• Don't Get Charged Automatically After Free Trial of Apple Music

Apple Music was released in 100 countries today on iOS 8.4 and for those who didn’t already know, trial version for the music streaming service lasts 3-months. However, once the 90-day trial version ends, Apple will begin to charge either $9.99 a month or $14.99 a month on the associated credit card and Apple ID-depending on the plan you first selected. The $9.99 plan is for single users, meanwhile the $14.99 plan is for families up to six members.

Users who don’t plan on auto-renewing the subscription or pay for the subscription after the trial period is over, make sure to follow the steps below. The steps will also allow users to just manually activate to the service. Those who sign up today will experience the new streaming service through September 30th of this year.

1. First open the Apple Music app and click on the silhouette icon (your account) in the upper left side of the app.
    2. Then click ‘View Apple ID’
    3. Once in settings, find ‘Manage’ in the Subscriptions pane and you will see a list of subscription services.
    4. Click on Apple Music, locate automatic renewal and hit the toggle button to turn ‘off.’

Underneath automatic renewal, you will see the exact date your free trial will end. Have you tried out the new service yet? How do you like it? Share with us in the comments section below.

Source: Apple Music
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Don't Get Charged Automatically After Free Trial of Apple Music started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 14 Comments
      NSXrebel -
      I can already see lots of people complaining in 3 months that they are being charged renewal fees, well at least those that don't want to continue paying.
      Sniper488 -
      All of my album artwork changed.
      How do I get the music app to retain the album artwork I created???
      Sage I -
      I'm down to get charged automatically... Music is worth the money to me, and the seamless integration into the stock music app and OS is worth it to me too.... I was actually pleasantly surprised with the music app changes today, still a lil disappointed that EQ settings aren't available within the app after all these years though...
      Ambi_Valence -
      Quote Originally Posted by NSXrebel View Post
      I can already see lots of people complaining in 3 months that they are being charged renewal fees, well at least those that don't want to continue paying.
      It should default to NOT charging you. If there was a service that meant that Apple was charged automatically for a customers behaviour or lack of it, you can bet your life things would be different and they’d plaster you with adverts, links and tips about how to renew automatically.

This is bad, and money grabbing behaviour from Apple as usual.
      NSXrebel -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ambi_Valence View Post
      It should default to NOT charging you. If there was a service that meant that Apple was charged automatically for a customers behaviour or lack of it, you can bet your life things would be different and they’d plaster you with adverts, links and tips about how to renew automatically.

Oh, you think ONLY Apple does this??

SiriusXM is even worse, and there are tons of other services that do the same or worse.
      Wolftamer -

You must be new to everything subscription based that has existed since the first Columbia Music club.....
      vinaygoel2000 -
      To NSXRebel and Wolftamer: I know that every single company, whether it be Music or Cable TV or Books/Magazines or even Amazon Subscribe and Save work this way. But Apple always had this "Think Different" approach and campaign so we can only think that Apple will actually implement it's own campaign and actually think differently and tell people that hey this is turned off by default. If you like the subsciption it's as easy as clicking Yes to Auto-Renew and "boom" (as Steve Jobs used to say) you are done.
      Ambi_Valence -
      So what? Typical defensive response to justify actions is to talk about others doing it.
      vinaygoel2000 -
      So what? Typical defensive response to justify actions is to talk about others doing it.
      Exactly. Try telling a cop: Officer I was speeding because the guy in front of me was also speeding. Maybe the cop won't write you a citation. If others are doing it, doesn't make it right.
      turdsmoka -
      You are missing the point. By auto-renewing they are providing a convenience to the customer who does not need to take the time to renew it themselves. If a customer is interested in a service enough to subscribe it is assumed they do no want the hassle of having to buy it again every 30 days. Customer Service, baby.
      Ambi_Valence -
      Quote Originally Posted by turdsmoka View Post
      You are missing the point. By auto-renewing they are providing a convenience to the customer who does not need to take the time to renew it themselves. If a customer is interested in a service enough to subscribe it is assumed they do no want the hassle of having to buy it again every 30 days. Customer Service, baby.
      Fail.
      So, during the sign up process they could as a last step, pop up a button that says, “Do you want to auto renew after your 30 day trial?”. Almost like the last window that warns you of a restart after getting to the last stage before installing software, (this takes seconds to read and agree/disagree with). If it was really about customer service they could then at day 28, pop you another window which would say, “You have selected to auto renew at the end of your free trial, Would you like to change this?

That, would be customer service. Baby.
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by turdsmoka View Post
      You, sir, are missing the point.
      fleurya -
      Anyone else having problems with the music app?

I was streaming music and paused to do something. When I came back it wouldn’t play audio when I hit play. Then it said I needed to sign up for music even though I already had.

I couldn’t get any audio on my internal library either. I tried closing and opening the app again, and even restarting my phone, but nothing is working.

Maybe major bug #1 in the making?
      fleurya -
      No, you are still missing the point. Let’s start high level here.

The whole point of a free trial is for people to use the service and see if they like. If they decide at any point in time that they don’t like it, they take action to cancel it. This is logical because once they decide they don't like it they would natrually discontinue using the service, rather than continuing to just take advantage while the trial is on.

If a person signs up for the service and never takes action to cancel it once they decide they don’t like it, it is their fault they were too lazy to do something about it. Or, it is the people who are only taking advantage of the trial period for free music and never intend to renew, so naturally they forget to cancel and get hit with the charge.

Your argument is based on the notion that Apple should cater to the convenience of a) people who are only taking advantage and never intend to pay for the service, or b) people who are too lazy to cancel when they decide they don’t like it; all while putting the greater burden on the people who are interested in the service and willing to pay.

Do we see how that is just wrong?

If anything, Apple is being very generous here is letting people freeload on the service during the trial even after they indicate they don't want to renew! Personally I think if a person says they don't want it renewed during the trial Apple should just shut off the service to them immediately! Also, we all know Apple willrefund if people forget, so it's really a moot point.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook