• Snapchat Apparently Not Taking Too Kindly to Jailbreakers Who Modify Their App

It would appear that Snapchat is yet another popular service to start combating the jailbreak community.

The service now appears to be locking users out of their accounts for using jailbreak tweaks and extensions that modify the Snapchat application's functionality for the user's own benefit. Those affected now get the error message shown above, which reads:

Oh no! Your account has been locked. Please uninstall any plugins you may have installed and visit https://www.snapchat.com/unlock
    A popular jailbreak tweak called Phantom by iOS developer CokePokes, is reportedly one of the affected tweaks that Snapchat appears to be cracking down on.

Fortunately, these users aren't locked out of their accounts forever. All Snapchat requests is that you remove the Snapchat-modifying extensions from your device, and you can follow on-screen instructions to unlock your account again after you've completed the uninstallation process for the Snapchat-modifying jailbreak tweaks.

Although it's unfortunate that they're locking out users with jailbreak tweaks installed on their devices, it is understandable why they're doing this. For starters, using these tweaks breaks the rules of the service, which typically only gives users a few seconds to look at something before it disappears for good. So in essence, these add-ons are giving one user an advantage over the other.

Have you been affected by any of your jailbreak tweaks?

Source: Snapchat via CokePokes
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Snapchat Apparently Not Taking Too Kindly to Jailbreakers Who Modify Their App started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 42 Comments
      oneduality -
      Yes uninstalling tweaks for snapchat, then re-activating your account works.. but it's important to note that Snapchat's official support twitter account posted that jailbroken devices would not be allowed to use snapchat in general .. while that doesn't seem to be true right now, that seems to be their goal .. they got a flood of hateful tweets so they deleted that posting..

They also seem to be deleting any tweets to them that contain "jailbreak" ..

It's their prerogative if they want to attack individual tweaks that alter their app's functionality but I take issue with the attack of jailbroken devices in general since there's nothing illegal here about jailbreaking your device.. I personally will not be removing my jailbreak just to use snapchat if it comes to that.. I'll just say goodbye to snapchat.
      oneduality -
      Also important to note.. those who've tried older versions of Snapchat with Phantom and other tweaks have found their accounts apparently permanently locked... so try it at your own risk.
      oneduality -
      it apparently locks you out once you've logged off.. and sometimes will randomly log you off.. so if you did downgrade it may be a temporary fix before you find yourself perma-banned
      NSXrebel -
      My friend texted me a while ago with saying he was locked out and showed me a screenshot. I'm like the IT/jailbreak guy for my friends. I had no idea about this. I'm still jailbroken with phantom, but my account is still working. We'll see if anything changes. btw, I haven't updated to the latest snapchat/phantom version.
      Silverado1987 -
      Was waiting for an article to show up about this. I'll just wait till there's a work around. I can't live without snapmoretext. I never had phantom though.
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Xcon doesn't help?
      jetsetjoey -
      Good riddance, Snapchat...
      csglinux -
      Ticketmaster also gives an annoying pop-up and blocks access to the app if you're jailbroken. ********. Sorry. Needed to vent there. BTW, Xcon doesn't help with Ticketmaster, but tsProtector 8 bypasses their detection.
      Nuff Said -
      What about flex tweaks?
      Answer1o1 -
      I tried blocking the jailbreak stuff on phantom but that didn't help. I think once your account has been flagged you're sort of screwed for now as far using phantom or anything alike
      Selfmadexpert -
      What about a solution so Snapchat won't know your jailbroken. Kind of like FakeTimeWarnerCable which stopped the time warmer app from detecting a Jailbreak?
      Answer1o1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Selfmadexpert View Post
      What about a solution so Snapchat won't know your jailbroken. Kind of like FakeTimeWarnerCable which stopped the time warmer app from detecting a Jailbreak?
      That's what I did. I blocked the jailbreak/cracked stuff on Flex then installed Phantom again. Got a temporary block.
      Sage I -
      It's a good thing I don't use snapchat or I'd be bummed about them hating on me being jailbroken...
      Eonhpi -
      they will only hurt them selfs
      docmagoo2 -
      Quote Originally Posted by jetsetjoey View Post
      Good riddance, Snapchat...
      I agree. It's a stupid app for stupid people to show their genitals to one another.
      Supa_xL -
      My question is why is this just now all of a sudden an issue? Been using phantom for over a year now with snapchat and now it's an issue. Don't see anything wrong with it. Just disable the tweak for now and see if maybe there will be a fix for it in the future
      IChi1d -
      People make this a issue. Stop using snapchat and they will bend over backwards. All social media outlets are nothing without the people feeding them there presence. Its the fame and the attention that have people giving these companies that makes them so powerful to have there way with them. I dont use snap chat or facebook could careless about what they want.
      Albut -
      Just boycott snapchat they'll soon come round.
      sladyrko -
      It's funny how people are complaining for doing something illegal/wrong.. Their goal is Privacy, so stfu. I am happy their doing this.
      Answer1o1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by sladyrko View Post
      It's funny how people are complaining for doing something illegal/wrong.. Their goal is Privacy, so stfu. I am happy their doing this.
      they're*

It's fine if they want to be more "secure", but banning iPhone's that don't have any extensions that modify Snapchat isn't cool. They want to ban anyone who has a jailbroken device. That's ridiculous.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook