• So Much for "Rootless," iOS Hacker ih8sn0w Demonstrates Untethered Jailbreak on iOS 9

So much for what was supposed to be called "Rootless;" iOS 9 has been pwned.

iOS hacker ih8sn0w has shared a video on his YouTube channel Thursday morning showing what appears to be an untethered jailbreak on his iPhone 5 running iOS 9 Golden Master, which was released to developers for final testing stages just yesterday. The video demonstrates a reboot, opening Cydia, and confirms the device type and firmware version.

It's worth noting that ih8sn0w says iOS 9 was much like iOS 8 internally, but there's one major caveat. 64-bit devices have a KPP (Kernel Patch Protection) system, which would theoretically cause a kernel panic should the kernel on the device appear modified to the device in any way.

Poking into iOS 9 is fun. A little annoyed at some new things. But very surprised at how similar it is to iOS 8 internally.

Worth noting, iOS 9+ arm64 iDevices now enforce a checksum on __TEXT/DATA.const regions of the kernel through the use of TrustZone. Modifying said sections will cause the device to panic (either at kernel or EL3 will force a reboot if the kernel refused to gracefully panic). Essentially, it's KPP (Kernel Patch Protection). You can race it though if you want to play with things. Just be quick! ;P

Also, there should technically now be two additional partitions (baseband_data [s1s3] and logs [s1s4]) but didn't really bother with those as they weren't critical.
    At the very least, the video shows that there could be a light at the end of the tunnel for the future of jailbreaking. It'll just take a skilled hacker to get around the safeguards.

This jailbreak demonstration was for demonstration purposes only and likely will not see the public. It will most likely be the work of a hacking team like TaiG or Pangu to release an actual tool in the future for the public to use.

Source: YouTube via ih8sn0w
    This article was originally published in forum thread: So Much for "Rootless," iOS Hacker ih8sn0w Demonstrates Untethered Jailbreak on iOS 9 started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 15 Comments
      corona37fam -
      Take that apple!!!

Omg I can't wait till they all start working on the jailbreak.

iOS 9 is looking good though. iOS 7 was my favorite though.
      TDH Advocate -
      So as of right now his jailbreak would only work for any device running iOS 9 below the 5s?
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by TDH Advocate View Post
      So as of right now his jailbreak would only work for any device running iOS 9 below the 5s?
      That's what I'm getting from it. There would have to be some kind of workaround for 64-bit devices, which would require additional work and time.
      mazzanic -
      like i said about 3 days ago.. we all will have JB on ios 9 before the end of the year.. i mean sooner lol..
      Truckerbear -

Watch the video close or you may miss it!
      crslaeme -
      A Jailbreak is best for business for Apple don't think it will ever die
      Assassination -
      Jailbreaking will last FOREVER!!!! YEAHHHHHHH
      Eonhpi -
      Quote Originally Posted by corona37fam View Post
      Take that apple!!!

Omg I can't wait till they all start working on the jailbreak.

iOS 9 is looking good though. iOS 7 was my favorite though.
      yes ios 7 is my fav as well
      nealh -
      Was the iPhone 64 but? I can't recall, if not there still is a big hurdle.
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by nealh View Post
      Was the iPhone 64 but? I can't recall, if not there still is a big hurdle.
      All iPhones post iPhone 5 are 64-bit. The iPhone 5 demonstrated in the video is 32-bit.
      TDH Advocate -
      So it's only possible for anything below 5s to be jailbroken currently because the 64-bit kernel patch. Interesting. Since 9.1 is in beta, hopefully when Pangu finds the jailbreak they will save it for 9.1 to come out publicly.
      Julcello692 -
      So it's only possible for anything below 5s to be jailbroken currently because the 64-bit kernel patch. Interesting. Since 9.1 is in beta, hopefully when Pangu finds the jailbreak they will save it for 9.1 to come out publicly.
      I agree, that would be a smart move. Maybe Taig will be involved in finding a jailbreak for iOS 9 as well.
      TDH Advocate -
      Quote Originally Posted by Julcello692 View Post
      I agree, that would be a smart move. Maybe Taig will be involved in finding a jailbreak for iOS 9 as well.
      It would be really nice if they all just teamed up and worked together. That way we could find longer lasting exploits to save faster so the next jailbreak can possibly come out faster.
      rocky5 -
      I guess Apple really don't want, hackers finding out that there touted 6s features work on all other 64bit models.
      (3D touch would be the only one that wouldn't, if in fact it uses a pressure sensitive screen, as it could be done via software using the finger area as the enabler, ie, if you press down your finger will cover more screen area, would be inaccurate as hell most likely but it could work.)
      Julcello692 -
      It would be really nice if they all just teamed up and worked together. That way we could find longer lasting exploits to save faster so the next jailbreak can possibly come out faster.
      Yeah, true. But that hasn't happened in a while. Maybe it'll be different this time since it'll be harder to jailbreak iOS 9 for 64-bit devices.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook