• The Copyright Office Has Granted DMCA Exemptions for Jailbreaking Devices!

Jailbreaking is something that allows users to gain control over their devices that isn't typically possible under OEM controls and settings intended to keep users within certain boundaries. Among one of the most popular platforms to jailbreak is iOS, which includes iPhones, iPod touches, and iPads, but the Apple TV has also been known to be jailbroken, and even the Android platform has similar hacks available, known at "rooting."

Saurik has announced via Twitter on Tuesday that the Copyright Office has granted DMCA exemptions for jailbreaking smartphones, tablets, all-purpose mobile computing devices, and even smart TVs, which means that the future of legal hacking is looking bright for everyone that likes to allow their gadgets to do more than the manufacturer intended it to do.

What this means is that jailbreaking iOS devices isn't going away, and it won't be illegal to do in the near future either. For the longest time, smartphones have been granted legal to jailbreak, but tablets have been somewhat of a gray area. In the time that Saurik spent arguing his case just a few months ago, various device examples were used as candidates for jailbreaking.

The big announcement Tuesday afternoon shows that the Copyright Office is on our side and that jailbreaking will be around for years to come for all kinds of different platforms.

Source: Saurik
    This article was originally published in forum thread: The Copyright Office Has Granted DMCA Exemptions for Jailbreaking Devices! started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 11 Comments
      hogcia -
      Good news, now let's Jailbreak that new Apple TV! [emoji1][emoji1]
      WHUDS -
      Its always been legal as long as other software is not stolen in the act. I would say 98% of JBers do it for tweaks and such control as to add the music they own to a device without jumping through itunes incredibly horrible interface.

JB is not stealing or dishonest
      Sage I -
      Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
      I ordered my new Apple TV yesterday morning and would be so stoked to get a jailbreak on that as well as a jailbreak for 9.1 in the near future...
      psxcancer -
      Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
      Agreed
      luvmytj -
      Yes! I agree, the new Apple TV needs a JB! I am still using a pair of ATV2 jailbroken.
      mgmm1 -
      Very nice. Thanks for the news.
      Ambi_Valence -
      Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
      Yes! I agree, the new Apple TV needs a JB! I am still using a pair of ATV2 jailbroken.
      So does the ATV3.
      Clem-Clone -
      Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
      same-same
      steve-z17 -
      Great news, now let's JB the ATV3 and the New Apple TV!!
      studderman -
      Now lets get it so Apple can not stop the jailbreak
      Rcooley617 -
      I think that the phrases & terms we use to "customize" our device to our liking, is the reason we get frowned upon....if we could come up w/ a better name or terms that we could use instead of "jailbreaking" or "hacking" I think things would be better. Just my opinion....
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook