• Rite Aid to Begin Accepting Apple Pay August 15th

U.S. pharmacy chain Rite Aid recently announced that their 4,600 stores will start to accept mobile payment systems Apple Pay, Google Wallet, and other tap-and-pay cards beginning August 15th (which is this weekend). This is definitely a surprise as they are a supporter of the Merchant Customer Exchange (MCX) consortium, which owns CurrentC and the pharmacy chain blocked Apple Pay last year deliberately. It was noted that MCX had a three-year contract with Rite Aid which ends this month.

Rite Aid and CVS supported Apple Pay when it was first released October of last year, but suddenly took away the access soon after. According to previous sources, MCX had exclusive agreements with all its vendors which is most likely why the two pharmacies stopped supporting Apple Pay. Rite Aid CEO Ken Martindale stated recently,

Increasingly, consumers are actively seeking out and incorporating mobile technology into many facets of their life, including their shopping and purchasing decisions. By accepting mobile payments, were able to offer Rite Aid customers an easy and convenient checkout process, which we know is important to them. Investing in mobile technologies is just one piece of Rite Aids evolving digital strategy and we will continue to explore, test and implement innovative technologies that will help us to better serve our valued customers.
    Best Buy, another partner of MCX noted that they would be offering the contactless mobile payment system by the end of this year. They already started supporting Apple Pay in their iOS app back in April. Be on the lookout as more and more retailers are beginning to incorporate Apple Pay and were sure there will be many more on the way.

Source: Rite Aid
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Rite Aid to Begin Accepting Apple Pay August 15th started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 1 Comment
      edwilk55 -
      Eff 'em. Lost my business over bad customer service and hours of operation. This was just icing on the cake. CVS lost me too and I have one 2 miles up the street. Wallgreens has my business now!
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook