• Apple Announces Watch OS 2 With Native Apps, Custom Complications, and Much More

On Monday, Apple announced Watch OS 2 at WWDC 2015.

Watch OS 2 brings many new features that have been highly demanded by Apple Watch users. Among those are native applications that no longer require an iPhone to piggyback off of. A new SDK gives developers a way to create applications specifically for the Apple Watch. These applications can use a Wi-Fi network to update their data instead of having to communicate with the iPhone to do so.

Moreover, developers now have the power to create third-party complications for the Apple Watch, so now your Watch Face can have non-native complications for your favorite third-party applications without the need to actually launch the application or glances to see the information that you want.

Apple is also adding more Watch Faces, such as a new Photo Slideshow face that lets you see the time over your photos. With time travel, you can now see future complication information right from your Watch Face by scrolling with the digital crown, so if you want to see the weather in an hour, you can scroll up to the next hour to see the information coming up in the next hour.

E-mail replying, FaceTime Audio, and improvements to alarms have also been implemented in Watch OS 2, as well as native fitness features for applications dealing with workouts that now get recorded to your native fitness information. Moreover, you can play video, listen to music, and even use the Apple Watch microphone for things you couldn't before.

Apple Watch is also gaining support for iOS 9's new Wallet features, Transit features, and new Siri features. For example, Siri can now open third-party glances by your voice.

Hardware is also getting more attention. Developers can now access more control and data from the accelerometer, heart rate monitor, taptic engine, and digital crown, making for a more native experience for users.

Watch OS 2 is available to developers in beta starting today and will be available to the public in the Fall, along with iOS 9.

Stay tuned for more goodies from WWDC 2015 here on ModMyi!
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Announces Watch OS 2 With Native Apps, Custom Complications, and Much More started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 14 Comments
      bigboyz -
      I hope they make plenty of stand alone services/apps for the Apple Watch. I don't want to carry my phone with me all the time if I don't have to :]
      Brandon.amos -
      Doesn't the Apple Watch utilize the iPhone for Internet?
      novadam -
      I believe that in certain circumstances it will use wifi. Not sure how that works though (and I actually have one lol).
      Brandon.amos -
      Quote Originally Posted by novadam View Post
      I believe that in certain circumstances it will use wifi. Not sure how that works though (and I actually have one lol).
      Haha. You're right, I remember them saying something about wifi now that I think about it.
      NewD -
      I don't think there's a wifi antenna in Apple Watch. Only Bluetooth. So it's a mystery why they'd be claiming "access to Wifi" without the phone. From my understanding that would be impossible right now.
      Rcworship -
      It seems you should be able to add more watch faces from other sources, not just built-in faces.

So, I see you will be able to listen to music, but will it store music? The paragraph (4) wasn't very clear.

I'm probably going to hold out until I can take my watch for a run and leave my phone. So GPS is a hope as well as onboard music storage capacity. Wait and see...
      bigboyz -
      The watch stores music since day 1. With the update to OS Watch beta, you get the option of playing through watch or phone within the Music app on watch. That's pretty cool! I also like the new watch face..moving clouds over a landscape and water [emoji106]🏿
      novadam -
      Quote Originally Posted by NewD View Post
      I don't think there's a wifi antenna in Apple Watch. Only Bluetooth. So it's a mystery why they'd be claiming "access to Wifi" without the phone. From my understanding that would be impossible right now.
      https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204562

from that, it sounds like your iPhone still needs to be on the same wifi network. if it's within the same network, but too far for Bluetooth, it will use wifi.

Kind of weird.
      Simon -
      There is a wifi chip in the Apple Watch. It can access any wifi you have connected your phone to.

Inside Apple Watch’s ultra compact S1 chip exposes RAM, radios, a custom Apple processor, more | 9to5Mac
      NewD -
      Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
      There is a wifi chip in the Apple Watch. It can access any wifi you have connected your phone to.

Inside Apple Watch’s ultra compact S1 chip exposes RAM, radios, a custom Apple processor, more | 9to5Mac
      what does the watch use its Wi-Fi antenna for and what does it have to rely on your phone's wifi antenna for then?
      SpiderManAPV -
      what does the watch use its Wi-Fi antenna for and what does it have to rely on your phone's wifi antenna for then?
      If I understand correctly if you’re on a known wifi network you can still have your watch connect to your phone even when out of Bluetooth range.
      Anthony Bouchard -
      what does the watch use its Wi-Fi antenna for
      The Apple Watch can send iMessages without being connected to an iPhone as long as it is on a Wi-Fi network that your iPhone has been on previously. There are also some other features on the Apple Watch that work on Wi-Fi without an iPhone, although I can't really drum up a huge list for you on such short notice.

what does it have to rely on your phone's wifi antenna for then?
      Because Bluetooth 4.0 low energy uses less power. The Apple Watch has a really tiny battery in it. If you were using Wi-Fi for everything, your watch would be dead in just hours, rather than a day.
      Simon -
      Put it this way. I can turn Bluetooth off and my watch can stay connected to my phone using wifi. All the apps will still work. If I turn wifi off on phone as well and completely disconnect my phone the watch can stay connected to that wifi network and native apps should still work, like weather for example. Third party apps will not work without a connection to the phone, yet. Apple Watch OS 2 should allow third party developers to have independent from connecting to a phone apps. So from my understanding Watch OS 2 could function as a stand alone device a lot better than it can now.
      NewD -
      That's clearer now. Thanks!
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook