• Senate Passes Controversial Cybersecurity Bill

This past week, the Cybersecurity Information Sharing Act ended up clearing the US Senate floor with a 74 to 21 vote in support. This move puts the ability to give the government full access to private data one step closer to becoming a reality. Despite several protests from privacy advocates and tech industry giants such as Apple and Yahoo, CISA passed with an overwhelming amount of support from senators who argue the draft will drastically improve national security.

With the CISA in place, private companies would be allowed to share sensitive customer data relating to cyber threats with government agencies including the Department of Homeland Security and the NSA without risk of any legal retaliation. As noted by the folks over at The Guardian, CISA looks to set up a system where companies can legally share bulk data with DHS, which would then in turn parse out information to other agencies as deemed necessary. The companies that are participating in the program are subject to Freedom of Information Act requests or regulatory oversight related to data sharing activities.

The Cupertino California company, which is a large advocate for user data privacy, wrote a letter just last week blasting CISAís current proposal stating that it undermines basic public privacy rights. Many other tech companies felt and expressed similar concerns. Apple had the following to say regarding the matter:

We don't support the current CISA proposal. The trust of our customers means everything to us and we don't believe security should come at the expense of their privacy.
    According to Reuters, in its current situation, CISA has to pass through the House of Representatives and be reconciled with two related bills before it goes to President Barack Obama for signing. It should be noted that the president isnít expected to veto the package if it does reach his desk.

Whatís your stance on the whole situation? Share your thoughts below!

Source: Senate (Legislation & Records), The Guardian, Reuters
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Senate Passes Controversial Cybersecurity Bill started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 11 Comments
      studderman -
      Its not a national security issue, its a matter of the government wants what they cant have, ( like a little kid).
      Scotty Manley Silberhorn -
      I feel like the Supreme Court could easily put a stop to this if it passes
      WHUDS -
      and if Congress put Cameras everywhere, homes, cars, bathrooms that would increase security too..........This is what you get with the "anything to be safe" crowd
      jedsander -
      "War is peace,
      Freedom is slavery,
      Ignorance is strength."

Big brother is watching you.
      Ingsoc.

Welcome to the Orwellian government!
      SpiderManAPV -
      To be honest, Iím kinda surprised this passed. Considering how major tech companies were against it, it seems like major money would have convinced congress not to pass it.
      studderman -
      Quote Originally Posted by SpiderManAPV View Post
      To be honest, Iím kinda surprised this passed. Considering how major tech companies were against it, it seems like major money would have convinced congress not to pass it.
      Yea really, big money controls everything else, its really sad, we are supposed to be the land of the free, how will being able to get access into a digital device help with national security, its all about Control period.
      nealh -
      I hope this does not have support in the house or at executive level.
      We can not give up these freedoms.
      It seems to me citizens are becoming too much like sheep not screaming out against this type of laws.

Once we lose these types of freedoms and protections we will never get them back

How sad our legislature is this moronic!
      Bender1031 -
      The big brother I like is the tv show!
      WHUDS -
      ever since 9/11 our government has used the excuse of security to continue to take away freedom and have more control. I'm sorry but the idiots in control have allowed this to happen.....
      nealh -
      Quote Originally Posted by WHUDS View Post
      ever since 9/11 our government has used the excuse of security to continue to take away freedom and have more control. I'm sorry but the idiots in control have allowed this to happen.....
      I agree 100% but we keep reelecting these idiots. I so wish term limits could be imposed but there is no way the group of elected officials we currently have but allow that to happen. They are no longer accountable
      psxcancer -
      Quote Originally Posted by studderman View Post
      Its not a national security issue, its a matter of the government wants what they cant have, ( like a little kid).
      True, at least they are going about it the right way instead of trying to intimidate or crying.... everything in a national security threat.

It's gonna be a sad day when there's no longer a requirement to search an individual or his residence (talk about abuse of power).
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook