• Taylor Swift Didn't Expect Such Positive Response From Open Letter to Apple Music

Those who have been keeping up with Apple news should know that the reasoning behind Apple changing their minds about paying artists the first 3 months of Apple Music was pop artist Taylor Swift’s open letter to the company. The popular artist took to social media site Tumblr and wrote a very long note to Apple about how she and many other artists are disappointed in the company’s decision to not pay them during the free trial for customers.

Due to the open letter, Apple responded with a changed decision not long after. According to a recent interview Swift had with Vanity Fair, she was actually very surprised with how quickly Apple responded and the impact the letter had on the company in changing their decision completely.

Swift noted in the interview that she was afraid that people would view her as someone who only cared about royalty issues. Just last year, the pop artist took her music off of Spotify because she felt the company was not paying enough money to artists, and now the incident with Apple. During the interview she noted,

My fears were that I would be looked at as someone who just whines and rants about this thing that no one else is really ranting about.
    She also noted that Apple handled the situation in a much better way than Spotify did, even though Apple Music is new and Spotiy has been around for much longer.

And I found it really ironic that the multi-billion-dollar company reacted to criticism with humility, and the start-up with no cash flow reacted to criticism like a corporate machine.
    Source: Vanity Fair
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Taylor Swift Didn't Expect Such Positive Response From Open Letter to Apple Music started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 1 Comment
      NewD -
      Good for Taylor - fighting for the rights of song writers to get fairly paid. The potential blowback that I was most worried about in this whole thing is that people would view Taylor Swift, who is a singer/songwriter, like they were the big moneymaking ballplayers and sports stars; whining about more money when they already make millions and millions. It's really the songwriters themselves, most of us who are not artists in our own right, that get screwed by Spotify and Apple when they choose not to pay fair royalties. As "just songwriters" we don't play for packed arenas. We just write the songs for those artist that pack the arenas.

Again, Taylor writes her own songs. So in this issue people need to focus on that aspect of her job getting fairly compensated and not the fact that she's also an artist who gets a lot of money from her shows as well (millions). Because where this issue really is relevant is for those of us freelance songwriters that write for the big artists who aren't songwriters themselves. And there are many!
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook