• Tidal Takes Out CEO Before Apple Music Debut

On the heels of Apple's launch of its eagerly anticipated streaming music service, it's getting pretty obvious that competing services are growing a tad bit restless and anxious in the face of the looming new threat.

On Tuesday, Jay Z’s music-streaming company Tidal announced a shake-up of its own.

According to Bloomberg, acting Chief Executive Officer Peter Tonstad is out. This is the second CEO to part ways with the company in the last three months. All told, it's another indication that Tidal is trying to find its legs in a rapidly evolving industry.

“Current executives in New York and Oslo will continue to lead our rapidly developing innovation and content initiatives until our new CEO is in place,” the company announced this morning.

If you're not familiar, recording superstar Jay Z and a number of other prominent musicians acquired Tidal earlier this year as a means to give aspiring and established artists alike "more control over streaming."

So what's the next move for Tidal? Finding a consistent captain to steer the company as the competition heats up in the summer months ahead.

Source: Bloomberg
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Tidal Takes Out CEO Before Apple Music Debut started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 5 Comments
      SpiderManAPV -
      Honestly Tidal has looked really interesting to me, but I’ll probably see if I like Apple music first.
      csglinux -
      Quote Originally Posted by SpiderManAPV View Post
      Honestly Tidal has looked really interesting to me, but I’ll probably see if I like Apple music first.
      I'm a Tidal user, but I'm sure Apple music will be a threat. Tidal's selection isn't all that great, plus it's very, very difficult to tell the difference between 256 VBR AAC (Apple) and lossless (optional with Tidal).
      SpiderManAPV -
      Quote Originally Posted by csglinux View Post
      I'm a Tidal user, but I'm sure Apple music will be a threat. Tidal's selection isn't all that great, plus it's very, very difficult to tell the difference between 256 VBR AAC (Apple) and lossless (optional with Tidal).
      I think the biggest thing drawing me to Tidal right now is student pricing. Would you say the selection of lossless is small or the library overall?
      csglinux -
      Quote Originally Posted by SpiderManAPV View Post
      I think the biggest thing drawing me to Tidal right now is student pricing. Would you say the selection of lossless is small or the library overall?
      If it's available at all on Tidal, it's available lossless and lossy. The catalogue - as a whole - is missing some artists I like, but YMMV. Tidal currently has around 25 million tracks. Apple music is promising around 30 million. (I don't know if the entire iTunes music store will be available for streaming via Apple music.)
      fleurya -
      Tidal promises to give more money to bands, but are they giving at or near double Spotify since their service costs double??

In any case, it's a noble idea, but ultimately doesn't play out well. If I'm interested enough in a band that I want to throw more support in terms of cashtheir way, I would just do it by going out and actually buying their entrie albums and/or buy some of their merchandise. As for all the other bands, let their loyal fans help prop them up. If they don't have enough fans for that, then I guess they're not that great anyway.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook