• The List of Apps That Were Infected by the XcodeGhost Malware

For those of you who didnít know, the App Store recently suffered its worst security breach in its history over the weekend. It was discovered that hundreds of Chinese apps had a malicious program dubbed ďXcodeGhostĒ embedded in their software. The security lapse made its way into legitimate apps all because of Chinese developers who used a counterfeit version of Appleís Xcode software that was uploaded to the file sharing service named Baidu.

By using XcodeGhost to compile the apps, developers accidentally allowed the malicious code to be packaged in the apps that were then distributed through the App Store. Upon discovering the issue, Apple ended up pulling the infected apps off the store to help stop the spread but users are being encouraged to delete the XcodeGhosts apps off their devices manually. It should be noted that most of the apps that are infected are the ones used in China however there do appear to be some big name apps that should be pointed out such as WeChat and AngryBirds 2.

Please take a close look at the apps that were infected below and remove them from your iOS device to be on the safe side:

• Angry Birds 2
    • CamCard
    • CamScanner
    • Card Safe
    • China Unicom Mobile Office
    • CITIC Bank move card space
    • Didi Chuxing developed by Uberís biggest rival in China Didi Kuaidi
    • Eyes Wide
    • Flush
    • Freedom Battle
    • High German map
    • Himalayan
    • Hot stock market
    • I called MT
    • I called MT 2
    • IFlyTek input
    • Jane book
    • Lazy weekend
    • Lifesmart
    • Mara Mara
    • Marital bed
    • Medicine to force
    • Micro Channel
    • Microblogging camera
    • NetEase
    • OPlayer
    • Pocket billing
    • Poor tour
    • Quick asked the doctor
    • Railway 12306 the only official app used for buying train tickets in China
    • SegmentFault
    • Stocks open class
    • Telephone attribution assistant
    • The driver drops
    • The Kitchen
    • Three new board
    • Watercress reading
    • WeChat

We'd recommend deleting these apps and waiting for updated iterations from the App Store to replace your potentially infected copy.

Source: Palo Alto Networks
    This article was originally published in forum thread: The List of Apps That Were Infected by XcodeGhost Malware started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 18 Comments
      kickerman65 -
      Is deleting these apps enough?
      jw154j -
      People aren't getting the whole story here with this malware issue. See the response from Rovio regarding Angry Birds 2:
      "It has come to Rovio’s attention that many iOS apps on Chinese-language App Stores have been made vulnerable to a malware attack. The Chinese build of Angry Birds 2, which is available only on the App Store in Mainland China, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau, is one of the apps made vulnerable. All other builds of Angry Birds 2 available in other countries are completely safe and secure."
      Ambi_Valence -
      Quote Originally Posted by jw154j View Post
      People aren't getting the whole story here with this malware issue. See the response from Rovio regarding Angry Birds 2:
      "It has come to Rovioís attention that many iOS apps on Chinese-language App Stores have been made vulnerable to a malware attack. The Chinese build of Angry Birds 2, which is available only on the App Store in Mainland China, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau, is one of the apps made vulnerable. All other builds of Angry Birds 2 available in other countries are completely safe and secure."
      Yes but we should have a statement direct from Apple. The day we get a real virus we are going to be in serious trouble from unnecessary exposure as those blithering idiots will just keep quiet until itís too late as usual.
      This kind of behaviour is making me seriously question further Apple purchases.
      adsn76 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ambi_Valence View Post
      Yes but we should have a statement direct from Apple. The day we get a real virus we are going to be in serious trouble from unnecessary exposure as those blithering idiots will just keep quiet until itís too late as usual.
      How many companies ever come out at the beginning of a situation to admit there is any potential damage. Correct me if I'm wrong, but other phones use android and windows operating systems which are more vulnerable to hackers because they are open source.
      Ambi_Valence -
      Quote Originally Posted by adsn76 View Post
      How many companies ever come out at the beginning of a situation to admit there is any potential damage. Correct me if I'm wrong, but other phones use android and windows operating systems which are more vulnerable to hackers because they are open source.
      So what? Two wrongs don’t make a right. If everybody else hides it Apple should also?
      luvmytj -
      So what? Two wrongs donít make a right. If everybody else hides it Apple should also?
      There are many Android choices for you to buy. Enjoy.
      psxcancer -
      I'm guessing Apple will be implementing a checksum to look for the official version of their "Xcode" (I would hope at least" so this doesn't happen again. I can't say I'm surprised though, after all it is piracy number 1.
      psxcancer -
      I wonder does Apple charge for "Xcode"?

If not you have to wonder why they would use the "not official" version.
      King_O_Hill -
      No, Xcode is readily available.
      jw154j -
      Yes but we should have a statement direct from Apple. The day we get a real virus we are going to be in serious trouble from unnecessary exposure as those blithering idiots will just keep quiet until it’s too late as usual.
      You'll have to go to a flip phone then because Android doesn't verify the code embedded in the apps submitted to their store like Apple does. At any point you could download an app that you think is from the 'legit' developer but end up getting a key logger or malware. Just in the past few months they announced that they were going to start checking some apps that were submitted that didn't seem correct. in 2012 Fortune Magazine had an article reporting 97% of malware was on Android devices. By 2013, more than 42,000 apps in Google’s store contained spyware and information-stealing Trojan programs, PC World reported. Kaspersky stated that Apple Malware accounted for less than 0.03% with Android over 98% of mobile malware.

Attachment 713918
      (no response from Android after this claim by Tim Cook)
      Ambi_Valence -
      Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
      There are many Android choices for you to buy. Enjoy.
      That’s the other typical fanboy response.
      Thx for proving my point.
      Ambi_Valence -
      You'll have to go to a flip phone then because Android doesn't verify the code embedded in the apps submitted to their store like Apple does. At any point you could download an app that you think is from the 'legit' developer but end up getting a key logger or malware. Just in the past few months they announced that they were going to start checking some apps that were submitted that didn't seem correct. in 2012 Fortune Magazine had an article reporting 97% of malware was on Android devices. By 2013, more than 42,000 apps in Google’s store contained spyware and information-stealing Trojan programs, PC World reported. Kaspersky stated that Apple Malware accounted for less than 0.03% with Android over 98% of mobile malware.

Attachment 713918
      (no response from Android after this claim by Tim Cook)
      You know, I didn’t mention any of the other platforms in my response. I kept this striclty to the point. Why do people always have to bring Android in to justify the actions of Apple?
      jw154j -
      You know, I didn’t mention any of the other platforms in my response. I kept this striclty to the point. Why do people always have to bring Android in to justify the actions of Apple?
      Well there are only 2 other options.
      Microsoft is dropping employees from mobile development and may shut down their phone business per many sources. Verge reports

The state of Blackberry is still on life support.

And that concludes your options for mobile operating systems.
      Ambi_Valence -
      Well there are only 2 other options.
      Microsoft is dropping employees from mobile development and may shut down their phone business per many sources. Verge reports

The state of Blackberry is still on life support.

And that concludes your options for mobile operating systems.
      You’ve missed the point. I’m speaking about Apple exclusively. I could both praise and vilify them without mentioning their competitors.
      kickerman65 -
      I heard the list was a lot bigger than that. Other security researchers found over 300 apps.

The real question is, how will the average user know if they have any infected apps on their device? Some people install a ton of apps. I imagine it would be very difficult for them, even if they tried, to determine if they have a contaminated app.
      damien6 -
      Youíve missed the point. Iím speaking about Apple exclusively. I could both praise and vilify them without mentioning their competitors.
      man...now ur just arguing coz you want to keep your ego and point intact no matter what it takes. what everybody here is saying is that if you dont like apple and their policies - go buy another phone. its not about being fanboys or haters - its just that if you dont like a particular product - buy a different one or a competitors product.

secondly, no self respecting company discusses a problem without having closed all possible open ends regarding that problem. reason being - if they announce what the problem is and how they have solved it, the people writing malware and trojan code will know what apple is doing and how to work around it. usually tech companies think 5 - 6 steps ahead to keep hackers guessing. and it is well known, apple takes their privacy and the privacy of their customers EXTREMELY seriously.

so, theyre not gonna go public with the exact nature of the attack just because you have an unfounded fear that 'someday we will get a real virus'. and im actually more secured in their decision to do that.

so if you have a problem with apple and would want to 'seriously question apple purchases' in the future, please help yourself to another phone.

kapiche?
      sheltons.iphone -
      Quote Originally Posted by kickerman65 View Post
      I heard the list was a lot bigger than that. Other security researchers found over 300 apps.

The real question is, how will the average user know if they have any infected apps on their device? Some people install a ton of apps. I imagine it would be very difficult for them, even if they tried, to determine if they have a contaminated app.
      I would guess apple would have to come out with a list AND pull the apps from the store and tell the developer to redo the app with an official Xcode.
      Ambi_Valence -
      Quote Originally Posted by damien6 View Post
      man...now ur just arguing coz you want to keep your ego and point intact no matter what it takes. what everybody here is saying is that if you dont like apple and their policies - go buy another phone. its not about being fanboys or haters - its just that if you dont like a particular product - buy a different one or a competitors product.

secondly, no self respecting company discusses a problem without having closed all possible open ends regarding that problem. reason being - if they announce what the problem is and how they have solved it, the people writing malware and trojan code will know what apple is doing and how to work around it. usually tech companies think 5 - 6 steps ahead to keep hackers guessing. and it is well known, apple takes their privacy and the privacy of their customers EXTREMELY seriously.

so, theyre not gonna go public with the exact nature of the attack just because you have an unfounded fear that 'someday we will get a real virus'. and im actually more secured in their decision to do that.

so if you have a problem with apple and would want to 'seriously question apple purchases' in the future, please help yourself to another phone.

kapiche?
      You obviously have nothing better to do than talk tripe. I’m saying thety could do better, should have done better and now have done better, (Apple Lists Top 25 Apps Compromised by XcodeGhost Malware - Mac Rumors).
      Defend them all you want.

If I see a competitor product I am invested in behave just as badly I’ll call them out too. I have invested MY money into their product, I expect a certain level of accountability. If they want to refund me, I’ll shut my gob and go elsewhere.
      You people will defend them with more vigour than you would your own life - it’s incredible.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook