• Wozniak Claims Steve Jobs Left Apple On His Own During John Sculley Era

According to Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak, the popular narrative that Steve Jobs was removed from Apple by board fiat after losing a war for control with the previous CEO, John Sculley, isn’t exactly accurate. Wozniak wrote the following regarding the matter on Facebook:

Steve Jobs wasn't pushed out of the company. He left. After the Macintosh failure it's fair to assume that Jobs left out of his feeling of greatness, and embarrassment about not having achieved it.
    The comments surfaced in the middle of a larger discussion that focused on the new movie about Jobs’ life that is set to his theatres next month. Wozniak praised the film as the best screen adaption of Jobs and Apple since the 1999’’s movie, Pirates of Silicon Valley. It should be noted that at this rate, the real story around Jobs’ first departure from Apple may never be clarified as several company insiders have given varying stories surrounding what happened over the years.

Back in 2005, Jobs himself offered a different point of view during a commencement address to students at Stanford, stating the following:

We had just released our finest creation — the Macintosh — a year earlier, and I had just turned 30. And then I got fired," Jobs said. "How can you get fired from a company you started? Well, as Apple grew we hired someone who I thought was very talented to run the company with me, and for the first year or so things went well. But then our visions of the future began to diverge and eventually we had a falling out. When we did, our Board of Directors sided with him. So at 30 I was out.
    Sculley disputed this version of events and offered his own take, one which aligns with Wozniak’s perspective as well. Sculley said the following in an interview earlier this year regarding the matter:

It was after making the pitches [regarding Macintosh Office] that the Apple board asked Steve to step down from the Macintosh division for being too disruptive in the organization.

Steve was never fired. He took a sabbatical and was still chairman of the board. He was down, no one pushed him, but he was off the Mac, which was his deal - he never forgave me for that.
    Wozniak mentioned that the latest attempt to chronicle Jobs’ life does well when it comes to handling the line between entertainment and accuracy. He had the following to say regarding the matter:

This movie does a good job with accuracy of issues even if all the scenes with myself or Andy Hertzfeld talking to Jobs never happened at all. The issues were real and did happen, even if at different points in time. [...] The acting is very good compared to other movies about Steve Jobs. The movie doesn't try to be another one of the story we all know. It tries to make you feel what it was like emotionally, as Jobs and those around him.
    Those of you interested in watching Steve Jobs, the movie, starring Michael Fassbender as Jobs, will be able to see the debut at the New York Film Festival on October 3 or in theaters as it is released on October 9th in North America. Will any of you be watching it?

Source: Facebook (Woz), Stanford (News), Silicon Republic
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Wozniak Claims Steve Jobs Left Apple On His Own During John Sculley Era started by Akshay Masand View original post
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook