• Saurik Updates Cydia Installer to Version 1.1.17 With iOS 8.3 Support

Yesterday, TaiG launched the first public jailbreak for iOS 8.1.3-8.3, although as a result of there being no warning, no one has been able to get essential jailbreak packages updated in time and so packages are lagging behind. Fortunately, one of the most important, Cydia Installer, has been updated on Wednesday to version 1.1.17 with official support for iOS 8.3.

Saurik noted on Twitter that the update fixes the "Cannot identify your device" error when using Cydia on iOS 8.3. Also noteworthy is that this is not an update for Cydia Substrate (commonly called Mobile Substrate); instead, this is just an update for Cydia itself. TaiG are the ones who need to patch their jailbreak for Mobile Substrate compatibility, which means they'll have to release an updated untether package in Cydia for those already jailbroken, as well as a new jailbreak tool for new jailbreakers with the patch integrated out of the box.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Cydia 1.1.17 fixes the &quot;cannot identify your device&quot; error on iOS 8.3. (No: this is not a Substrate update; TaiG says they are fixing that.)</p>&mdash; Jay Freeman (saurik) (@saurik) <a href="https://twitter.com/saurik/status/613769990760591360">June 24, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Installing the update is easy. When you resfresh your Cydia sources after opening Cydia, you'll find a new popup prompting you to install an essential upgrade. You should go through with the upgrade to get the latest version of Cydia installed on your jailbroken iOS 8.3 device for stability purposes.

The new Cydia update is available for all users whether you're running iOS 8.3 or not, but it's really only required for iOS 8.3 users.

If you need help jailbreaking your iOS 8.1.3-8.3 device, you can follow our guide at this link. It does require a Windows machine, as well as an outdated version of iTunes to work. It's also noteworthy that the jailbreak works best on 32-bit machines due to driver issues on 64-bit machines; some people report progress on 64-bit machines, while the majority don't.

Source: Saurik
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Saurik Updates Cydia Installer to Version 1.1.17 With iOS 8.3 Support started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 20 Comments
      novadam -
      I just haven't been able to get past 60. Any word from Tai G on ETA on new version?
      Sugarbear -
      Restore your device and leave iTunes open with Find My Device and your Passcode Off but leave Airplane Mode on. As soon as your device is restored jail break your device. That should do the trick
      KDawg295 -
      Let the madness begin!!
      bigboyz -
      TaiG is pretty quick with updates. I'm sure it will be updated by this weekend.
      Silverado1987 -
      I'm at the 20% with rebooting over and over than it'll say failed
      Sugarbear -
      Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
      I'm at the 20% with rebooting over and over than it'll say failed
      Follow my description and you should be fine. First begin by restoring your phone thru iTunes
      chevymusclecar -
      You try unlocking the phone/iPad after it reboots at the 20% mark? I did and it worked on my iPad.
      mazzanic -
      Jeebus people are impatient.. Umm 8.4 gets released in DAYS.. why would you update then jb.. meanwhile, in a week, there will be another NEW jb that doesn't have all these problems.. I guess they are using yall as test dummies to work the kinks out..
      bbrks -
      Are you sure about that .......
      Answer1o1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by mazzanic View Post
      Jeebus people are impatient.. Umm 8.4 gets released in DAYS.. why would you update then jb.. meanwhile, in a week, there will be another NEW jb that doesn't have all these problems.. I guess they are using yall as test dummies to work the kinks out..
      someones gotta be the guinea pig lol
      noop -
      Quote Originally Posted by mazzanic View Post
      8.4 will be out... do you know for sure that 8.4 can be jailbroken? I don't think anyone has confirmed that 8.4 can be jailbroken, that's why everyone is rushing to update and jailbreak their devices while they still can.
      MoonFighter -
      Quote Originally Posted by noop View Post
      8.4 will be out... do you know for sure that 8.4 can be jailbroken? I don't think anyone has confirmed that 8.4 can be jailbroken, that's why everyone is rushing to update and jailbreak their devices while they still can.
      Personally I'm risking it and waiting for them to get Mobile Substrate working and hopefully something working for x64 Windows.

I jumped on the iOS 8 jailbreak last time before there was an installer and while that was a good time I did have a quite a few issues so this go around I'm gonna be patient
      bobroy1 -
      Well all was good, till I installed Cydia installer update, Nothing else installed,
      All of a sudden Settings is crashing
      Bo -
      Quote Originally Posted by bobroy1 View Post
      Well all was good, till I installed Cydia installer update, Nothing else installed,
      Did you restore from a back up? If not, try doing a hard reboot and see if that helps.
      bobroy1 -
      It worked yesterday and all day today, then suddenly ..... Boom
      bobroy1 -
      Tried everything
      jawonder -
      Here's the fix for that :TaiG iOS 8.3 Jailbreak: Fix App Store Updates, Settings Crash Issue | Redmond Pie
      bobroy1 -
      Gonna try re installing and jailbreaking again
      bobroy1 -
      That worked, thanks
      bobroy1 -
      That worked, thanks
      So I re Paired the watch and everything is holding, for now thanks Jawander
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook