• Apple Could Move to TSMC Entirely for Production of the A10 Chip

Apple's uses a mix of TSMC and Samsung-branded chips in its flagship smartphones iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus. After much speculation of one being better than the other, and the fact that one is actually smaller than the other, the mix in brands left many Apple customers unhappy.

Apple is reportedly making the move to switch over to TSMC completely, rather than a split between TSMC and Samsung, for production of the next-generation chip the A10 chip that will ship inside of the next-generation iPhone.

Although Apple has typically split between two companies to help with availability problems and to prevent supply issues during large iPhone launches, the switch to TSMC as the sole production company could actually bring those problems back into the picture, but it gives Apple more control over the hardware going into its devices, including better quality control.

Source: AppleInsider
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Could Move to TSMC Entirely for Production of the A10 Chip started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 4 Comments
      csglinux -
      Please let this be true! I'm not loving my Samsung A9. My first 6s Plus (also a Samsung chip) got replaced, but I have the same issues with the 2nd. Both were setup as new phones (no restores from backup). Awesome battery life on standby, but any kind of multi-tasking and the phone gets hot to the touch and the battery drains faster than any iPhone I've previously owned (I've owned them all since the 3Gs).
      PCYoda -
      Insidious plot by Samsung to sabotage the iPhone's performance? Or just some sort of flaw in their manufacturing process versus TSMC's? You decide...
      Scotty Manley Silberhorn -
      Quote Originally Posted by csglinux View Post
      Please let this be true! I'm not loving my Samsung A9. My first 6s Plus (also a Samsung chip) got replaced, but I have the same issues with the 2nd. Both were setup as new phones (no restores from backup). Awesome battery life on standby, but any kind of multi-tasking and the phone gets hot to the touch and the battery drains faster than any iPhone I've previously owned (I've owned them all since the 3Gs).
      I doubt it's the chip itself. It's probably wifi sense ~
      csglinux -
      I can't rule that out, but so far I've not been able to pin the issue down to anything else. I experience this problem with the iPhone 6s Plus in airplane mode, so I don't believe it has anything to do with the radios. I also have the exact same (iOS 9.0.2) setup mirrored on an iPhone 6, which doesn't have any problems.

I guess I could take this one back too, if I were willing to lose my jailbreak. But obviously a jailbreak is more important than a phone that needs rebooting a couple of times each day ;-)
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook