• The First Generation iPhone Turns 8 Years Old Today!

Today marks the 8th annual Birthday of the release of the original iPhone in 2007.

The original iPhone revolutionized the mobile phone industry. In its time, it was sleek, had the best touch screen, had the most advanced mobile operating system on a phone, and it changed the way we look at our mobile phones.

The iPhone has come a long way since the original iPhone. We are now almost to iOS 9, which has evolved so much since the original iPhone OS. We can have wallpapers on our iPhones now, we have front-facing cameras now, 4G LTE, Lightning connectors, 64-bit CPUs, 1GB of RAM, NFC technology, 5.5-inch displays, thinness, and so much more.

Watching the iPhone evolve year-after-year is an exciting experience. Although some iPhone launches are bigger than others, it's no doubt that Apple makes these mobile devices 'new and improved' in innovative ways each year. Just look at how far we've come in the sleek lines and engineering of the device's case, as well as the graphics and animations that have been carefully baked into the operating system:

You can watch Steve Jobs unveil the original iPhone in the video below:

Happy Birthday iPhone! And a shout out to those of you that still have one of these vintage relics!
    This article was originally published in forum thread: The First Generation iPhone Turns 8 Years Old Today! started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 34 Comments
      bigboyz -
      Ahh the Glory Days. Seems like yesterday. Funny how Steve never wanted to go bigger than the original iPhone. Now look! :]
      tridley68 -
      Loved that little phone it was awesome in it's time now I don' know how I could ever live without my 5.5 inch screen ahh the good old days.
      TDH Advocate -
      I really want one of these. I have for ages. I just can't manage to find one for cheap enough I can afford in a decent condition.
      dsg -
      loved jailbreaking it, mine got destroyed
      Silverado1987 -
      Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
      loved jailbreaking it, mine got destroyed
      I never got one. I ended up getting an 3G
      dsg -
      you missed the start, thats a shame
      Mr_X -
      been 8 years since people stopped making eye contact with others in public and only stare at there phones or pull them out when someone gets near them to avoid talking to them
      bigboyz -
      iOS 2.2.1 was one of the best IMO. I really miss that phone haha!
      Bo -
      Still have mine, charge it once in a while just to make sure it works. Still on 1.1.4. Reminds me of the days when jailbreaking was quite a deal, not a 1 click deal. The good old days.
      Was reading that they are Collectors items and that a new one sealed in Box sold for $1999.00.
      Did you know that the iPhone 2G is a collector's item?
      dsg -
      it's crazy how much people want
      EVO -
      I also missed the start.

I didn't get an iPhone until the 3Gs, but then the rest was history

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_X View Post
      been 8 years since people stopped making eye contact with others in public and only stare at there phones or pull them out when someone gets near them to avoid talking to them
      Haha nice! I concur!
      severe -
      Purchased this phone June 29, 2007, after standing in line for hours, which has become a ritual for many of us. Can't remember from which Apple Store now, but somewhere in So Cal. $599+ for the 8GB model, no subsidy. Yikes.
      CabooseLoL -
      I still have mine! Has a small (small small) dent in the top left corner but other than that, its in really good condition. I waited 13 and a half hours in line the day it launched! I'm keeping that thing forever!
      SpiderManAPV -
      Quote Originally Posted by severe View Post
      Purchased this phone June 29, 2007, after standing in line for hours, which has become a ritual for many of us. Can't remember from which Apple Store now, but somewhere in So Cal. $599+ for the 8GB model, no subsidy. Yikes.
      Iíll give you $20 for it!
      Bo -
      That Little 2G iPhone changed my life, made me a hard core Apple fan.
      pechon -
      I still have mine, i gave away the 3G, 4, 4S and 5, but the original one, never. I still have the box and the att chip that came with my phone, I live in Chile so the jailbreak and unlock was the only way that I could use it. Old times
      angerthosenear -
      I still have mine too! 8GB model. Still works great! Had a screen protector and case on it since the moment I got it, still in really nice shape.

I have whited00r OS on mine, can get a couple days of battery life out of it. I had to use it for a while when my 3GS died on me and until I got the 5S when that came out.

Nice to see how far they have come since then.
      NSXrebel -
      Incorrect. The iPhone was released today 8 years ago. It was UNVEILED on Jan 9 2007.
      severe -
      Quote Originally Posted by SpiderManAPV View Post
      Iíll give you $20 for it!
      I'll take it!
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Contract wasn't up until a year after. Got the 3G next year.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook