• Bend Test Video Shows How Well Purported Next-Gen iPhone Shell Fares Against 'Bendgate'

The iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus were under high amounts of scrutiny when they were first released due to weaknesses in the smartphone's frame near the volume and power buttons that could make it susceptible to bending under relatively small amounts of force, such as simply sitting on it while in your back pocket. Various sources found many different pressure results, so the numbers will vary depending on who you talk to.

As a result, Apple appears to making the jump from 6000 series aluminum to a much stronger 7000 series aluminum for the frame of the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus. A recent video from Unbox Therapy that shows the purported frame in a high definition video walk-through, shows that Apple is putting heavy reinforcement in the weak points where the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus frames were known to bend. That, coupled with the much harder aluminum alloy, should provide an adequate resistance to bending.

So that brings the question: How much stronger will Apple's 7000 series aluminum iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus frame offer?

Unbox Therapy has finally gotten around to posting the bend test video that he promised, and what has been discovered is that there are traces of zinc in the new alloy, which can be attributed to the higher strength in the new design. The bend testing puts one each of the current-generation iPhone frame, and the purported next-generation iPhone frame up against a precise testing machine and pressure gauges. You can watch it below:

What's interesting is that the current-generation iPhone frame buckles and bends under just 30 pounds of force, but the next-generation 7000 series aluminum iPhone frame appears to be able to withstand up to 80 pounds of force before it gives out. This means that Apple has achieved more than doubling the strength of the frame, and we should see a lot less (if any) cases of 'Bendgate' with the next-generation iPhone.

Are you satisfied with the results? Share in the comments!

Source: Unbox Therapy
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Bend Test Video Shows How Well Purported Next-Gen iPhone Shell Fares Against 'Bendgate' started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 18 Comments
      novadam -
      I still don't think the original shell was a problem. I have had my 6+ since it came out. I don't use a case of any kind and I carry it in my pocket. No bend whatsoever. Hype.
      tridley68 -
      If you put a phone in your back pocket and are that careless and sit down with it in your pocket you deserve what happens next it is not a design flaw
      Silverado1987 -
      It's good to have a strong phone but I always thought just don't bend your phone and for the people with skinny jeans and their back pocket when they sit down they wouldn't think that wasn't comfortable?
      mazzanic -
      *** This just in..... iPhone breaks if hit with sledgehammer!!! *** haha why is this still being talked about.. Let's waste energy on something else rather than if someone is careless with their phone???
      norulesjustgo -
      I had my iPhone 6 replaced TWICE for bending or coming out of shape. All from putting it in my front pocket no less. Never in my back pocket. I can't wait till the 6S (I'm getting the Plus this time). 7000 series aluminum is a great alloy and as we can see is way stronger.
      Oniszczak -
      Since the video clearly shows that Apple went to great lengths and expense to strengthen their new phone, commenters are experiencing discomfort with this evidence. This is called post-purchase rationalization or Buyer’s Stockholm Syndrome. Don't worry, it's normal. In a nutshell it means that people often think of themselves as smart and savvy consumers that would never buy an imperfect product - especially an expensive imperfect product. But then some dude with a beard proves them wrong - and so what's the response? It's never, "Oh, I'm dumb." or "Gosh, Apple slipped up this time, good thing they are putting so much engineering time and resources into making a better product next time." Even though there are countless reports of current gen iPhones bending with normal use i.e. in FRONT pockets, even though this video shows Apple is taking this seriously, people still need to feel that they made the perfect purchase and it's everyone else that is wrong - including Apple. Well, that's human psychology for you. Just try to think past your feelings for a minute and look at the reality - current iPhones are thinner than they have ever been and are made of the same material coke cans are made of - does it really surprise you that it might bend easily? Google videos of people trying to bend other current phones - notice that they are having a harder time with some than others? Well there you go, current iPhones are on the easily bendable part of the spectrum, and some other phones are not. The next iPhones are going to fix that. Simple as that. No need to blame skinny jeans and back pockets - that's not what people are complaining about.
      Ladunn -
      Poor old 6+ owners, the grass is always greener in the next iteration of iPhone.

Buyers remorse at its best!
      Silverado1987 -
      Quote Originally Posted by norulesjustgo View Post
      I had my iPhone 6 replaced TWICE for bending or coming out of shape. All from putting it in my front pocket no less. Never in my back pocket. I can't wait till the 6S (I'm getting the Plus this time). 7000 series aluminum is a great alloy and as we can see is way stronger.
      Can I ask politely...what the heck are you doing with your phones? No offense I'm not calling you a liar but I find twice putting your iPhone in your front pocket BS.
      novadam -
      Quote Originally Posted by Oniszczak View Post
      Since the video clearly shows that Apple went to great lengths and expense to strengthen their new phone, commenters are experiencing discomfort with this evidence. This is called post-purchase rationalization or Buyer’s Stockholm Syndrome. Don't worry, it's normal. In a nutshell it means that people often think of themselves as smart and savvy consumers that would never buy an imperfect product - especially an expensive imperfect product. But then some dude with a beard proves them wrong - and so what's the response? It's never, "Oh, I'm dumb." or "Gosh, Apple slipped up this time, good thing they are putting so much engineering time and resources into making a better product next time." Even though there are countless reports of current gen iPhones bending with normal use i.e. in FRONT pockets, even though this video shows Apple is taking this seriously, people still need to feel that they made the perfect purchase and it's everyone else that is wrong - including Apple. Well, that's human psychology for you. Just try to think past your feelings for a minute and look at the reality - current iPhones are thinner than they have ever been and are made of the same material coke cans are made of - does it really surprise you that it might bend easily? Google videos of people trying to bend other current phones - notice that they are having a harder time with some than others? Well there you go, current iPhones are on the easily bendable part of the spectrum, and some other phones are not. The next iPhones are going to fix that. Simple as that. No need to blame skinny jeans and back pockets - that's not what people are complaining about.
      uh no, it means exact what I said -- I've had my 6+ for almost a year, I've beat the piss out of it with no case -- including always carrying it in my front pocket -- and it's still flat as a pancake.

thanks for the dimestore psychology lesson though.
      novadam -
      I'll tell you what needs to be fixed on the 6+: it's slippery as hell without a case. that's the only problem I have with it. Oh wait, Freud says I'm not supposed to be saying anything's wrong with my purchase.
      Carvensno -
      Well I have had my 6 plus since release day last year. Carry it in my front left pocket most of the time. Walking, sitting, and usually daily activity. Even having it in my front pocket working on my buddies ranch. Lifting, bending over, squatting and etc... And my 6plus is still flat using a flexible case on it and screen protector also.

So these bending test and so called bend gate BS is exactly that, BS!!!! Here a news flash? Maybe Apple is using the 7000 series alloy for the new frame because they made that alloy for the apple watch sport, so why not use it for the new iPhone frames.

Why does there have to be specific reason why Apple does something, rather than a simple one. They have a new alloy they use on a new product, so why not use it on the new iPhone. SIMPLE!!!
      WHUDS -
      Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
      Well I have had my 6 plus since release day last year. Carry it in my front left pocket most of the time. Walking, sitting, and usually daily activity. Even having it in my front pocket working on my buddies ranch. Lifting, bending over, squatting and etc... And my 6plus is still flat using a flexible case on it and screen protector also.

So these bending test and so called bend gate BS is exactly that, BS!!!! Here a news flash? Maybe Apple is using the 7000 series alloy for the new frame because they made that alloy for the apple watch sport, so why not use it for the new iPhone frames.

Why does there have to be specific reason why Apple does something, rather than a simple one. They have a new alloy they use on a new product, so why not use it on the new iPhone. SIMPLE!!!
      Why do so many think Apple is perfect? The iPhone is and will be a work in progress. The iPhone 6 was a new design so expect problems here and there. IOS versions seem to have always been poorly beta tested or at least poorly followed up on bugs beta testers found. Apple needs to do a better job with testing before giving us an updated product, IOS and or Phone. We pay a hefty price for a premium product and sometimes we do not get what we pay for.
      novadam -
      Quote Originally Posted by WHUDS View Post
      Why do so many think Apple is perfect? The iPhone is and will be a work in progress. The iPhone 6 was a new design so expect problems here and there. IOS versions seem to have always been poorly beta tested or at least poorly followed up on bugs beta testers found. Apple needs to do a better job with testing before giving us an updated product, IOS and or Phone. We pay a hefty price for a premium product and sometimes we do not get what we pay for.
      How do you take from him saying "my phone isn't bent and I've had it in my pocket everyday" the following: "Apple is perfect!"

He is saying exactly what he said, just like I did. We both have put our phones on a daily basis through the exact stresses that supposedly cause bending and our phones aren't bent. That's it. Period.
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Those arguing that the 7000 series aluminum switch is merely because they want to bring the iPhone up to speed with the Apple Watch case are missing the very important detail that Apple has added reinforcements to the areas of the iPhone shell where it is known to bend (near the buttons). And as a result, the shell is now more than twice as strong.

It can't be a coincidence that they just happened to beef up the weak points in the case attributed to bending.

These changes are being made in an attempt to idiot-proof the iPhone 6s/6s Plus.
      Carvensno -
      Quote Originally Posted by WHUDS View Post
      I'm not saying Apple is perfect. I'm just stating my experience having my 6 Plus from day 1 release and putting through/using it in worse conditions as the original complaint to Apple was by the guy. But I do think this whole "bendgate" was BS and a cause of people's stupidity with their phones.

Quote Originally Posted by novadam View Post
      How do you take from him saying "my phone isn't bent and I've had it in my pocket everyday" the following: "Apple is perfect!"

He is saying exactly what he said, just like I did. We both have put our phones on a daily basis through the exact stresses that supposedly cause bending and our phones aren't bent. That's it. Period.
      Thank you!!!
      fleurya -
      Quote Originally Posted by Oniszczak View Post
      Since the video clearly shows that Apple went to great lengths and expense to strengthen their new phone, commenters are experiencing discomfort with this evidence...
      Not really. It only means that the world made a big deal out of something that really wasn’t a big deal. And since in the consumer world mass-perception, no matter how wrong, equals reality, Apple has no choice but to reinforce the phone even if nothing was objectively wrong with it.

This kind of thing happens all the time. Look at the whole “pink slime” issue people took with fast food chains using that in their burgers. People became outraged and restaurants changed their ingredients. Meanwhile those same outraged people are more than happy to go on eating similar processed meatstuffs like hot dogs and bologna!

Apple just has a big target on its back all the time and has to respond to mass-hysteria no matter how unfounded. Few people know that Samsung’s phones were put under similar lab-based strength tests to the iPhones and it was found Samsung’s phones were basically just as weak. But how many mainstream stories do you remember reading about that? Zero! And now what is Samsung doing to fix their supposedly weak, flawed design? Nothing!
      novadam -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ladunn View Post
      Poor old 6+ owners, the grass is always greener in the next iteration of iPhone.

Buyers remorse at its best!
      I have zero remorse about my 6+. Good theory though.
      qtazntpaboi -
      Ty
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook