• Apple Officially Stops Signing iOS 8.4

Saturday evening, Apple has officially stopped signing the iOS 8.4 firmware, which is the last jailbreakable firmware before Apple dropped the iOS 8.4.1 update that closes the TaiG jailbreak. This means that after updating to iOS 8.4.1, there is now no longer a way to downgrade back to iOS 8.4.

Although this could be bad news for some people, those on iOS 8.4 with a jailbreak can still take advantage of a new tool called Cydia Impactor that Saurik released recently to make it possible to restore back to a fresh installation of iOS 8.4, even if you're already jailbroken. The tool does this by resetting your device to factory iOS 8.4 settings and uninstalling the jailbreak so that you can start fresh again.

Cydia Impactor offers jailbreakers a way out, even with Apple no longer signing iOS 8.4, so that they don't have to upgrade to iOS 8.4.1 to have a clean firmware installation.

Despite this disappointing news, the Pangu jailbreak team has recently demonstrated that a jailbreak on iOS 8.4.1 is possible, so there is always a light at the end of the tunnel. The team will likely wait until iOS 9 to see if their vulnerabilities will work on the new firmware when it's released to the public this Fall, as the likelihood of the team releasing an iOS 8.4.1 jailbreak is slim to none at the point in time.

To check what firmwares are currently being signed, you can visit this Web site.

Source: ISPW.me
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Officially Stops Signing iOS 8.4 started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 8 Comments
      dsg -
      I've found with Cydia Impactor you can run out of storage space on the iDevice and if it does it fails. I overcame it by removing some of the tweaks I had installed and running it again, just a heads up for anyone that needs to use it

Edit: I was testing how good Cydia Impactor is. It's awesome and it's a necessity, especially now
      iBwizzle -
      F**k, i recently brought and iPad Air 2 with 8.4.1 from a friend. I didn't even think to downgrade to iOS 8.4.
      EVO -
      Apple is working a lot faster now to stop signing iOS's once a new one is available.
      caitsith2 -
      To an extent, they actually have been giving longer windows after a previous update snafu, to allow for making sure one can get back to the previous stable version, in the event of another update snafu. Seems like this window is at least one week long.
      chevymusclecar -
      Wow just restored about 3pm pst!
      Simon -
      One safety net gone.
      StaceyMJ86 -
      I have to make sure Cydia Impactor is installed on my other apple devices.
      Kupe -
      Thank you god that I'm still jailbroken on iOS 8.3. Do NOT want 8.4 ever!
      Ask the iTunes Guy: Coping with iTunes features that have disappeared | Macworld

Kupe
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook