• Ford Updates Older Vehicles with Support for Apple's Siri Eyes Free Technology

Ford recently began updating its existing vehicles on the road to support Apple’s Siri Eyes Free for iPhone. The software is now available to download on systems that are running its second-generation Sync infotainment platform. A new 3.8 update was made available for systems that were running the second-gen Sync with MyFord Touch along with support for Siri Eyes Free.

The release notes state the following regarding the matter:

With simple voice commands, Sync with MyFord Touch enables you to operate the iPhone and Sync together. Siri Eyes Free can be activated by pressing and holding the voice button for at least 3 seconds.
    Along with everything, the update also makes pairing an iPhone easier, allowing the system to automatically reconnect to a handset if it is disconnected. That being said, installation of Sync 3.8 is said to take up to 30 minutes to complete. Ford vehicles owners have to register and sign on to the automaker’s website to check for updates.

It should be noted that the MyFord Touch featuring Sync second-gen is actually Ford’s outgoing infotainment system after having been sold in vehicles since 2011. Both this generation of Sync and the first-gen iteration were powered by Microsoft. The auto manufacturer’s new Sync 3 system is foregoing Microsoft and is set to be powered by QNX software from BlackBerry instead. It debuted on the company’s new 2016 Escape and Fiesta models and similar to the updated second-gen hardware, it also supports Apple’s Siri Eyes Free technology.

For those of you who didn’t know, Siri Eyes Free was actually announced by Apple back in 2012 but Ford wasn’t among the initial set of supporting partners. It’s been available since the launch of iOS 6. Apple has released a much more full-featured iPhone-based infotainment system, CarPlay, since then as well. Ford did mention that they do plan to support CarPlay within the new Sync 3 platform but haven’t given any details on its launch. We’ll have to wait and see what comes in the future by being patient.

Are any of you Ford owners excited for the new update?

Source: Ford via AppleInsider
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Ford Updates Older Vehicles with Support for Apple's Siri Eyes Free Technology started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 5 Comments
      hogcia -
      I own a Ford Explorer 2014 model, going to check this out.
      wdavid1 -
      I updated my Ford Fusion yesterday. It seems to work ok!

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
      I own a Ford Explorer 2014 model, going to check this out.
      yahoochat -
      Any idea iOS 9.1 JB coming
      pbogits -
      I am sick of 4 years of having to say "Bluetooth audio" every single time I get in the car!
      Also, it's nice to have it display the artist/song instead of just the words "Bluetooth Audio"
      mrbaker1979 -
      Now why can't Dodge make an update for the 2014/15 Uconnect System to support this? I'm not buying a 2016 car just for that update.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook