• Saurik Releases Cydia 1.1.19, Which No Longer Runs As Root

Thursday night, Saurik released an update for the Cydia Installer application for jailbroken iOS devices to version 1.1.19.

This update is a pretty notable one. It is the first time that Cydia Installer doesn't run as root, and instead, runs entirely as mobile under Cydia Substrate, allowing Cydia Substrate tweaks to modify Cydia for the first time.

The updated Cydia Installer package is available under the Changes tab in the Cydia application on jailbroken devices, and is compatible with the latest TaiG jailbreak for iOS 8.1.3-8.4. All users are suggested to update to the latest Cydia version for security and stability.

With Cydia working under Cydia Substrate for the first time, this means that jailbreak tweaks and themes will now be able to modify Cydia's UI and functions.

The full change log via Cydia can be found below:

Changes in Cydia 1.1.19

Cydia Substrate Compatibility
    Cydia now runs as "mobile" instead of "root". This means that Cydia Substrate extensions (tweaks) can now modify Cydia, just like those tweaks modify other apps and iOS.

How this will affect you:
    After you install this upgrade, you may be surprised to see that your installed tweaks are modifying Cydia. For example, if you have a tweak installed that improves how the keyboard works in all apps, it will now improve keyboards in Cydia as well.

Tweaks may have problems:
    Some tweaks may have bugs in how they affect Cydia, such as applying an odd color to a piece of text, because their developers have not been able to test this before. Please be patient and give developers time to update their tweaks you can often follow them on Twitter for news and updates. You can temporarily uninstall a tweak if it is causing problems for you.

What if something goes wrong?
    If you install a tweak that causes Cydia to be unusable, you can fix it by booting your device with Cydia Substrate disabled (which also disables all tweaks). To do this: turn off your device, and turn it on while pressing the volume up button until it finishes booting. Then open Cydia, uninstall the buggy tweak, and reboot again to go back into normal mode.
    Source: Saurik
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Saurik Releases Cydia 1.1.19, Which No Longer Runs As Root started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 34 Comments
      Bryan Peterson -
      I wonder if there will be ever an option to SORT applications/tweaks in Cydia app. Sort based on ratings, popularity or at least by date created, instead of alphabetically!
      JoeStorm -
      I just want an AND option to the search.
      tombik -
      I see the tweaks always sorted by date.
      exNavy -
      I'd like the old categories back. I wish the Themes button sorted based on ios version too.
      Padgoi -
      Taig 2.3.0 has just been released.
      Nuff Said -
      Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Peterson View Post
      I wonder if there will be ever an option to SORT applications/tweaks in Cydia app. Sort based on ratings, popularity or at least by date created, instead of alphabetically!
      Can we get a ratings and comment feature first
      fluffybunnyabc -
      Problems with reactivating source sections app force closes and also when adding a new source sometimes
      StaceyMJ86 -
      Has anyone noticed any problems with their tweaks after updating?
      ArChAiC69 -
      Quote Originally Posted by StaceyMJ86 View Post
      Has anyone noticed any problems with their tweaks after updating?
      I haven't had any issues.
      iH85CH001 -
      Why would he do this? it seems very counterproductive to me...
      Zokunei -
      Quote Originally Posted by iH85CH001 View Post
      In what way?
      King_O_Hill -
      Yes, in what way is it counterproductive?

I'm dying to hear this.
      Knight Yoshi -
      Quote Originally Posted by iH85CH001 View Post
      It's not. When something runs as Root a normal user account cannot modify it, only Root. This allows say user installed keyboards from the App Store to modify it.
      nealh -
      Maybe this important for IOS9 prep? Apple is supposedly not allowing root access.
      King_O_Hill -
      Quote Originally Posted by nealh View Post
      Maybe this important for IOS9 prep? Apple is supposedly not allowing root access.
      If we can't get root access then we can't get a JailBreak. By definition, all a JB does is gain you root access.
      Jon G -
      Saurik stated in reddit yesterday that this has been in the works for quite awhile & isn't about iOS 9. Just coincidental that it sounds like something that could be related
      nealh -
      Oops. Showed my ignorance.
      King_O_Hill -
      Quote Originally Posted by nealh View Post
      Oops. Showed my ignorance.
      That's how we learn bro! Not ignorance, you just didn't know it yet.
      wamoinc -
      Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
      That's how we learn bro! Not ignorance, you just didn't know it yet.
      So do we need to re jailbreak if we had done so a day ago? Or do we just do the essential update that was prompted by Cydia? So all my sources are empty, do we have to readd sources once we do this update?
      King_O_Hill -
      Do the essential upgrade and yes, you need to add your sources again. I use Csources2 as it is easy to load and unload sources plus it will back ten up for you.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook