• What's Driving iOS 8.4 Adoption?

It you haven't yet heard, iOS 8.4 is seeing rapid adoption across the broad ecosystem of Apple device owners. One week removed from its arrival, iOS 8.4 is now running on over 40 percent of all iOS gadgets. That's according to new data from Mixpanel.

The report finds that iOS adoption hit 41.2 percent on July 8th and it continues to climb at an exponential rate. The reason? All eyes are looking in the direction of Apple Music.

According to Mixpanel researchers, the rate of adoption witnessed with iOS 8.4 suggests a powerful demand among Apple product owners to give the streaming music service a shot -- particularly during the free trial period that recently commenced.

"The stats don't necessarily mean that 40 percent of iOS users have signed up for Apple Music, but the numbers are at least promising," says Lance Whitney of CNET.

Sources: CNET, Mixpanel
    This article was originally published in forum thread: What's Driving iOS 8.4 Adoption? started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 11 Comments
      maboroshi -
      I upgraded to 8.4 because of Taig.
      evolution83 -
      Quote Originally Posted by maboroshi View Post
      I upgraded to 8.4 because of Taig.
      that's my only reason
      The Highlander -
      jailbreak.
      BenderRodriguez -
      "The reason? All eyes are looking in the direction of Apple Music."
      hahahahaha, its all because of the jailbreak, no one wants to pay 9.95 per month for music even if the first 3 months is free, I have over 10,000 songs and Pandora/Spotify I'm okay Apple, no thankyou

dumb statics
      RobLo76 -
      Jailbreak. I don't give a rats behind about Apple Music.
      therandy -
      Apple Music AND the Jailbreak!
      StaceyMJ86 -
      Jailbreak.
      birgeer -
      *cough* jailbreak *cough*
      Jon G -
      I may catch some flack for pointing this out but someone has to be "that guy." Isn't the total percentage of jailbroken iphones somewhere around 5-7%? Take away from that how many of those aren't iOS 8 compatible, then factor in a reasonable amount of jailbreakers who have 8.4 compatible devices but choose to stay on earlier firmwares. Again I'm sorry to rain in the parade but these stats are barely influenced by us at all. It's much more about Apple Music & Apple Watch sales I'm sure
      Silvio6 -
      The ONLY reason i upgraded is TAIG. Secondary is improved Wifi. Not interested in Apple Music.
      A reason driving these upgrades is probably the automatic download + popup request to upgrade.
      CZroe -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jon G View Post
      I may catch some flack for pointing this out but someone has to be "that guy." Isn't the total percentage of jailbroken iphones somewhere around 5-7%? Take away from that how many of those aren't iOS 8 compatible, then factor in a reasonable amount of jailbreakers who have 8.4 compatible devices but choose to stay on earlier firmwares. Again I'm sorry to rain in the parade but these stats are barely influenced by us at all. It's much more about Apple Music & Apple Watch sales I'm sure
      Apple never includes devices that don't support the upgrade in their stats, which is why their comparisons to Android adoption rates don't apply (many Android phones don't get updates).

Also, the effect is a lot closer than you think. You have to take the difference between how fast this was adopted and how fast prior versions were adopted and then jail breakers make a much higher percentage of that difference.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook