• Will the Next-Generation iPhone Get a Non-Metallic Housing Material?

Current iPhones use a housing material made out of 6000 or 7000 series aluminum (depending on whether it's a 2014 or 2015 model), and a seamless glass display. The look and feel of this combination of material is great, which is why Apple has repeatedly used them since the iPhone 5, and also adds a high level of recyclability to them, which Apple proudly announces each and every year.

A new report however suggests that Apple may be thinking about making the move to a new housing material for the 2016 iPhone, which is expected to be called the iPhone 7. The report doesn't make any specific suggestions as to what kind of material would be used, apart from saying that it will be "non-metallic," and also suggests that Apple already has prototypes of the handset with the new material in testing.

The new material is even reported to increase the device's resistance to water and dust, which is a huge problem with iPhones in general. The changes internally, as well as externally, may make the iPhone just as resistant to water and dust as the Apple Watch, which has proven that it can take quite a beating. This would obviously have something to do with internal o-rings as well as the casing material, but it's worth noting that the current iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus have a pretty good resistance to water (or at least better than the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus did).

The report also suggests a "flat" glass display, which may mean Apple is planning to ditch the curves in the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus' display for a more iPhone 5s-like display.

We are still almost a year away from the new iPhone, so these rumors are just rumors at best; there has been no photographic evidence to back up the theories. Nonetheless, it will be interesting to see what happens next year when Apple launches a redesigned iPhone.

Source: Macotakara via MacRumors
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Will the Next-Generation iPhone Get a Non-Metallic Housing Material? started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 16 Comments
      novadam -
      hope it's cool, because that's when I'll be refreshing my 6+.
      hogcia -
      Hope they don't start using cheap plastic like android.
      echoes49 -
      Quote Originally Posted by novadam View Post
      hope it's cool, because that's when I'll be refreshing my 6+.
      Me too!
      fredHD -
      Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
      This is Apple they know better
      Carvensno -
      Of course Apple has prototypes lol they're always working 2-3 generation iPhones from the current one.
      bigboyz -
      Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
      IMO, that is why the iPhone 5C was not so stellar. I don't think Apple is into making the same mistakes twice :]
      crslaeme -
      So will it be released on March/April
      StaceyMJ86 -
      My 6s+ is everything that I wanted and some more. I think I will skip upgrading next year and wait for the 7s.
      novadam -
      Quote Originally Posted by StaceyMJ86 View Post
      My 6s+ is everything that I wanted and some more. I think I will skip upgrading next year and wait for the 7s.
      hahaha you sound like me. "This is thing is great! I won't need to get the next one."

***next one comes out***

"I'm getting it!!!"
      Grumpieguy -
      Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
      IMO, that is why the iPhone 5C was not so stellar. I don't think Apple is into making the same mistakes twice :]
      The 5C wasn't a flagship device for Apple. Iff Apple came out with the colors only on their 7 or 7 plus models without a C variant then watch how quickly Apple would be willing to make those "mistakes". Apple could come out with something made with a cardboard case and tell everyone it's the next big thing. Sales will top last years models as they do almost every year anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      StaceyMJ86 -
      Quote Originally Posted by novadam View Post
      hahaha you sound like me. "This is thing is great! I won't need to get the next one."

***next one comes out***

"I'm getting it!!!"
      Lol. I hope I stick to my guns and not upgrade until 7s.
      rolandgabor -
      Lets hope is not as slippery as the 6. It's like a wet soap right now
      Silverado1987 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
      Of course Apple has prototypes lol they're always working 2-3 generation iPhones from the current one.
      Exactly. A lot of people think they start a new phone after one releases lol they working on the iPhone 8 prototype
      Albut -
      More to the point, will you be able to play video and photos to a wifi enabled TV without having to buy another apple product. Like Samsung and most other modern up to date phones!
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Albut View Post
      More to the point, will you be able to play video and photos to a wifi enabled TV without having to buy another apple product. Like Samsung and most other modern up to date phones!
      I can play YouTube, etc. from my iPhone to my smart tv without needing any other Apple product. Not sure what you are talking about.
      bbrks -
      I vote for carbon.....
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook