• Microsoft: Windows 10 Launch Sees More Than 14M Device Upgrades in First 24 Hours

Windows 10 was apparently a very successful launch for Microsoft. Availability of the operating system began on Thursday, July 29th, as a free upgrade for users with genuine copies of Windows 7 or later. Users were able to reserve their upgrade from the Windows icon in their task bar and would be able to upgrade as soon as a notification on their desktop told them their computer was ready.

The company is touting over 14 million downloads of the operating system in countries all around the world after just 24 hours of the operating system's availability, and that number is continuing to grow.

We’re humbled and grateful to see the response to Windows 10. We have seen unprecedented demand for Windows 10, with reviews and customer feedback overwhelmingly positive around the globe. We are doing everything we can to upgrade the world to Windows 10 as quickly as possible over the coming days and weeks ahead.

While we now have more than 14 million devices running Windows 10, we still have many more upgrades to go before we catch up to each of you that reserved your upgrade. Rest assured we are working 24×7 to continue the upgrade process and are prioritizing the quality of your upgrade experience over anything else.
    Windows 10 has received a lot of positive press and reviews from those downloading and installing the update. The 'skip-a-generation' philosophy behind Microsoft's work continues to stand true with Windows 10, as Windows 8 was under fire for being poorly-designed and difficult to navigate, while Windows 7 was applauded for being improved over Windows Vista, which was disliked by Windows XP users, and so on. Windows 10 brings the Start Menu back to the modernized operating system with a modern UI and feel.

Windows 10 also appears to offer great performance, as we reported while the operating system was still in its developer insider preview stages. One developer's blog post, which went viral, claimed that Windows 10 would out-perform OS X Yosemite on Apple's 12-inch MacBook, citing that the animations were much smoother and that Windows 10 could boot up faster.

I've already installed Windows 10 on my BootCamp partition, upgrading from Windows 8.1, and I like the experience so far. Have you upgraded?

Source: Microsoft
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Microsoft: Windows 10 Launch Sees More Than 14M Device Upgrades in First 24 Hours started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 7 Comments
      turdsmoka -
      I have it running on vm on my Mac. It's not too bad. And free.
      exNavy -
      Being running 10 for over a month now and it's so much better than 8.1 was.
      gldoorii -
      I upgraded both my laptop and desktop from 8.1 and have experienced major performance loss. The boot time is much longer, things are overall slower, windows take longer to open, the taskbar and start button seem to only work when they feel like it, Cortana causes Critical Errors and makes me sign out or restart, mail takes longer than just going to a web browser, and that's just a few of my main issues. I decided I wanted to go back to 8.1 thanks to the feature in Settings, but when I clicked on it I was told that Windows 10 deleted the necessary files during installation.. I then tried creating the clean install flash drive with the media creation tool from Microsoft and when attempting to use it I was told I needed my Windows 8 key, but it would not let me enter it. I figured I could just use the Reset PC option, which worked, but then upon booting up I was told Windows 10 is not activated and I needed to enter my Windows 8 key, so I did, with the key I purchased when I upgraded from Windows 7, and it told me my key was invalid and I needed to purchase a key from the Store... So, my key doesn't work, I'm stuck with a non-activated Windows 10, and I'm scared to do anything to my desktop to fix the issues because of what happened with the Key. This is easily the worst upgrade experience I've ever had.
      Albut -
      When you meant to get the notification, have reserved it but no notification yet
      crouching -
      I think you are an anomaly, as I have upgraded my whole office with no problems. You might want want to check into what hardware issues you have.

Quote Originally Posted by gldoorii View Post
      I upgraded both my laptop and desktop from 8.1 and have experienced major performance loss. The boot time is much longer, things are overall slower, windows take longer to open, the taskbar and start button seem to only work when they feel like it, Cortana causes Critical Errors and makes me sign out or restart, mail takes longer than just going to a web browser, and that's just a few of my main issues. I decided I wanted to go back to 8.1 thanks to the feature in Settings, but when I clicked on it I was told that Windows 10 deleted the necessary files during installation.. I then tried creating the clean install flash drive with the media creation tool from Microsoft and when attempting to use it I was told I needed my Windows 8 key, but it would not let me enter it. I figured I could just use the Reset PC option, which worked, but then upon booting up I was told Windows 10 is not activated and I needed to enter my Windows 8 key, so I did, with the key I purchased when I upgraded from Windows 7, and it told me my key was invalid and I needed to purchase a key from the Store... So, my key doesn't work, I'm stuck with a non-activated Windows 10, and I'm scared to do anything to my desktop to fix the issues because of what happened with the Key. This is easily the worst upgrade experience I've ever had.
      Ozdude -
      Quote Originally Posted by gldoorii View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by crouching View Post
      I think you are an anomaly, as I have upgraded my whole office with no problems. You might want want to check into what hardware issues you have.
      I totally agree with crouching. In the last 4 days I've upgraded 4 systems. A main PC of mine that I was always a hesitant to put Windows 8 on, A pretty high specced MSI laptop with 4K screen, a gigabyte brix i7 mini pc, and a i7 powered HTPC. All went unbelievably smooth and took little time at all. All had no hiccups at all with running very smoothly afterwards. Most impressive Windows OS update ever I'd say. Think they learned a few things from OSX. I've got another laptop and HTPC to do which I'll def do in next few days.
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by Albut View Post
      When you meant to get the notification, have reserved it but no notification yet
      Not everyone will get the notification on day one. Microsoft has said it will roll out everybody in days or weeks.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook