• Saurik's New 'Cydia Impactor' Tool Can Un-jailbreak Your Device Without Updating

Saurik has released a new tool on Saturday known as 'Cydia Impactor.' This new tool is allow users to un-jailbreak their devices without having to actually update their firmwares in iTunes. Instead, it will revert the device to a "restored" state directly on the device such that it will need to be set up as a new device again.

For example, if you are running a jailbreak on iOS 8.3 or iOS 8.4, either of which the tool currently requires, you can ultimately use this tool to put your device back to factory settings on your current firmware so that you can either re-jailbreak or sell the device in a jailbreakable condition.

The big key feature here is that no iTunes is involved. This means you don't need to update your firmware to get back to factory settings.

Currently, the tool is in its beta stages and only works on iOS 8.3 and iOS 8.4. Saurik recommends you back up your data before attempting to use the tool as a fail-safe in case anything awry happens, although since Saurik himself made it, we doubt you'll experience too much trouble as he's pretty good with releasing stable things.

The tool adds an application icon to your Home Screen called "Impactor" that you can launch to read all the information you need to know; a button is available in the application that you can tap on to use the tool.

A few additional warnings that Saurik notes are that the device needs an Internet connection, you shouldn't attempt this with low battery life, you should avoid using the device while Cydia Impactor runs, and you will need to re-activate the device with your Apple ID again after the tool is finished running.

If this is something you might be interested in, you will find it in Cydia right now.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Saurik's New 'Cydia Impactor' Tool Can Un-jailbreak Your Device Without Updating started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 66 Comments
      Jon G -
      When I first read the description for this (I was looking on cydiaupdates.com) I too quickly jumped right to the description & thought to myself "How the hell did this thing get approved by a repo?! They just let some guy put some dangerous destructive beta program up there? Didn't even finish reading it as it doesn't support my firmware & I was horrified of the damn thing & was running for my life.
      Fast forward an hour: I read it from the top, get to "Author" & BOY DID I FEEL STUPID! After reading the entire description (with a whole different mindset) & understanding what it does, what it's for, & who it's from, my new view on it became, "Wow this thing is absolutely genius! What an awesome tool to have access to!"
      That should teach me to read carefully, thoroughly, & with an open mind before forming any kind of opinion in anything! Ouch
      Sk37cH -
      Saurik's been actively working with users since its release to sort out issues. This is going to come in handy for a lot of people. Thank you.
      King_O_Hill -
      Saurik is really on fire lately! Nice work Jay!
      littlelisa63 -
      This is a good idea, especially if something goes wrong with your phone and you need to get it repaired like I did
      bbrks -
      If it turns out to be stable and reliable......this will be a brilliant jailbreak invention
      itouch24 -
      WoW so am I u understanding this right. This will restore your device to factory settings but keep your jailbreak? All tweaks and apps n data wiped out. This would be awesome!!!
      K_y_r_a -
      Even if saurik wouldn't put this Tweak for free the people including myself would pay alot for having the jailbreak if somethings goind wrong
      XweAponX -
      It's literally a "BETTER Better Semirestore".

"better" Semirestore also had the ability to run "Reset all contents and settings", but it would then re-inject the jailbreak before final rebooting.

This tool however, downloads elements from existing OTAs stored on the Apple servers, and uses those to repair any problems before finally running "Erase all contents".
      MoonFighter -
      Quote Originally Posted by itouch24 View Post
      WoW so am I u understanding this right. This will restore your device to factory settings but keep your jailbreak? All tweaks and apps n data wiped out. This would be awesome!!!
      Close but not quite. This will NOT keep your jailbreak. It will however keep the current version of iOS installed, meaning your phone will be in a state allowing it to be jailbroken again.

This is a great tool. It's awesome to know that even when current jailbreak is inevitably patched I won't be boned if I need to restore my device.
      csglinux -
      "Saurik recommends you back up your data before attempting to use the tool as a fail-safe in case anything awry happens..."

Or even in case it works!? ;-)
      sheltons.iphone -
      Quote Originally Posted by itouch24 View Post
      Only ilex rat will delete all the tweaks while keeping your jailbreak. This deletes everything and the phone will be like you just got it and in a fully stock firmware that will need to be jail broken again.
      Bo -
      Wow, this is awesome.
      StaceyMJ86 -
      I just tested it out and the process took about 10 minutes. It factory restored my 6+ back to 8.4 and my jailbreak was gone. I jailbroke again and restored my backup and everything is working good. I am in the process of downloading all my tweaks again, which I don't mind the process as I have a excel document with all my tweaks and settings saved. Within an hour I'll be back to where I was earlier this morning.
      MoonFighter -
      Quote Originally Posted by csglinux View Post
      "Saurik recommends you back up your data before attempting to use the tool as a fail-safe in case anything awry happens..."

Or even in case it works!? ;-)
      And yet you would be amazed (or maybe not) by the number of goofs who would use this tool and then flip the heck out because, oh noes, where did all my cat pictures go?! I didn't know it was going to delete everything! xD
      Carvensno -
      This will be a life saver when Apple launches 8.4.1 update which will likely patch the JB. Will able to restore and stay on 8.4 and not forced to update to latest firmware.
      holyshnikes -
      It will be even better if he makes it possible to upgrade to a newer version of iOS that can be jailbroken. Such as, when they stop signing for iOS 8.4 and someone is still jailbroken on iOS 8.3. They can update their phone to iOS 8.4 from a jailbroken phone on 8.3, to a unjailbroken 8.4, then they could jailbreak again. That'd be beastly.
      NewD -
      This tool will be amazing!! A real blow for Apple.. The last time we had this ability was RedSn0w's 5.1.1 restore tool.

Yay, Jay!
      Hashi -
      Question: Is this a "traditional" jailbreak 'app' in that you can install it without using it (until you click on the icon)? OR: Does it do what it says as you install it? I love the idea, but hate the idea that it might do it right now during install ;

Many thanks,
      nealh -
      I installed it but I have not used it. It does not install and automatically restore your phone. You need to open the app and use it.
      exNavy -
      Thanks Saurik!
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook