• Simplified: Here's A List of the Biggest New Features & Improvements in OS X 10.11 El Capitan

On Monday at the WWDC 2015 Keynote, Apple announced OS X 10.11 El Capitan, which is the next major step up of OS X for Apple's premier Mac machines.

OS X 10.11 El Capitan focuses mostly on improving the performance, stability, and security of OS X as a whole, although Apple still managed to pack in a few new features that will make you want to make the upgrade.

As we're sure you want a simplified digest of the new features (TL;DR), we've composed a list of all of the greatest new features you can expect from OS X 10.11 El Capitan that Apple has publicized:

New Features in OS X 10.11 El Capitan:

1. A new Windows 7 Snaps-style split view multitasking makes it super easy to have two applications running side-by-side on your screen at once
    2. An improved Mission Control makes it so you can more easily manage your desktops, the applications running in each desktop, and create side-by-side multitasking scenarios for each desktop
    3. If you have lost your cursor on your screen somewhere, you can violently move your finger over the track pad to call it out
    4. An improved SpotLight with more refined search results that are smarter and tailored to what you are looking for with support for personalized search queries and improvements to search sources
    5. An improved Mail application with better full-screen support and improvements to adding attachments, adding contacts, adding calendar events, and iOS-style swipe gestures for your inbox messages
    6. An improved Notes application that accepts text formatting, images, smart links, sketches, checklists, and other interactive content
    7. An improved Photos application with added photo editing tools and sharing tools
    8. An improved Safari Web browser with Web site pinning, audio cancellation (good for Rick Rolls), AirPlay Web video sharing, and more
    9. An improved Maps application that gives you transit directions, walking distances, and the ability to see what's nearby with Yelp-like discovery
    10. Support for Metal GPU API to improve efficiency and power of graphics and rendering
    11. Improved font, keyboard input, and track pad input for Chinese users
    12. Improved font and keyboard input for Japanese users

Improvements to Mac OS X That Aren't Really New 'Features'

1. OS X 10.11 El Capitan improves system performance and stability by speeding up features, animations, processes, and giving your computer a more responsive feel
    2. OS X 10.11 El Capitan improves computing, graphics, and rendering performance on various fronts; app launching is up to 1.4x faster, app switching is up to 2x faster, loading e-mails is up to 2x faster, and viewing PDFs in Preview is up to 4x faster
    3. Swift 2 programming language for iOS 9 & OS X 10.11 El Capitan will be an open source project later this year

OS X 10.11 El Capitan is currently in its first developer beta, but it will be available to the general public starting this Fall. OS X 10.11 El Capitan works on all devices that can run OS X Yosemite, so Apple hasn't dropped support for any machines with this release. It will be a free upgrade too!

You can watch our video overview of these new features compliments of iPhone Captain below:

For recaps on what's new in iOS 9 and Watch OS 2, you can follow the following links to find out more:

Sources: Apple
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Simplified: A List of the Biggest New Features & Improvements in OS X 10.11 El Capitan started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 13 Comments
      mazzanic -
      I enjoy it so far! The font is much easier on the eyes. Name of OSX kind of interesting.....
      NewD -
      Quote Originally Posted by mazzanic View Post
      I enjoy it so far! The font is much easier on the eyes. Name of OSX kind of interesting.....
      Mavericks (horses) was the last of the "animals" (Mountain Lion, Lion, Snow Leopard, Leopard, Tiger, Panther, Jaguar, Puma, Cheetah (= cats).. Yosemite and El Capitan are the names of mountain peaks often the goal of great mountain climbers. You'll eventually see OSX "Everest".. And other mountain peaks.. Til they run out of them too..
      SpiderManAPV -
      Quote Originally Posted by NewD View Post
      Mavericks (horses) was the last of the "animals" (Mountain Lion, Lion, Snow Leopard, Leopard, Tiger, Panther, Jaguar, Puma, Cheetah (= cats).. Yosemite and El Capitan are the names of mountain peaks often the goal of great mountain climbers. You'll eventually see OSX "Everest".. And other mountain peaks.. Til they run out of them too..
      I thought it was big cats then landmarks in California?
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by SpiderManAPV View Post
      Yup, that's what they said when they announced Mavericks.
      mazzanic -
      thank you for that! learn something new everyday!
      NewD -
      Landmarks in CA?!?.. Hmm.. Ok.. Then I guess we won't see Everest any time soon. What the hell is "Mavericks" as a landmark? And why then did they choose two mountain peaks next? Leads you to believe they'd keep with the mountain peaks theme..
      SpiderManAPV -
      Landmarks in CA?!?.. Hmm.. Ok.. Then I guess we won't see Everest any time soon. What the hell is "Mavericks" as a landmark? And why then did they choose two mountain peaks next? Leads you to believe they'd keep with the mountain peaks theme..
      From the Wikipedia page
      Mavericks is a surfing location in Northern California about 2 miles (3.2 km) from shore outside Pillar Point Harbor, just north of the town of Half Moon Bay at the village of Princeton-by-the-Sea.
      Zokunei -
      Yosemite isn't a mountain. El Capitan is a mountain in Yosemite National Park.
      Simon -
      Quote Originally Posted by mazzanic View Post
      thank you for that! learn something new everyday!
      Unlearn it lol, he wasn't quite on the money. Posts after his should clear things up.
      NewD -
      Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
      Yosemite isn't a mountain. El Capitan is a mountain in Yosemite National Park.
      Well.. Yosemite "has" mountains..

But glad to be cleared up now.
      tnargus -
      Anyone else unable to check out the new Notes app for more than a few seconds, due to persistent crashes?

Like it so far, but it's definitely a beta. Window snapping is a little unintuitive, app crashes, and a couple of other things. The cursor enlargement feature is plain weird.

But hey, NEW BEACHBALL ICON.

EDIT: Disabling Notes in System Preferences > iCloud, then re-enabling seems to re-set the sync process. No crashes after that.
      krijonk -
      From the Wikipedia page
      Actually, even though "El CapitŠn" is one of the peaks in Yosemite national park, it is also a national state beach. See the Wikipedia article:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Capit%C3%A1n_State_Beach

So, now we have...

"Mavericks": a famous state beach in CA
      "Yosemite": a famous state park in CA
      "El CapitŠn": a famous state beach in CA

So, to everybody that is confused, all the new OSX names are famous CA State Parks & Beaches. I am just guessing, but I believe we will see names for future OS X versions like: "Trestles", "Point Reyes", "Joshua Tree", "Lassen", "Pinnacles", and maybe even "Death Valley", "King's ", "Sequoia", "Devil's Postpile", (and many more beautiful CA spots....Just some of the names like Devil's Postpile or Death Valley might not be best for marketing on an operating system)
      jsuddu0109 -
      Quote Originally Posted by krijonk View Post
      Actually, even though "El CapitŠn" is one of the peaks in Yosemite national park, it is also a national state beach. See the Wikipedia article:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_C...1n_State_Beach

So, now we have...

"Mavericks": a famous state beach in CA
      "Yosemite": a famous state park in CA
      "El CapitŠn": a famous state beach in CA

So, to everybody that is confused, all the new OSX names are famous CA State Parks & Beaches. I am just guessing, but I believe we will see names for future OS X versions like: "Trestles", "Point Reyes", "Joshua Tree", "Lassen", "Pinnacles", and maybe even "Death Valley", "King's ", "Sequoia", "Devil's Postpile", (and many more beautiful CA spots....Just some of the names like Devil's Postpile or Death Valley might not be best for marketing on an operating system)
      Yeah...OS X Devil's Postpile is never gonna happen. Lol. I could see OS X Sequoia, though.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook