• Taylor Swift Talks About Why She Holds Her 1989 Album From Apple Music Streaming Service

Taylor Swift, one of the most popular musical entertainers alive today, withheld her hit album 1989 from the new Apple Music streaming service that Apple announced at WWDC 2015, as noted in a report just a few days ago.

On Sunday, however, Swift has written an open letter to Apple on her Tumblr page that explains her reasoning and motive. Mostly, it has to do with the fact that during the three-month free trial, artists will not be paid for their work while users consume content free of charge while trying it out before deciding to pay a monthly fee for it.

Iím sure you are aware that Apple Music will be offering a free 3 month trial to anyone who signs up for the service. Iím not sure you know that Apple Music will not be paying writers, producers, or artists for those three months. I find it to be shocking, disappointing, and completely unlike this historically progressive and generous company.
    Moreover, Swift says that she's not doing it for her, but rather for the smaller music bands, companies, and such that can't afford to give their stuff away for three months uncompensated.

This is not about me. Thankfully I am on my fifth album and can support myself, my band, crew, and entire management team by playing live shows. This is about the new artist or band that has just released their first single and will not be paid for its success. This is about the young songwriter who just got his or her first cut and thought that the royalties from that would get them out of debt. This is about the producer who works tirelessly to innovate and create, just like the innovators and creators at Apple are pioneering in their fieldÖbut will not get paid for a quarter of a yearís worth of plays on his or her songs.
    Swift later appeals to Apple to re-think their decision not to compensate artists and their teams during the three-month free trial, comparing it to Apple customers who don't ask to get a free iPhone for three months to try before they buy. The full letter can be read at this link.

Apple Music will launch with iOS 8.4, which is expected to be available to the public some time later this month. It is built into the Music application on iOS devices and users can access unique features from Apple Music not limited to Music streaming, but also behind-the-scenes stuff.

Sources: Tumblr
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Taylor Swift Talks About Why She Holds Her 1989 From Apple Music Streaming Service started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 11 Comments
      turdsmoka -
      She is a spoiled rich kid. Always has been and always will be.
      DALFE5 -
      Quote Originally Posted by turdsmoka View Post
      And the last time you worked three months for free was when? How about if you come to work for me, on a commission basis, for three months without compensation. If I like what you do after that time I'll pay you from that point forward. You may have more money than Bill Gates but usually it is out of jealousy that comments like yours are made. I bet you'll take advantage of the free trial. You probably get you music/movies from torrent downloads anyway.
      ads1230 -
      Quote Originally Posted by DALFE5 View Post
      And the last time you worked three months for free was when? How about if you come to work for me, on a commission basis, for three months without compensation. If I like what you do after that time I'll pay you from that point forward. You may have more money than Bill Gates but usually it is out of jealousy that comments like yours are made. I bet you'll take advantage of the free trial. You probably get you music/movies from torrent downloads anyway.
      Remember, this is 3 months the artists would have never had anyway. From my point of view it makes perfect sense. Everyone is keen to sign up to a free service, but how many people will continue to listen for the whole 3 months. People are quick to sign up then drop. Only those who want to use the service properly will subscribe and therefore apple should, rightfully, only pay royalties to artists per paying customer.
      louietsang -
      maybe you are right... but when smaller names complains, no one listens... having a bigger voice will def help, even if just a little.
      sladyrko -
      Quote Originally Posted by ads1230 View Post
      Remember, this is 3 months the artists would have never had anyway. From my point of view it makes perfect sense. Everyone is keen to sign up to a free service, but how many people will continue to listen for the whole 3 months. People are quick to sign up then drop. Only those who want to use the service properly will subscribe and therefore apple should, rightfully, only pay royalties to artists per paying customer.
      You are very wrong my friend. If the artist release a song and it becomes HIT it will get the best traffic in first 2 or 3 months (till people get tired of it).. So the artist will get nothing from his first big song (and maybe last so popular). Just remember when Call me maybe came out of nowhere.. They are right, Apple is rich enough to compensate the free period. It would be better if they make it 1 month free and pay to artist from their own pocket. I was thinking the same at first about TS, that she is All about the money, but for new artist this is Big..
      holyshnikes -
      She has the right to do that. I think Apple should compensate some of the bill. If not all three months, maybe half as a compromise.
      dsg -
      she's the daughter of a Christmas tree farmer, so spoilt rich kid; really?
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Apple is responding to Taylor Swift by deciding to pay artists royalties for the three-month free trials that users sign up for:

Apple's Decision
      tridley68 -
      In my opinion her music sucks so this does not really matter to me since she is not going to make money off me anyway.
      louietsang -
      and see what a big voice can do... now the smaller names will get some compensation just like her...

Bad Blood Over: Taylor Swift (And Everyone Else) Will Get Royalties During Apple Music Trial: SFist
      CZroe -
      Like Taylor Swift, I also strongly prefer listening to full albums, but I do wonder why she uses that to refuse streaming services when she hasn't done the same to traditional radio. Does she really expect traditional radio stations to broadcast her full album every time one of her songs comes up in rotation?!
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook