• Rumor Claims Apple's Next-Gen A10 CPU Could Potentially Jump to Six-Cores

According to a rumor from the Chinese microblogging site, Weibo, Apple’s next-gen mobile processor may be called the A10 and may be moving towards a six-core architecture. The chip could potentially be manufactured using either a 10- or 14-nanometer process with both Samsung and TSMC competing for the orders. If Apple decides to go the 14-nanometer route, Intel may also compete to be one of the suppliers.

The source previously made accurate predictions about the A9 processor that was used in Apple devices launching this fall. That being said, a switch to six cores may be unlikely for several reasons. The A9 is a dual-core chip that makes use of proprietary, 64-bit technology to match or surpass third-party options like Qualcomm’s Snapdragon series. Generally speaking, Apple tends to stick to a dual-core design despite other processors upgrading to quad-, hexa-, or even octocore layouts. If Apple does lean towards adding more cores to its CPU, jumping from two to four would be the most logical step for the company to take.

If Apple did decide to go that route, it would probably come at the expense of battery life which is something that Apple has been struggling with for years. The company even went as far as waiting until the iPad Air 2 to begin upgrading mobile devices to 2 GB of RAM for similar reasons. The source suggested that Apple may be interested in looking into multithreading, which could help improve efficiency when handling several tasks at once.

We’ll have to see if this does turn out to be true by waiting patiently.

Source: Weibo
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Rumor Claims Apple's Next-Gen A10 CPU Could Potentially Jump to Six-Cores started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 10 Comments
      sobeniceguy2 -
      Great article thanks for sharing!
      ellersbee -
      I'm waiting for you iPhone 7 😀
      Ambi_Valence -
      Quote Originally Posted by ellersbee View Post
      I'm waiting for you iPhone 7 😀
      I’m waiting for you 2017 MacBook Pro. TC did say they were desktop class after all?
      politicalslug -
      My iPad Air 2 has three cores, and it kicks the crap out of my 6 Plus. If anything, I can see Apple upgrading to a triple core A10 for the iPhone 7, but keeping six cores busy on a mobile device won't do anything positive for battery life. This rumor makes no sense at all.
      Nuff Said -
      Man Apple could make the perfect product if they wanted to but they choose not to. I can understand it as it brings in more revenue for them but it's frustrating for the consumer.
      ThuD Muffin -
      All these really powerful new chips make me think apple is looking to drop Intel for their lower tier Macs.
      Silverado1987 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Nuff Said View Post
      Man Apple could make the perfect product if they wanted to but they choose not to. I can understand it as it brings in more revenue for them but it's frustrating for the consumer.
      The regular 70% of the consumers that don't know and don't care. We get frustrated. But I know what you mean
      Colby21 -
      Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
      My iPad Air 2 has three cores, and it kicks the crap out of my 6 Plus. If anything, I can see Apple upgrading to a triple core A10 for the iPhone 7, but keeping six cores busy on a mobile device won't do anything positive for battery life. This rumor makes no sense at all.
      Having more cores allows you to run them in tandem, essentially reducing heat, which reduces power needed to cool that heat. That is why the more cores these phones are getting, the better battery life we are getting as well. You don't automatically get all 4 cores running at once. Usually one will run, then perhaps 2 for power demand tasks. Rarely if ever do all cores run. It's the reason our brains only function at 10% inefficiency. If we maxed out our brain function at a single moment in time, we would burn up all fat storage, overheat, and probably have encephalopathy.

source: I work for Qualcomm in SD.
      glacius7 -
      same here i'm wait iPhone 7
      politicalslug -
      Quote Originally Posted by Colby21 View Post
      Having more cores allows you to run them in tandem, essentially reducing heat, which reduces power needed to cool that heat. That is why the more cores these phones are getting, the better battery life we are getting as well. You don't automatically get all 4 cores running at once. Usually one will run, then perhaps 2 for power demand tasks. Rarely if ever do all cores run. It's the reason our brains only function at 10% inefficiency. If we maxed out our brain function at a single moment in time, we would burn up all fat storage, overheat, and probably have encephalopathy.

source: I work for Qualcomm in SD.
      I'm not really sure where to start. There are numerous methods to manage power in a multi-core processor, but Qualcomm and Samsung have chose to implement a BIG.little approach where there are actually two quad core CPUs running either separately or in tandom. My understanding is that all cores of a given CPU will run simultaneously, with speed and voltage the only means of modifying the power requirement. As such there is no way with that hardware to shut down an individual core, as you claim. It's that very reason why they chose to go the BIG.little route, since the faster CPU is too power hungry. Apple could potentially design the A10 to allow a core to completely disable itself when needed, but that isn't implemented in any mobile hardware (except Intel's ATOM, I presume) at this time. Finally, that idea about only 10% of our brain running at once doesn't mean anything. Its an urban myth perpetuated by science fiction. And you won't give yourself encephalopathy by thinking too hard, or whatever you were saying. That's just nonsense. So, what exactly do you do in your capacity as a Qualcomm employee? Just curious.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook