• Tim Cook Takes a Personal Stake in a Water Conserving Shower Head Startup

Apple CEO, Tim Cook, recently took a personal stake in the makers of a new water conserving shower after trying the eco-friendly product. In addition to courting Cook as a potential investor, Nebiaís shower heads have also been installed at Appleís corporate campus in Cupertino, California.

For those of you who didnít know, Nebia is a six person company based out of San Francisco. The product is said to resemble the base of an iMac and its unique design reportedly cuts down water use by roughly 70%. To give you an idea of how much water is conserved, the average Nebia shower is said to use six gallons compared to a typical shower which consumes 20 gallons. The company accomplishes the conservation of water with specialized nozzles that turn water into tiny droplets. Doing so not only cuts down on water use but also increases the surface area of the spray tenfold.

Although the company has received funding from Tim Cook as well as Eric Schmidt from Alphabet (previously, Google), Nebia is still looking for additional funding through a new Kickstarter project. If you havenít guessed already, the Kickstarter project has ended up exceeding its $100,000 goal already.

The self-installable shower system features an adjustable bracket and a portable wand. With savings on water usage, Nebia claims its product pays for itself in less than two years. On its Kickstarter page, Nebia thanks Apple for allowing the company to test its product at its campus. The new shower head has also been tested at Google, Stanford University and several Equinox gyms.

The product is currently planned to retail for $399 when it hits the market but backers on Kickstarter can get in at a discounted price of $299. As of right now, Nebia is estimating that it will begin shipping by May 2016. Are any of you going to be helping fund the startup? Share your thoughts and comments below!

Source: Kickstarter via The New York Times
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Tim Cook Takes a Personal Stake in a Water Conserving Shower Head Startup started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 3 Comments
      Carvensno -
      I get that it can pay for itself over time. But people aren't going to cough up 400.00 a piece for this thing. Not with the way the economy still is.
      TechAlex -
      400 Dollars? now way! What the heck is inside ? a mac computer? These people are trying to become rich too quick!
      unison999 -
      Tim looks at this thing as something that help conserve water, helping environment, eco friendly.
      $400 to him is like us looking at less than a penny, who wouldn't want to buy this thing for a penny to help out our eco system? Me...
      It looks like it needs massive water pressure to sort of vaporize water and blow it onto you, so you feel the water pressure and think you are using more water than you actually are. But if you do not have that water pressure necessary for it to spray like the way it is, then you are out of luck this shower would then suck. Nothing worse than coming home hoping to take a nice shower to wash away the day then to have a weak water pressure shower.

BTW My guess is Tim would not have this water pressure problem in his mansion, they have water pumps in the house that circulates hot and cold water and maintain high water pressure throughout his home. This way he will get immediate hot water when he turns hot water on, as well as awesome water pressure in his shower/bath/jacuzzi/pool. Had a tenant who got divorced to rich husband and rent our $3500/mo home, calls me in middle of the night telling me there is no hot water in the house... Had to show her she need to let the water run for a few seconds before hot water reaches the faucet.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook