• Apple Begins Taking Orders for the New Fourth-Generation Apple TV

Monday morning, Apple has started accepting orders for the brand-new fourth-generation Apple TV, which includes the new tvOS operating system, Siri remote, a dedicated App Store, hardware bumps, and multiple other improvements over the previous generation Apple TV that make it more usable.

The new Apple TV is available in both 32GB and 64GB configurations for $149 and $199 respectively. Apple's new Siri remote ditches infrared technology and picks up with Bluetooth technology and a better battery that re-charges using a Lightning cable rather than using disposable batteries.

Apple started asking developers to submit their tvOS applications for review last week, which means that those ordering today shouldn't have to wait too long to start seeing some good applications populate in the App Store for the Apple TV.

Those ordering the new Apple TV can also order additional Siri Remotes for $79 each, with separate wrist straps for $12.99 more. Apple still sells the previous-generation Apple TV for $69, but it's really a relic in time and doesn't offer the same great features as the new Apple TV.

To check out the new Apple TV and place an order, you can head over to Apple's Web site at this link. Orders will deliver as early as October 30th, and current shipping estimates show dates as late as November 4th, which really isn't all that bad.

Source: Apple
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Begins Taking Orders for the New Fourth-Generation Apple TV started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 10 Comments
      Silverado1987 -
      Sold!
      StaceyMJ86 -
      Do you have to be on 9.1 to use AppleTV?
      Bo -
      Quote Originally Posted by StaceyMJ86 View Post
      Do you have to be on 9.1 to use AppleTV?
      Nope.
      punjabi212 -
      I wonder when they will be available at the Apple Store.
      AKCHRIS -
      I can just order the remote for my Apple TV, should work with it.
      Silverado1987 -
      Quote Originally Posted by AKCHRIS View Post
      I can just order the remote for my Apple TV, should work with it.
      That's a good idea. A little awkward that your remote now costs more than the Apple TV itself
      yohu123 -
      Those who don't use the cable subscriptions, I don't find anything new about the new apple tv apart from the Siri Remote. We can already play more games than the tvOS Store can provide, via our iPhones and iPads through AirPlay Mirroring. In fact, if we just order only the Siri Remote, it will work with the Apple TV 3. Having said that I am surprised that the Siri Remote alone is more costlier ($79) than the Apple TV 3 ($69). I guess the new apple tv will be more useful to those who don't own an iOS device or even a Mac.
      therandy -
      The remote is only for Apple TV 4...says so in the specs of the remote. Unless I'm reading it wrong
      Nefarious -
      I'm most interested in the App Store and being able to play media from my nas without having to jailbreak the apply tv. I use an ATV2 now with the infuse app, but it's limited to 720p content. Since the ATV3 was never jailbroken, the option for native media apps on the ATV4 is huge.
      yohu123 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post
      I'm most interested in the App Store and being able to play media from my nas without having to jailbreak the apply tv. I use an ATV2 now with the infuse app, but it's limited to 720p content. Since the ATV3 was never jailbroken, the option for native media apps on the ATV4 is huge.
      You can play media from your NAS even on an Apple TV 3 using Infuse. I do that and have no problems with it. Plus you can stream 1080p content too. Also, you can Airplay Mirror your games from your iOS device or Mac to your aTV 3 as well. So I again question the need for the 4th generation Apple TV. Unless Apple makes exclusive games for the 4th gen aTV that aren't available on the iOS App Store, I still cannot find any reason as to why I should upgrade from the 3rd to the 4th generation aTV. Any takers?
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook