• Apple Packs the iPhone 6s With a Smaller Li-Ion Battery Than the iPhone 6

Here's a change in the new iPhone 6s that will have many of you scratching your heads and wondering why Apple just had to do it: a smaller battery. In Apple's promotional video from yesterday's Keynote at the special event, as pointed out first by iMore Apple revealed the internal components in the new iPhone 6s, such as the new Taptic engine, which provides improved short bursts of haptic feedback in certain scenarios.

One of the things that appear in the video would be the mAh rating of the new iPhone 6s battery, which is less than that of the previous-generation iPhone 6. The iPhone 6s mAh rating is set at 1715 mAh, while the previous-generation iPhone 6 battery is rated at 1810 mAh. Likewise, the iPhone 6s Plus comes with a smaller 2750 mAh battery, down from 2915 mAh.

There is no word on why Apple chose to go this route, but Apple still says you'll get the same battery life as your iPhone 6 while using the iPhone 6s. This is likely due to the fact that the new Apple system on a chip technology (A9) has drastically improved energy efficiency and the performance improvements in iOS 9 will pair nicely with it.

The smaller battery was likely introduced to be accommodating for the room necessary for the Haptic engine. As you can see from the image above, the Haptic engine is located just underneath the battery.

Although the same battery life is advertised, we would have preferred to see a bigger battery than a smaller one in this new generation iPhone.

Source: Apple via iMore
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Packs the iPhone 6s With a Smaller Li-Ion Battery Than the iPhone 6 started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 8 Comments
      rolandgabor -
      In general, batteries with larger mAh ratings will last longer than those with smaller ratings, assuming that the two are subjected to the same pattern of usage. Regardless of what Apple is saying, under normal daily usage the battery just won't last as long as the 6/6+. I'm charging the 6 at least twice a day with heavy business usage. Calls, emails and text only.
      MrDLewis321 -
      I was liking idea of i6s but after hearing battery now I'm now sure I have i6+ 128G. I text, email and call and play games and my iPhone 6+ comes off charge at 5am and I play games on my i6+ infinity blade 3 and by time I get home around 830pm from work I have between 40/30% battery left. Which means i6s will die be for I get home then. Apple may end up losing sales for this then as battery to me should of been battery. Great feed back and info
      cpho -
      Thanks for the info... This solidifies my decision to buy a regular (non-S) iPhone 6+ for the wife and skip the new S model until iPhone 7 is released next year.
      tridley68 -
      Things like this are why I stay away from all S models this way most of the bugs are worked out by the time the new design model comes out .
      Brandon.amos -
      Quote Originally Posted by tridley68 View Post
      Things like this are why I stay away from all S models this way most of the bugs are worked out by the time the new design model comes out .
      That doesn't really work out too well then. Every year they change and add things to the devices that are perfected by the next iteration. So they are always perfecting. The S model perfects upon the redesign, but adds features. Then the redesign perfects the S model features, and adds new features.
      oneduality -
      Quote Originally Posted by tridley68 View Post
      In the past the S models were just enhanced versions of the non S models .. I think this might be over-reaction in general.

From what it sounds, the 6s is alot more energy efficient, iOS9 is supposed to even give existing devices at least another hour of battery life. Couple that with th A9 which is supposed to be far more energy efficient itself and it means you'll probably see about the same battery performance.

I personally don't care because I always use a charging case on my iphone.. my 5S lasts from 6am till 11:30pm without ever being plugged in and I use it all day texting, playing turns on games with friends in between work tasks .. I watched the entire apple keynote on it and was still 100% by the time I got home.. When I say it lasts 6am to 11:30pm that's just because I got to bed at that time during the week, the phone is still at a good 80% at that time.. That's just when I plug it in and let the case/phone start charging.

With the right case you can still have a good looking phone with ton of battery life.. the case I use is a Lenmar case that has a 2300 mAh battery in it.. I let it charge the phone to 100% .. i turn it off .. let it get down to about 60% then charge it up again with the press of a button.
      edwilk55 -
      God forbid they make it a single mm thicker to accommodate.
      Brandon.amos -
      They are already pretty thin. I can't imagine they will get any complaints from consumers from it being ever so slightly thicker.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook