• Apple Aims to Change TV Forever with New Apple TV, App Store

Company CEO Tim Cook drew laughter from the audience this morning at Apple's media event when he said that Apple has been working for a long time on its new Apple TV.

He wasn't joking. Apple TV's hardware hasn't been refreshed since March 2012. But that all changed in dramatic fashion today.

"We need a new foundation for TV with a modern operating system with powerful dev tools and an App Store," Cook said, drawing applause.

From there, Eddy Cue was tasked with showing off the refreshed Apple TV and its powerful rechargeable 5-button remote (with glass touch surface and, yes, siri integration). The fast and fluid touch and voice search options make it easier than ever for viewers to find "exactly what they want to watch." Siri even takes instructions relating to everything from finding a particular episode of a series (or even just guest starring appearances for your favorite celebs) to viewing commands (like rewinding).

As before, all the apps, channels, bells and whistles are there (and more -- including Apple Music). There are even some snazzy new HD video screen savers. But what's new is tvOS, which allows developers to create apps, games, and more for Apple TV. The Apple TV app store looks, acts, and functions like the App Store experiences to which we've grown accustomed.

32GB ($149) and 64GB ($199) models of the new Apple TV will begin shipping in October and will be available in 100 countries by the end of this year.

Source: Apple
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Aims to Change TV Forever with New Apple TV, App Store started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 9 Comments
      fleurya -
      I like the new remote, but I don't think it'll keep me from reaching for my Logitech and not having to deal with 2 rmeotes.

The universal search is nice, but the problem I see there is depending on what service the selection is coming from you may or may not have to pay for it. And I doubt Siri will be made to recognize "search for ______ streaming free" or similar. Users will get excited to see a movie they want to watch, only to be disappointed to find out it's for rent via Apple rather than streaming via their HBO subscription.
      Hosko817 -
      No Thanks for that price tag.
      SpiderManAPV -
      Quote Originally Posted by Hosko817 View Post
      What was the price?
      therandy -
      LMAO - yeah that $150 price tag is such a deal breaker! come on man...give me a break!

you're either on here trolling, or your typing that reply on your $800+ iPhone/iPad or other apple device...lets get real.

$150 for a new Apple device is ALWAYS a steal!

I'm #stoked for the new AppleTV
      fleurya -
      Mayseem pricey, but the remote is what is adding cost. The updated ATV would be $99 if they separated out the remote and sold it for $50. But it's too integral to the device to sell it separately and people would have flipped out if Apple tried.

I think the device along with the remote that can do touch interface and voice commands is worth the price. Having said that, I don't know if I'll be upgrading myself. If I do it's only for hte voice search, which is a killer feature IMHO.
      Paddycakes -
      Anyone know if it will handle 4k or UHD content?
      StaceyMJ86 -
      I'm upgrading. I have the 1st generation so this is a huge upgrade for me. $150 is a good price for me. I'm opting for the $199 64gb price.
      Shadowmax -
      Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
      Mayseem pricey, but the remote is what is adding cost. The updated ATV would be $99 if they separated out the remote and sold it for $50. But it's too integral to the device to sell it separately and people would have flipped out if Apple tried.

I think the device along with the remote that can do touch interface and voice commands is worth the price. Having said that, I don't know if I'll be upgrading myself. If I do it's only for hte voice search, which is a killer feature IMHO.
      belive me, you will not use that feature most of the time. Voice search in a living room is not that good
      CZroe -
      Anyone notice that the optical output is gone? I actually need it for one of my DVI-only sets.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook