• Is Spotify Getting Nervous Over Apple Music's Early Success?

As MMi reported this afternoon, iOS 8.4 is seeing strong early adoption among Apple device owners -- a reality largely attributed to the early interest in Apple Music.

Although we don't yet have numbers with regard to how many iOS users have signed up for Apple Music, those figures could ultimately be staggering. In fact, early adoption is believed to be so high that competing streaming music services are stepping up their games to head-off Apple Music's early momentum.

Published reports Wednesday indicate that Spotify is taking a bold step to keep prospective subscribers looking in its direction.

"Spotify is trying to raise awareness around the fact that it's cheaper to subscribe on the web instead of through Apple's App Store," says today's report from The Verge. "The leading subscription music service plans to email iPhone customers the below note encouraging them, if they haven't already, to start paying at Spotify.com and save a few dollars."

According to the text from the email blast:

"In case you didnít know, the normal Premium price is only $9.99, but Apple charges 30 percent on all payments made through iTunes. You can get the exact same Spotify for only $9.99/month, and itís super simple."
    Clearly, Spotify isn't going to shy away from calling out Apple with direct mentions in its own marketing materials. Of course, whether or not that strategy works is another matter altogether. Soon enough, though, we'll see if and how Spotify's subscriber base is impacted by the debut of Apple Music.

Source: The Verge
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Is Spotify Getting Nervous Over Apple Music's Early Success? started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 10 Comments
      dsg -
      how's it a success, nobody has had to pay yet; we have yet to see how well it will do when people have to pay.

Im not saying it won't do well, before I get jumped on by the Apple muppets
      swifty7 -
      in the end it all depends on the sound quality and amount of available artists.
      holyshnikes -
      I was talking about this earlier. I think it does show that they are worried about Apple Music. They could have sent this email out years ago. They are just choosing now to offer this great deal to their valued customers? Hmm... Seems a bit too fishy for me.
      Answer1o1 -
      It's too early to tell, but they are definitely covering their rear ends for the future. As far as music goes with stations Apple Music doesn't really play what I want to hear. Beats 1 sounds really appealing on paper, but when you actually listen to it, it plays stuff I doubt 90% of the people subscribed are going listen to and enjoy. I've had it since the day it came out. With Spotify I feel I am more in control of what I want to hear. It plays more of the music I enjoy as well. So far I like Spotify more than Apple Music.
      therandy -
      I know I'm getting Apple Music for "free" now for three months. BUT, I will be keeping it on the family plan...because before Apple Music, I was paying 9.99 for my Spotify that everyone in my family used and they would ALWAYS kick me off...and 3.99 for Pandora, because I can't stand the commercials. So 14.99 to have the same benefits if not more, AND my family won't ever mess with my music again. ::NOBRAINER::

Also, on the sound quality comment...Beta 3 added a higher quality streaming option in settings, but I'm unsure as to the bitrate it is offered. I can never hear the difference anyway.
      NSXrebel -
      Quote Originally Posted by Answer1o1 View Post
      It's too early to tell, but they are definitely covering their rear ends for the future. As far as music goes with stations Apple Music doesn't really play what I want to hear. Beats 1 sounds really appealing on paper, but when you actually listen to it, it plays stuff I doubt 90% of the people subscribed are going listen to and enjoy. I've had it since the day it came out. With Spotify I feel I am more in control of what I want to hear. It plays more of the music I enjoy as well. So far I like Spotify more than Apple Music.
      How does Apple Music not play what you want to hear? Their music catalog is as big as, if not bigger than, what Spotify, Pandora, etc.. has. Maybe it hasn't learned your music preference. I don't know how the whole transferring of playlists works, so maybe you just need to build a new playlist and build it up.

As for me, Beats 1 does play some good music, better than I had expected. I don't like newer hip hop, so I don't care for that, but Apple Music has plenty of underground music for my tastes. Lots of Deep House, Tech House, Techno for me. I've never used Spotify, it was always Pandora and iTunes Radio for me before. I don't plan on getting the subscription to Apple Music, but I will use their free service. That plus the podcasts I get from iTunes is all the music I ever need.
      Answer1o1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by NSXrebel View Post
      How does Apple Music not play what you want to hear? Their music catalog is as big as, if not bigger than, what Spotify, Pandora, etc.. has. Maybe it hasn't learned your music preference. I don't know how the whole transferring of playlists works, so maybe you just need to build a new playlist and build it up.

As for me, Beats 1 does play some good music, better than I had expected. I don't like newer hip hop, so I don't care for that, but Apple Music has plenty of underground music for my tastes. Lots of Deep House, Tech House, Techno for me. I've never used Spotify, it was always Pandora and iTunes Radio for me before. I don't plan on getting the subscription to Apple Music, but I will use their free service. That plus the podcasts I get from iTunes is all the music I ever need.
      If you're going from Pandora to Apple Music then yes it'll be much better. Pandora is junk. But Spotify wins for me. Overall.
      bigscrb15 -
      I signed up for Apple Music the day it was launched. I also cancelled, after 2 years, my Spotify subscription. My main reasons are the music catalog size is the same or bigger than Spotify and most importantly it is truly integrated into my device. Now when I used accessories I have "music" available because it's in my "iPod" and not stuck inside Spotify.
      DirtyDan -
      Quote Originally Posted by bigscrb15 View Post
      I signed up for Apple Music the day it was launched. I also cancelled, after 2 years, my Spotify subscription. My main reasons are the music catalog size is the same or bigger than Spotify and most importantly it is truly integrated into my device. Now when I used accessories I have "music" available because it's in my "iPod" and not stuck inside Spotify.
      I did the same thing. Although I will say there was a small handful of songs that I had on Spotify that weren't available yet on Apple Music. I purchased them in iTunes and they went right into my music library seamlessly. I've been using Spotify for a few years as well and honestly it hasn't changed. It still has terrible algorithms for shuffle and discovery.

And in regards to the sound quality, I did everything on Spotify in 320kbps bitrate. Streaming, syncing, I always had the highest quality sound. That being said, Apple's AAC format at 256kbps (only option available) sounds significantly better than 320kbps ogg vorbis that Spotify uses.
      holyshnikes -
      Quote Originally Posted by Answer1o1 View Post
      It's all a matter of personal preference. Spotify was nice, but their mix selection was hit or miss for me. I'm finding I want to skip less songs and actually enjoy not caring about what song will play next on Apple Music. I just let it go and listen to each song.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook