• Simplified: Here's a List of the Biggest New Features & Improvements in iOS 9

Apple just announced iOS 9, the next iteration of the operating system that drives and powers Apple's mobile devices, like the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad.

Although iOS 9 focuses mainly on making its current features more powerful and improving the stability and performance of iOS as a whole on all devices, Apple has brought some significant changes via iOS 9 that are worth noting.

As we're sure you want a simplified digest of the features (TL;DR), we've composed a list of all of the greatest new features you can expect from iOS 9 that Apple has publicized:

New Features in iOS 9:

1. A new News application that can be tailored to your personal news/blog interests
    2. An improved Notes application that accepts text formatting, images, smart links, sketches, checklists, and other interactive content
    3. An improved Maps application that gives you transit directions, walking distances, and the ability to see what's nearby with Yelp-like discovery
    4. A new Wallet application that stores your Apple Pay credit cards/debit cards, store loyalty cards, boarding passes, coupons, and more
    5. CarPlay now works wirelessly with your car to provide music, notifications, and much more
    6. Siri just became smarter with an Apple Watch-style interface and the ability to search for things on your iPhone more effectively, perform more personalized actions, and more intelligent responses and features
    7. An all-new start screen next to your Home Screen with shortcuts to your favorite contacts, applications, SpotLight, Siri, news, and what's nearby
    8. Plugging in headphones or speakers now instantly displays music controls on your Lock Screen
    9. Caller ID improvements now suggest who may be calling you when you get that random number on your Lock Screen
    10. An all-new low power mode is now available to save your device's battery when it's getting low
    11. Developers now have access to even more APIs to make third-party applications even better on iOS 9 devices all across the board

New Features in iOS 9 Designed Specifically for iPad

1. All-new multitasking experience with redesigned App Switcher, side-by-side applications, and slide-over quick reply
    2. New video experience allowing you to have picture-in-picture multitasking so you can watch a video while you write an essay or surf the Web
    3. An improved QuickType keyboard with text-editing tools, like cut, copy, paste, and text-formatting tools like bold, italics, underline, and attachments
    4. An improved text editing experience with two-finger swipe gestures that let you position the cursor where you want it

Improvements to iOS That Aren't Really New 'Features'

1. iOS 9 can make your iOS device last up to one whole hour longer than with iOS 8 or earlier installed on it
    2. iOS 9 OTA (over the air) updates have been made much smaller to improve storage space problems on earlier versions of iOS (iOS 9 is only 1.3GB OTA, while iOS 8 was 4.58GB)
    3. iOS 9 has been given improved animation fluidity, responsiveness, and performance due to fine-tuning performance with the CPU and GPU, especially with Metal
    4. iOS 9 gains improved security with six digit passcodes and two-factor authentication
    5. Apple now provides an app to easily migrate your data from Android devices to iOS devices for those making the switch

iOS 9 is currently in its first developer beta, but it will be available to the general public starting this Fall. iOS 9 works on all devices that can run iOS 8, so Apple hasn't dropped support for any devices with this release. Compatible devices include:

• iPhone 4s
    • iPhone 5
    • iPhone 5c
    • iPhone 5s
    • iPhone 6
    • iPhone 6 Plus
    • iPod touch 5th generation
    • iPad mini
    • iPad mini 2
    • iPad mini 3
    • iPad 2
    • iPad 3rd generation
    • iPad 4th generation
    • iPad Air
    • iPad Air 2

You can watch our video overview of these new features compliments of iPhone Captain below:

For recaps on what's new in Watch OS 2 and OS X 10.11 El Capitan, you can follow the following links to find out more:

Source: Apple
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Simplified: Here's a List of The Biggest New Features & Improvements in iOS 9 started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 30 Comments
      TDH Advocate -
      The fluidity and what not is currently not true. We probably won't see it looking smooth until like public launch honestly. But beta 1 is still very nice so far.
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by TDH Advocate View Post
      The fluidity and what not is currently not true. We probably won't see it looking smooth until like public launch honestly. But beta 1 is still very nice so far.
      Well yeah, it's a beta.
      ThuD Muffin -
      Have you had a chance to see what exactly the battery saving mode does?
      blueaviator -
      It's unbelievable how Apple includes jailbreak community tweaks in their software updates... For instance, I have been using "Videopane" since a loooong time... Apple is doing the same now... As a lot of people say around here, Apple "borrows" most of their improvements from the Jailbreak community. And this iOS9 more than ever... Shame on you Apple... And you still want to finish Jailbreak? Without it, you are nothing!!!
      Answer1o1 -
      It's not worth losing a jailbreak. iOS 9 should have more multitasking stuff for the iPhone 6 plus. Not only the iPad Air 2..
      talkin73 -
      Quote Originally Posted by blueaviator View Post
      It's unbelievable how Apple includes jailbreak community tweaks in their software updates... For instance, I have been using "Videopane" since a loooong time... Apple is doing the same now... As a lot of people say around here, Apple "borrows" most of their improvements from the Jailbreak community. And this iOS9 more than ever... Shame on you Apple... And you still want to finish Jailbreak? Without it, you are nothing!!!
      Agree that eliminating jailbreak might reduce ability to steal tweaks but I am all for apple adding useful tweaks to the native iOS. Sounds like smart business to me and a way to keep the os relevant and evolving.
      fluffybunnyabc -
      Think I'm gonna give this beta ago after 8.1 is causing issues with all sorts then if it ain't any good I'll jailbreak 8.4 next week or whenever they bring it out.
      jetsetjoey -

The day that JailBreaking is not an option is the day I'll switch to a Samsung Galaxy Sx.
      cjzielie -
      Quote Originally Posted by TDH Advocate View Post
      did your beta come with the news app ? mine didnt
      Glawrence33 -
      Quote Originally Posted by cjzielie View Post
      did your beta come with the news app ? mine didnt
      No news here as well.
      rolandgabor -
      iPhone captain is unbearable. I tried to watch the video but farmer john is distracting after 3 seconds.[emoji38][emoji38]
      Zokunei -
      Most boring keynote I've watched by far. I would have liked to see an expansion of iCloud Drive, like for mail attachments and file uploads in Safari, or at least one useful feature for iPhones.

There wasn't even a list of features that went uncovered like there usually is because it's such a small update.
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
      Most boring keynote I've watched by far. I would have liked to see an expansion of iCloud Drive, like for mail attachments and file uploads in Safari, or at least one useful feature for iPhones.

There wasn't even a list of features that went uncovered like there usually is because it's such a small update.
      We reported on this quite a while ago, but it's not a small update by a long shot; it's all under the hood. It just doesn't have a ton of new features. The community has begged Apple for stability for a really long time, and they are finally answering our needs and making everything more fluid and more bearable to use.

It's something they had to do. But yeah the Keynote was pretty boring because of it.
      holyshnikes -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
      We reported on this quite a while ago, but it's not a small update by a long shot; it's all under the hood. It just doesn't have a ton of new features. The community has begged Apple for stability for a really long time, and they are finally answering our needs and making everything more fluid and more bearable to use.

It's something they had to do. But yeah the Keynote was pretty boring because of it.
      It wasn't as exciting as it normally is (however, Apple Music looks promising). The iOS updates are really just to hash out the bugs. I'm liking the beta so far, but I LOATHE having the spotlight search to the left of the home page. I was so glad when they got rid of it in iOS 8. I always accidentally would go to it and it would load the keyboard...drove me nuts. This at least doesn't load the keyboard by default, which is nice...and they did add more features to it, but I'd rather it be a swipe down from the screen anywhere to get to it. It seems more natural that way. By the way, the swipe down on the screen works still, but only for searching, it does not include the other spotlight features that they highlighted in the keynote.
      holyshnikes -
      By the way, you STILL can't drag your icons where you want them...they still align to the same old lines scheme. Come on Tim!
      ThuD Muffin -
      Is it possible we're nearing some sort of software plateau where big usability changes are going to be seen less and less? Are the days of revamping most features of the OS over? iOS 9 seems to mimic iOS 6 where the largest of changes was the overall system stability and security. Id much rather have a very polished version of iOS 8 (iOS 9) that includes a couple of new features, but overall focuses on making sure end user features all work correctly the way they were designed
      hogcia -
      Nothing new. Could care less about better "stability". All Apple cares about is killing JB.

Why can't the iPhone 6+ have multitasking???

Just give me a JB for iOS8 while I wait for iOS10 and I'll be happy.
      ThuD Muffin -
      I've got a feeling the teams already have an 8.4 jailbreak they'll release when that comes out and they're probably having a field day with the new iOS 9 beta.
      Al226 -
      Meanwhile native quick reply is still absolute garbage, actually, calling it absolute garbage is a giant compliment, that's how bad it is. Missing Bitesms big time, using messages+ for now, waiting for Messages from Ma Jun, but that doesn't seem like it'll ever happen either. And no, I don't wanna use Couria, etc. They don't fit my messaging needs. Only Bitesms did; Messages by Ma Jun looks like it might.
      fleurya -
      Apple/Google have been internalizing popular jailbreak/root tweaks for as long as they have been made. This is nothing new. Android users love to brag that Apple stole notifications from Google, but Google stole it from secs to begin with.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook