHUDS View Post
      Huh? Where did the comparison of Android come from? I was referring to AT&T costly plans and cellular coverage.
      politicalslug -
      Does anyone know how AppleCare works if you're basically just leasing the phone for a couple years or less?
      gldoorii -
      Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
      Only if you pay till the end. I'm not lol! I'm trading in after 12 months for the new model.
      Yea, but if you had a 16 GB iPhone at $22 a month for 12 months, that's $264 bucks just for the phone that you have to give back to get another one...or...pay $200 for a phone for two years and have something to sell to pay for the next upgrade you do.

I would love to upgrade every 12 months, but I'm not paying MORE to LEASE the phone than I currently pay to BUY it.
      bmwraw8482 -
      ^^its starting to sound like I'm going to be stuck with an iPhone 6 for a while, unless plan prices really come down.
      NewD -
      Yeah.. It's a new day. And keep in mind that the "starts at" prices listed in post 1 are for the NEXT24 plan.. which is the cheapest monthly price because you don't get to upgrade until after 20 payments..

A 16GB iPhone 6S on NEXT12, where you can get a new phone after 12 payments is $32.45/mo.. So you'll pay $389.40 and then turn in your phone for a new one.. So like a 0% financing lease deal. Oh.. And you have to pay the sales tax on the retail price the day you get your phone. So $649 (x your state's sales tax) for a 16GB iPhone 6S - paid at the store.

But keep in mind - you're no longer in a 2yr contract from what I'm reading. Wonder if that means the phones will all be factory unlocked. I guess not til you own it after all payments..

And what's this NEXT12 + 30% Downpay get you that the other plans don't?
      NewD -
      Quote Originally Posted by gldoorii View Post
      I would love to upgrade every 12 months, but I'm not paying MORE to LEASE the phone than I currently pay to BUY it.
      This is where it's such a blatant money grab from AT&T's and the other carriers' perspective. It's like they're going to be doubling their profit on this move to all NEXT almost immediately. Talk about feeling trapped. Just makes ya wanna 'go postal' sometimes! And the carriers all have each other's back. Like the airlines.
      Carvensno -
      Quote Originally Posted by NewD View Post
      Yeah.. It's a new day. And keep in mind that the "starts at" prices listed in post 1 are for the NEXT24 plan.. which is the cheapest monthly price because you don't get to upgrade until after 20 payments..

A 16GB iPhone 6S on NEXT12, where you can get a new phone after 12 payments is $32.45/mo.. So you'll pay $389.40 and then turn in your phone for a new one.. So like a 0% financing lease deal. Oh.. And you have to pay the sales tax on the retail price the day you get your phone. So $649 (x your state's sales tax) for a 16GB iPhone 6S - paid at the store.

But keep in mind - you're no longer in a 2yr contract from what I'm reading. Wonder if that means the phones will all be factory unlocked. I guess not til you own it after all payments..

And what's this NEXT12 + 30% Downpay get you that the other plans don't?
      My 6+ I have right now on Next 12month is unlocked lol. Did on their website in December no questions asked. Just fill it out and they unlocked it lol.
      NewD -
      Interesting.. It sure makes sense that now that they're just 'leasing' us the phone.. We should have the ability to put any SIM card we want in it.. They'd have a hard timing justifying their argument to keep it locked - not that they're making us pay 'full retail' prices for it.

Good to hear AT&T's doing the right thing and unlocking by just simply asking.

The poor 3rd party unlock vendors on the internet. This will SERIOUSLY cut into their business... LOOL..
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook