• Samsung to Reportedly Follow Apple's Lead on Smartphone Leasing Options

According to high-ranking industry sources with knowledge of Samsung's plan, the South Korean firm is planning to emulate the smartphone leasing plan fashioned by Apple.

“It’s a no brainer why they wouldn’t do this,” one knowledgeable source was quoted today by Forbes.

We're told that the rumored program in question would allow for the leasing of Samsung Galaxy phones in the U.S., possibly before the end of this year and in time for the holiday shopping season.

Apple announced its leasing plan – called the iPhone Upgrade Program – at its September event... The upgrade program encourages consumers to buy iPhones directly from the Apple Store instead of going through the carriers.
    With more customers wanting to own devices off-contract and remain as independent as possible, leasing/financing options might soon become the new smartphone industry norm, rather than an occasionally deployed tactic and marketing ploy by the major hardware makers.

Samsung, we should note, hasn't formally commented on speculation regarding the aforementioned plans.

Source: Forbes
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Samsung to Follow Apple's Lead on Smartphone Leasing Options started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 30 Comments
      hogcia -
      Monkey see monkey do.
      vinaygoel2000 -
      I bet their name will be completely different. Maybe something like Samsung Upgrade Program.
      Ambi_Valence -
      Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
      Monkey see monkey do.
      Not at all. This is the way things are going with phones, it was only a matter of time.
      Perceptum -
      Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
      Monkey see monkey do.
      Are you talking about Samsung copying Apple or Apply copying every other company that leases their products?
      Oddlane -
      I'm not surprised, especially with apple taking this route. Only a couple months ago AT&T dropped its 2 year contract option, probably because it couldn't compete with Apple including AppleCare+
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Oddlane View Post
      I'm not surprised, especially with apple taking this route. Only a couple months ago AT&T dropped its 2 year contract option, probably because it couldn't compete with Apple including AppleCare+
      AT&T did not drop the 2 year contract option. Not sure who told you that.
      Oddlane -
      Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
      AT&T did not drop the 2 year contract option. Not sure who told you that.
      I stand corrected, maybe it was another carrier. That being said, they should
      budsalinger -
      Quote Originally Posted by Perceptum View Post
      Are you talking about Samsung copying Apple or Apply copying every other company that leases their products?

Apple is busy ripping off car dealers and credit card terminals. Samsung is busy ripping off Apple. Apple isn't innovating with the idea of the "lease". Apple is innovating by leasing a product which, to my knowledge, hasn't before been available for lease... a phone. That IS an interesting idea.

How do you like that in your cud? Chew it.
      Perceptum -
      Quote Originally Posted by budsalinger View Post
      Apple is busy ripping off car dealers and credit card terminals. Samsung is busy ripping off Apple. Apple isn't innovating with the idea of the "lease". Apple is innovating by leasing a product which, to my knowledge, hasn't before been available for lease... a phone. That IS an interesting idea.

How do you like that in your cud? Chew it.
      Cell phone leases have been around for decades.

What was that about cud?
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Cell phone leases have been around for decades.

What was that about cud?
      Which cell phone manufacturer has been doing leases for decades?
      Perceptum -
      Which cell phone manufacturer has been doing leases for decades?
      It was done via a third party leasing company.
      vinaygoel2000 -
      It was done via a third party leasing company.
      Please elaborate.
      Perceptum -
      Please elaborate.
      Have you ever leased business equipment? Its similar or the same as that.
      budsalinger -
      You're digging a little deep for something that should be obvious if arguable at all. There is truth to what you say, I'm sure, but Apple is innovating none the less.
      budsalinger -
      Oh, and the cud thing was because you were flapping your gums. Jabbering.
      vinaygoel2000 -
      You still haven't told me which cell phone manufacturer has been leasing for decades.
      Perceptum -
      You're digging a little deep for something that should be obvious if arguable at all. There is truth to what you say, I'm sure, but Apple is innovating none the less.
      Can you quote me saying Apple does not innovate?
      Perceptum -
      You still haven't told me which cell phone manufacturer has been leasing for decades.
      I never said anything about phone manufacturers, I said that you could lease a cell phone for decades.

Does it matter who you lease the product from? When I look into leasing, I concentrate on the product and the terms of the lease.

But, if you still bent on a manufacturer who leased, look into Motorola and them leasing there phones to corporations for use on the Iridium system back in the late eighties or early nineties.
      vinaygoel2000 -
      I never said anything about phone manufacturers, I said that you could lease a cell phone for decades.

Does it matter who you lease the product from? When I look into leasing, I concentrate on the product and the terms of the lease.

But, if you still bent on a manufacturer who leased, look into Motorola and them leasing there phones to corporations for use on the Iridium system back in the late eighties or early nineties.
      Come on man! That's not the same as Apple leasing individual phones to retail consumers.
      Perceptum -
      Oh, and the cud thing was because you were flapping your gums. Jabbering.
      You are the one chewing his own cud. I only asked who you were referring to when you made the monkey comment. A one word answer (Samsung or Apple) would have been sufficient.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook