• Facebook Admits App Battery Drain Issues; Updates iOS App with One of Many Improvements

This past week, Facebook pushed out what it claims is a partial fix to an issue that many users have been complaining about regarding to the iOS app excessively draining the battery life of an iPhone. According to the social media giant, the issue was in part caused by a background audio bug. Facebook engineering manager, Ari Grant, claimed the battery drain issue stemmed from multiple problems in the app’s code, some of which were addressed in the recent update.

According to Grant, Facebook discovered a “CPU spin” in its network code, which means the app constantly performed a process without that process ever ending. The updated version of the app doesn’t fully solve the problem either but it does contain improvements that should help cut down on unnecessary processes. The other issue at hand was an audio management bug that kept audio sessions open, even in the absence of playable media, which affectively kept “playing” a silent audio track. This is actually something that is used correctly by other apps, such as Spotify, where users can browse the web while listening to the app. Grant said that though Facebook was kept awake in the background due to this particular issue, the app wasn’t performing any tasks. To help resolve the issue, background audio was completely removed in the update.

While speaking on the issues, Grant clearly stated that Facebook’s Location History wasn’t responsible for excessive battery drain. He added that Facebook doesn’t access location data in the background unless users opt in to the service specifically by switching Location Access to Always On in the Settings and enabling Location History in the app. We’ll have to wait and see how Facebook resolves the issue completely overtime but it does appear to be taking smaller steps to get there for now.

Those of you who haven’t already downloaded version 42.0 of Facebook should do so sooner rather than later. It’s a free update via the iOS App Store.

Source: Facebook (Ari Grant), iTunes (Facebook)
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Facebook Admits App Battery Drain Issues; Updates iOS App with One of Many Improvements started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 5 Comments
      Eonhpi -
      facebook app sucks just use safari or something
      xushi -
      I don't use have the FB app installed or even use FB at all, and yet my 5s 8.x/9.0.2 battery sucks donkey balls. I have to charge it twice a day due to my average use..

I can't imagine how much worse it is for those who do use this FB app...
      hogcia -
      Battery issues are never going away. It's a computer in your pocket. It is what it is....
      StaceyMJ86 -
      Even with the Facebook app installed I'm still the same battery life on my 6s+. I'm always on my phone and only charge up in the morning and right before bed. My phone charges through the USB port in my car but that's only for 20 minutes each to and from work.
      novadam -
      Quote Originally Posted by StaceyMJ86 View Post
      Even with the Facebook app installed I'm still the same battery life on my 6s+. I'm always on my phone and only charge up in the morning and right before bed. My phone charges through the USB port in my car but that's only for 20 minutes each to and from work.
      agreed. while I prefer the physical size of my son's 6, the battery life on my 6+ is insane. I don't even pay attention to the battery anymore.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook