• Swatch CEO Takes a Swipe at Apple Watch

Not everyone is a fan of Apple Watch, particularly the smartwatch's leading competitors.

This week, one such competitor took a not-so-subtle jab at Apple Watch, calling it that which Apple probably doesn't want associated with its product -- the thought of it being a "toy."

According to a report in the U.K. Guardian, the Swatch boss simply referred to the Apple Watch as an “interesting toy.”

Nick Hayek Jr said that later this year Swatch will sell smartwatches that last nine months per battery. The company launched its first smartwatch in 2003 in partnership with Microsoft, and have sold connected watches since 1996.
    The executive told Swiss newspaper Tages-Anzeiger that the Apple watch is an "interesting toy, but not a revolution... These devices, which all eat so much power that they last no longer than 24 hours without needing to be plugged in. In addition, the user immediately loses control of their data. I personally don’t want my blood pressure and blood sugar values stored in the cloud, or on servers in Silicon Valley.”

Source: Guardian
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Swatch CEO Takes a Swipe at Apple Watch started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 3 Comments
      luvmytj -
      This coming from a company who's comeback was largely known for gaudy plastic & rubber vibrantly colored watches that looked like, well, toys.
      unison999 -
      Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
      This coming from a company who's comeback was largely known for gaudy plastic & rubber vibrantly colored watches that looked like, well, toys.
      Which oddly enough is what Apple Watch looks like.
      Guess it takes one to know one, Swatch is a toy and so is Apple Watch...

Apple Watch is a toy, I have one it is as he says nothing revolutionary.
      Steal other people's health monitoring/sports band technology and put it inside a watch that last about 24 hours.
      When Apple introduce other new products before Apple Watch, there is always some sort of surprise within it. Apple Watch is exactly what I pictured it to be, nothing new nothing revolutionary and nothing special. It is as they say Before Tim Cook everything is awesome, after Tim Cook everything start to go down hill for Apple (at least innovation wise).
      Perlova -
      It's not a toy. The original iPhone was nothing special when it came out either. It was a phone with a music player. But it turned out to be a revolution. I don't expect that Apple will score a home run with each product they come out with, but at least they put a lot of thought into development.

The Apple Watch coupled with Apple Pay alone is worth the price of admission.

Swatch can come out with all of the smart watches it wants. It won't be backed by the software platform, infrastructure and third party developers that Apple has going for them.

As far as the battery life is concerned, it would be nice to have a longer time between charges. But my watch is not on my wrist when I sleep, so it's no big deal anyway. I need to charge my phone each night and the watch sits right beside it.

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
      Which oddly enough is what Apple Watch looks like.
      Guess it takes one to know one, Swatch is a toy and so is Apple Watch...

Apple Watch is a toy, I have one it is as he says nothing revolutionary.
      Steal other people's health monitoring/sports band technology and put it inside a watch that last about 24 hours.
      When Apple introduce other new products before Apple Watch, there is always some sort of surprise within it. Apple Watch is exactly what I pictured it to be, nothing new nothing revolutionary and nothing special. It is as they say Before Tim Cook everything is awesome, after Tim Cook everything start to go down hill for Apple (at least innovation wise).
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook