• US Law Enforcement Officials Argue for Backdoors to Encryption in Front of Congress

FBI Director James Comey and Deputy Attorney General Sally Yates were set to argue in front of the Senate Judiciary Committee to argue in support of backdoors in various consumer encryption platforms. They both argued that there is no absolute right to privacy since it has to be weighed against public safety. This is all in regards to law enforcement officials claiming that increasingly difficult levels of encryption have made it difficult to monitor criminal and terrorist communications.

An excerpt from Yates’ remarks reads the following:

I believe that we have to protect the privacy of our citizens and the safety of the Internet. But those interests are not absolute. And they have to be balanced against the risks we face from creating warrant-proof zones of communication.
    Apple, along with several other tech companies, have contended that privacy is essential and that any legally-mandated backdoor could be exploited not only by the US government but by criminals and foreign governments as well. As a result, encryption has increasingly become a selling point, more so after information was revealed about the scope of surveillance programs that the National Surveillance Agency was discovered to be running.

Both Apple and Google have turned to full-disk encryptions on mobile devices, although latter’s progress has been slower. Apple has touted that iOS 8 as being so difficult to crack that even with a warrant, it would be unable to decrypt the data on an iPhone. Apple CEO, Tim Cook, recently delivered a speech at the Electronic Privacy Information Center’s Champions of Freedom event in June, taking a stance and stating that people have a ”fundamental right to privacy.” He went on to state that backdoors are fundamentally flawed as well. He had the following to say regarding the matter:

Criminals are using every technology tool at their disposal to hack into people's accounts. If they know there's a key hidden somewhere, they won't stop until they find it.
    We’ll have to wait and see what decision is reached regarding the ongoing matter.

Source: Associated Press via AppleInsider
    This article was originally published in forum thread: US Law Enforcement Officials Argue for Backdoors to Encryption in Front of Congress started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 7 Comments
      angel_92701 -
      Since when , the rely on cell call to solve a case.
      Eonhpi -
      the cops are using illegal devices The so-called Stingray devices can identify, track and intercept real-time data from a cellphone according to its unique identifier, or “international mobile subscriber identity.” google it they call it stingray Sacramento

I love apple keep my stuff private to stop the government invasion of privacy
      docmagoo2 -
      Does jailbreaking compromise the security of the idevice?
      dsg -
      they will be able to access the data from a suspect with a warrant. they just want to be able to spy on people
      StuG III -
      These are the same people that are scared of China stealing their information. I want to believe they are just stupid, but I think they have become obsessed with stopping the "bad" guys that they aren't aware of the full picture. That's even more dangerous than stupidity.
      WHUDS -
      Quote Originally Posted by docmagoo2 View Post
      really? Of course it does.
      NewD -
      Quote Originally Posted by docmagoo2 View Post
      Of course it does. You didn't think we could have all this fun risk free, did you?! I keep trying to educate people when they ask the dopey question "why can't Apple just leave our jailbreaks alone?" When they close the exploit holes in a jailbreak it's for the security of your phone and it's data. I've never understood why jailbreakers are clueless to that.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook