• An Estimated 950M Android Devices Are Vulnerable to Huge 'Stagefright' Exploit

Although security researchers often find bugs in Apple's iOS mobile operating system, it's also worth noting that Google's Android operating system isn't without its faults either. A recent vulnerability that researchers are calling 'Stagefright' has made headlines and is pretty huge, affecting nearly 950 million handsets in the hands of consumers today.

Stagefright is a nasty vulnerability that gives anyone with your phone number a way to compromise your Android device, so long as it's running Android 2.2 Froyo or later. It also affects Android Lollipop 5.1.1.

With this vulnerability, someone with your phone number can send you a media file that exploits a process in the way the operating system reads and plays the media file. With that, they can run remote code, and they can do so again and again.

Attackers only need your mobile number, using which they can remotely execute code via a specially crafted media file delivered via MMS. A fully weaponized successful attack could even delete the message before you see it. You will only see the notification.

As AppleInsider reports, although Zimperium zLabs reported the issue to Google and Google implemented the necessary patches, many Android device users are unable to update to a later version of Android OS with the fix because restrictions implemented by manufacturers of the devices are hindering the ability to update the operating system with the latest patches.

In other words, it could be a really hard time for Google getting the proper fixes out to these Android OS users and the Android OS users are in a good deal of danger from the vulnerability until the fixes are available to them.

Source: AppleInsider
    This article was originally published in forum thread: An Estimated 950M Android Devices Are Vulnerable to Huge 'Stagefright' Exploit started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 8 Comments
      Silverado1987 -
      I'll let my android friends know. I did hear about this though.
      c0deName_ZERO -
      Goes back to the same issue we iOS users had with the txt loop shutting down the messages app
      luvmytj -
      Quote Originally Posted by c0deName_ZERO View Post
      Goes back to the same issue we iOS users had with the txt loop shutting down the messages app
      That was a simple fix and not that worrisome. This is a disaster for Androids on a global scale.
      hopethemodworx -
      Nothing is safe these days.
      Zokunei -
      90 days wouldn't be enough time to remain private about this even if Google released an update right away with all the hoops they have to go through to reach users.

Also an exploit like this was used in a Liam Neeson movie lol
      plcrules -
      Quote Originally Posted by c0deName_ZERO View Post
      id rather have an "oh no my messages app crashed" compared to "oh no all my personal information has been stolen and potentially have a bricked phone"
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
      I'll let my android friends know. I did hear about this though.
      Never heard android and friends in a same sentence before.
      Silverado1987 -
      Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
      Never heard android and friends in a same sentence before.
      I have a lot of android friends. They are like 30-40ish year olds. One of them works at a hospital and was given a choice between iPhone or galaxy and since he already has an htc he got the iPhone for work. He loves it. He doesn't care too much about the major differences but he can tell the difference in quality of service At his house and the overall user interface he likes. I'm slowly trying convert lol jk
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook