• Plex Releases its Highly Anticipated tvOS App with Support for the Fourth-Gen Apple TV

The media server solution, Plex, recently issued its highly anticipated tvOS app with support for local content playback, Internet channels and more. Similar to its iOS and Mac counterparts, the official Plex app for tvOS works with a Plex Media Server to stream locally stored movies, TV shows, music and photos directly to the Apple TV for big screen viewing. Users who are Plex Pass subscribers will be given access to streaming content from Vimeo, TED Talks, Soundcloud and more.

By leveraging TVML as it works on a truly native app, Plex lets users browse their personal media library all while receiving information from the Web. This information can include Rotten Tomatoes ratings, related content, trailers and much more. The app also touts support for advanced search options allowing those with larger personal libraries to search by actor, director and genre, among others.

Furthermore, the Plex app for the Apple TV also supports Plex Companion, which is a cross-platform remote controls ystem that is built into the iOS and Android iterations of the Plex app.

Are any of you new Apple TV users excited for Plex support?

Source: Plex
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Plex Releases its Highly Anticipated tvOS App with Support for the Fourth-Gen Apple TV started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 11 Comments
      gbosh -
      Give me an Apple signed/approved Kodi app for ATV and I'll be excited....
      therandy -
      PLEX > Kodi/XBMC

IMO - Apple will never approve the Kodi/XBMC model because it's (main focus) is viewing not yet released movies through "sources" kind of like the one's Cydia warns you about that steal. Pirate Streaming I think it's called. I never understood the desire to watch crap quality movies recorded with a video camera overseas. I'll either see it in the theater, or rent/buy from iTunes/Vudu. But thats just me, I have extra disposable income. The life of a DINK! =)
      jmhenry5150 -
      Quote Originally Posted by therandy View Post
      PLEX > Kodi/XBMC

IMO - Apple will never approve the Kodi/XBMC model because it's (main focus) is viewing not yet released movies through "sources")
      I registered just so that I could respond to this comment.

This could not be further from the truth - are there ways to watch unreleased movies through kodi? Yes - but that is not it's main focus. Very similar to PLEX, kodi's main focus is to stream your content to clients - not piracy.

Please don't spread these inaccuracies...
      gbosh -
      Quote Originally Posted by therandy View Post
      PLEX > Kodi/XBMC

IMO - Apple will never approve the Kodi/XBMC model because it's (main focus) is viewing not yet released movies through....
      Or maybe folks in the jailbreak/mod community have a desire for a lightweight multi-platform streaming media client that doesn't need a back end system 'serving' up media. If I have all my media on a NAS, why would I be better off adding a middle-man program when Kodi/XBMC will pull from my source?

Can I 'pirate stream' (a new term to me, BTW) through Kodi? Sure, but other than trying it as a proof of concept, it's not worth the effort, much as you alude to in terms of quality. It's real value (since it's FREE with not subscription for Value features) is that it will play any media on any source on my network without a lot of fuss.

As far as income and viewing choices, that's not really what this is about. But kudos....
      peacedog -
      I've heard AirVideo HD has an ATV4 app as well. I haven't bought an ATV4 but have been a long time AirVideo fan.
      SirZyrion -
      I just want something that lets me play more video formats.
      unison999 -
      I love the old days when the manufacturer will try to be compatible with as many format as possible, after Apple the manufacturer gets to dictate what "you want".
      It feels like:
      people: "I want this"
      Apple: "No you don't"
      people: "Maybe I don't..."
      Mookest -
      Quote Originally Posted by gbosh View Post
      If I have all my media on a NAS, why would I be better off adding a middle-man program when Kodi/XBMC will pull from my source?
      What Middle man program, you mean the plex media server program. The FREE server program that does all the work so client side can play it from your source. They even have nas server software. Didn't they also make the android app free just recently. The UI is simpler that kodi. Plex is just more user friendly still with high functionality. I used xbmc and kodi for about 6 months before switching to plex. I never like pirate streaming maybe thats why. But unless Kodi pulls out some stop I'll never go back just for the setup. I have 6 Plex servers 2 on NAS' they are great. My Apple TV comes on thursday.
      fleurya -
      Does anyone have this that can tell me if they can use Siri to search their local content derived through Plex?
      Mookest -
      Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
      Does anyone have this that can tell me if they can use Siri to search their local content derived through Plex?
      According to this guy
      No there is no dictation searching.
      fleurya -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mookest View Post
      According to this guy
      No there is no dictation searching.
      Too bad. Hopefully it's just missing because they had to do a quick build to get their app out there early and will add it later. If voice search can work with other 3rd party apps there's not reason why it can't work with Plex; at least for local content.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook