• What Will Force Touch Do for Users of the Next Generation iPhone?

Following rumor after rumor suggesting that the next-generation iPhone 6s and/or iPhone 6s Plus will sport Force Touch technology in the handset's display, a feature that is currently only available in the latest MacBooks, MacBook Pros, and the Apple Watch, leaked photos and videos of the purported next-generation handset's display reveal minor differences in connectors and thickness suggesting the possibility of Force Touch, but still no solid evidence.

So of course, the big question remains: what exactly is Apple planning to have iPhone users do with a Force Touch gesture that would be beneficial to the user in ways that the current input technologies aren't already? After all, Force Touch was introduced on the Apple Watch because of the lack of display space, and this meant Apple needed to engineer a new way to input a gesture without hindering display real estate, but the feature is used on the MacBook and MacBook Pro mainly as shortcuts for specific features.

A recent report from 9to5Mac's Mark Gurman suggests that if Force Touch comes to the next-generation iPhone, it will likely behave similar to that of Force Touch on the MacBook and MacBook Pro, offering system-wide gestures to complete shortcuts. The report claims to have inside information from sources familiar with testing Force Touch on the iPhone.

Force Touch, which will reportedly be known as "Orb" on the iPhone, will allow for various different kinds of shortcuts, such as using Force Touch to immediately activate Turn-by-Turn navigation after looking up a location in the Maps application, quickly adding music to their music library in the Music application after listening to it on Apple Music, quickly accessing the user's voicemail by pressing hard on the Phone application icon, or even seeing previews of Web pages in Mobile Safari before ever opening the link.

Despite the information, which seems legit, we won't know for absolutely sure if these are Apple's plans for the future of the iPhone until Apple unveils the iPhone at its special event in September. Would you enjoy using Force Touch or "Orb" on your next-generation iPhone?

Source: 9to5Mac
    This article was originally published in forum thread: What Will Force Touch Do for Users of the Next Generation iPhone? started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 4 Comments
      Scotty Manley Silberhorn -
      Hopefully you'll be able to toggle them on and off. I feel like a on of accidents could happen with force touch on. Not too sure if it should be on the phones
      bigboyz -
      I don't really care for the force touch on the new MacBooks. It is very sensitive. I guess I could tweak it a bit. When I just want to click something..it does something else haha! Maybe I need to give it another shot..
      Rcworship -
      I briefly tried a new MacBook Pro and utterly hate force touch. But, this is first touch, and very briefly. Like any new technology, I may learn to love it after a short period to become acquainted with it...nevertheless, I see little or no use on the phone. As already mentioned, if it's always on, I can see great frustration coming!
      unison999 -
      I really hate the force touch on the Apple Watch, no sensory feedback at all and not accurate either because it often does not register.

Edit: I just had to log back in here and reiterate how I hate this force touch system on the Apple Watch. Because how bad it is and if it gets incorporated into future iPhone, this may be the reason that would push me over to Android system is how bad I dislike this thing.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook