• SIM-Free iPhone 6s/6s Plus Now Available for Purchase on Apple's Web Site

Apple this week began selling SIM-free models of the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus online via Apple's online store. SIM-free iPhones come with no SIM card and are paid for in full up front without the need to subscribe to a specific carrier's two-year agreement.

The SIM-free iPhones come with the following prices, depending on the configuration that you choose:

• iPhone 6s 16GB (space gray, gold, rose gold, or silver) – $649
    • iPhone 6s 64GB (space gray, gold, rose gold, or silver) – $749
    • iPhone 6s 128GB (space gray, gold, rose gold, or silver) – $849
    • iPhone 6s Plus 16GB (space gray, gold, rose gold, or silver) – $749
    • iPhone 6s Plus 64GB (space gray, gold, rose gold, or silver) – $849
    • iPhone 6s Plus 128GB (space gray, gold, rose gold, or silver) – $949

Because they don't come with a SIM, those who purchase one of these iPhones in full can just take the device to any carrier with a supported network, such as AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, Metro PCS, Straight Talk, or any other carrier with a compatible nano SIM card:

The SIM-free iPhone comes without a wireless contract commitment or carrier financing. It doesn’t come with a nano-SIM card for iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, or iPhone 5s. And because it’s unlocked, it isn’t tied to one carrier, so you can get a nano-SIM from any supported carrier worldwide, such as AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, or Sprint in the United States.
    These iPhones are great for travelers that want a fast and affordable way to switch between carriers on the fly.

Source: Apple
    This article was originally published in forum thread: SIM-Free iPhones Now Available for Purchase on Apple's Web Site started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 16 Comments
      Sniper488 -
      Just bought my iPhone 6s Plus 128 gb contract free from Apple Store Wednesday....
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Sniper488 View Post
      Just bought my iPhone 6s Plus 128 gb contract free from Apple Store Wednesday....
      Contract free is not equal to Unlocked.

Does sim free phone gets locked to the first carrier?
      Sniper488 -
      I'll rephrase, I bought Unlocked which equates to contract free...
      bbrks -
      No it doesn't....
      Sniper488 -
      Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
      Contract free is not equal to Unlocked.
      From what I've read, this is an untrue statement for AT&T iPhone...

Actually this is what I bought from Apple was what is called contract free, which IS unlocked...
      LatinGeo -
      I just found out that Verizon's iPhone 6 Plus can't be used on Sprints networks.
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Sniper488 View Post
      From what I've read, this is an untrue statement for AT&T iPhone...

Actually this is what I bought from Apple was what is called contract free, which IS unlocked...
      That is a true statement for AT&T. I preordered iPhone 6S Plus on day 1 and paid full price. So that was a contract free but a locked to AT&T phone.
      Sniper488 -
      Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
      That is a true statement for AT&T. I preordered iPhone 6S Plus on day 1 and paid full price. So that was a contract free but a locked to AT&T phone.
      I bought a contract free AT&T iPhone from Apple Wednesday and it is an Unlocked phone which I can use on another carrier. Just restored it two days ago and it came up Unlocked on iTunes. My iPhone is not tied to only AT&T...
      Sniper488 -
      Also, I've bought a contract free iPhone from Walmart and Walmart tells you they don't sell unlocked iphones.
      But all I had to do was fill out the AT&T form online and it was immediately unlocked for any carrier...
      bobnwako -
      Good! Now waiting for the jailbreak before buying.
      GrandMstrBud -
      Ugh, come on jailbreak
      budsalinger -
      Quote Originally Posted by bobnwako View Post
      Good! Now waiting for the jailbreak before buying.
      though you run the risk of buying a new phone on a later firmware than what the jailbreak is released for. Something similar happened to me a couple years back.
      FireSpyder -
      The T-Mobile phone is contract free and unlocked. I've been buying them that way for years. You just have to pay full price. I got mine on opening day and am using it on AT&T. My fiancé's iPhone 6 is on Cricket and bought the same way as a "T-Mobile" phone from the Apple Store.
      bobnwako -
      Quote Originally Posted by budsalinger View Post
      though you run the risk of buying a new phone on a later firmware than what the jailbreak is released for. Something similar happened to me a couple years back.
      Ok if I buy now and the jailbreak takes a long time to come out, then what? The phone is useless to me without jailbreaking!
      DoctorPaco -
      Quote Originally Posted by bobnwako View Post
      Ok if I buy now and the jailbreak takes a long time to come out, then what? The phone is useless to me without jailbreaking!
      Give vanilla iOS a chance, it's come a long way.
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by DoctorPaco View Post
      Give vanilla iOS a chance, it's come a long way.
      Vanilla iOS needs numeric keys above the letters and caller ID for unknown numbers. Meaning exKey and Whoozit Pro. That's all I need. Until then I can't do vanilla iOS.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook