• Teenager Shot to Death While Using 'Find My iPhone' to Track His Lost iPhone

It's not every day that you end up losing your iPhone, but when you do, you probably resort to using Apple's 'Find My iPhone' service to help you track it down to see if you had left it somewhere. It also includes various helpful tools for emitting sounds, adding a lost message to the Lock Screen, and erasing all content and settings remotely.

For one teenager that used the service to find his lost iPhone, the result didn't go down so well. 18-year-old Jeremy Cook from Brampton, Ontario, Canada was reportedly shot to death on Sunday by a group of men that had taken his lost iPhone after it had been discovered in the back of a taxi that Cook had left it in.

Cook attempted to confront the men that had his iPhone in their possession, but as noted by the report by CBC, the results were not successful and the trip ended in Cook's death. Police found his body behind a strip mall with multiple bullet wounds.

Local police are now looking for three suspects that are considered armed and dangerous. The men are between the ages of 18-21 and are still at large at this point in time.

It goes without saying that you should be careful when using Find My iPhone to locate your lost or stolen iPhone. Typically, when you suspect that your iPhone has been stolen, it is a good idea to call your local authorities and have them trace the iPhone rather than yourself.

Source: CBC
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Teenager Shot to Death While Using 'Find My iPhone' to Track His Lost iPhone started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 13 Comments
      EVO -
      insane!
      gldoorii -
      Cook attempted to confront the men that had his iPhone

...smh...
      Bo -
      Cook tried to retrieve his phone when the vehicle began to drive away, prompting him to climb and hold onto the driver's side door, according to London police. Shots were fired, and Cook died from multiple bullet wounds, officials said.

The car was found abandoned nearby, where it had hit a fence then a telephone pole, police said.
      Wow. Poor guy really wanted his iPhone back.
      bigbaba -
      It's a shame it went down like this but what did he think grabbing onto the car?
      bigboyz -
      Wow sometimes..when you lose something, its better to let it be lost. Material things can be replaced. The life of this young man cannot. Thoughts and prayers going to to his family and friends.
      Moncion78 -
      Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
      Wow sometimes..when you lose something, its better to let it be lost. Material things can be replaced. The life of this young man cannot. Thoughts and prayers going to to his family and friends.
      He would've had his phone and his life if he would've called the police to help him before he confronted the criminals
      rolandgabor -
      Killed a kid for a few hundred? What a crazy world
      psxcancer -
      They should have just given him the iPhone back, not like they'd be able to use it with it being locked to his Apple ID.
      SpiderManAPV -
      Quote Originally Posted by psxcancer View Post
      They should have just given him the iPhone back, not like they'd be able to use it with it being locked to his Apple ID.
      Youd be surprised how much locked phones still go for.
      docmagoo2 -
      There are some utter scumbags in this world. They make me ashamed to be human. Although this makes me think they're not human....

EDIT: I've found multiple phones in my time on this earth and I've ALWAYS handed them in. Makes me sad that this poor guy died as someone wouldn't do that
      hogcia -
      I went through this when someone stole my phone at work, I work at a college so there are hundreds of people. I located the phone using "find my iPhone" a few towns away. I then called the cops and waited by the house. They went in and retrieved my phone, I decided not to press any charges.

Always call the cops in a situation like this, once you locate your phone.
      rickybuckets -
      Yeah he should have called the cops but only if it was obvious it was them. That gps isnt even that accurate so he may have accused the wrong people.
      hogcia -
      Quote Originally Posted by rickybuckets View Post
      Yeah he should have called the cops but only if it was obvious it was them. That gps isnt even that accurate so he may have accused the wrong people.
      That is true. The first thing the cops asked me when they arrived was how sure was I that the phone was there.

I told them I was 90% sure since I use the feature all the time, I know more or less how accurate the location indicator can be.

They knocked on the door and a few minutes later came back with the phone. One cop was extremely interested in the feature and was asking me how to use it. Trust me, it works!
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook