• Verizon Announces its Wi-Fi Calling Will Come to iPhone Users Early Next Year

Although major U.S carriers like Sprint, T-Mobile, and now AT&T already have Wi-Fi calling for their customers, Verizon is the last major U.S. carrier that still needs to activate the feature for its customers. AT&T recently raised a big stink about Sprint and T-Mobile having enabled the feature without being approved by a special waiver from the FCC, but nonetheless, Sprint and T-Mobile have been reached out to by the FCC to complete the waiver, and Verizon has already went through that process and been approved.

Now that we're waiting on Verizon, if you're a Verizon subscriber, you'll be happy to know that Verizon has announced this week its plans to enable Wi-Fi calling on its network for iPhone users early next year, although no specific date has been verified. On the other hand, owners of the Samsung Galaxy S6 and Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge will be able to start using Wi-Fi calling on the Verizon network as early as next week via a software update.

Wi-Fi calling is a great feature that allows users to tap into the power of Wi-Fi when their cellular signal is low, such as when inside of metal buildings or just when far away from civilization where there aren't so many cellular towers around. This allows you to maintain your crisp and clear call quality even when you're not in reach of a cellular tower and prevents breakups and call dropping.

Source: Verizon
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Verizon Announces its Wi-Fi Calling Will Come to iPhone Users Early Next Year started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 14 Comments
      BrianMorter1984 -
      So you need a phone number to use or will an Apple ID be enough
      Scotty Manley Silberhorn -
      I'll believe it when I see it. They said they'd have it out by mid 2015
      hogcia -
      Quote Originally Posted by BrianMorter1984 View Post
      So you need a phone number to use or will an Apple ID be enough
      You need a phone number. Been using wifi calling at work for a year and it's a life saver. T mobile
      Silverado1987 -
      Att here and my home is now finally NOT a deadspot
      TechAlex -
      I have been enjoying WiFi calling for a while with AT&T. Even further, SMS or texting, work like a charm now using WiFi. We could not text over Wifi to other carriers, no we can. iMessage always have worked but is ONLY iphone to Iphone.

About WiFi calling, If both phones are on WiFi, the connection is almost instant, no searching towers, and ringings all over, plus the sound is crisper.
      fleurya -
      So does wifi calling allow you to make calls even if there's no cell network connection at all, or only if there is at least some small connection? And if does need a connection that breaks out mid-call, does the call carry on on wifi?
      TechAlex -
      Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
      So does wifi calling allow you to make calls even if there's no cell network connection at all, or only if there is at least some small connection? And if does need a connection that breaks out mid-call, does the call carry on on wifi?
      Yes, no towers needed! Of course, you need a WiFi. I put my phone in Airplane mode, that is it! I receive and make phone calls all day long.
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by TechAlex View Post
      Yes, no towers needed! Of course, you need a WiFi. I put my phone in Airplane mode, that is it! I receive and make phone calls all day long.
      Thanks for this tip. I had asked a question in the forum on how to force enable wifi calling even if I have good cellular signal. This did the trick.
      vedavis -
      I turned my WiFi calling off (AT&T) and only turn it on when there is absolutely no cellular signal; I mean "No Service". There is a "cellular sweet spot" where there is just enough cellular signal toggle the WiFi calling on and off, so I get dropped calls, one-sided conversations, etc. If there is a way to adjust the cellular strength needed to trigger WiFi calling, I'd like to hear it.
      anotherps -
      Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
      I'll believe it when I see it. They said they'd have it out by mid 2015
      I use the message + app to call International at no $ with wifi calling..
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by vedavis View Post
      I turned my WiFi calling off (AT&T) and only turn it on when there is absolutely no cellular signal; I mean "No Service". There is a "cellular sweet spot" where there is just enough cellular signal toggle the WiFi calling on and off, so I get dropped calls, one-sided conversations, etc. If there is a way to adjust the cellular strength needed to trigger WiFi calling, I'd like to hear it.
      Why don't you follow TechAlex's trick and always use wifi calling when on wifi by turning on airplane mode. My calls sound better on wifi calling rather than on cellular signal. I guess it depends on wifi speed.
      fleurya -
      Quote Originally Posted by TechAlex View Post
      Strange. I put my phone in airplane mode, connected to wifi and verified it worked by pulling up a website, but when I try to make a call it tells me to turn off airplane mode to make a call. On T-Mobile and iPhone 6.
      Tperry -
      Oh wow. Now we can pay more for less use of Verizon resources. Wasn't the "unlimited voice calls" supposed to be the benefit of going to their new plans? Now they will piggy back on my wife that I pay additional for since they are to cheap to get adequate cell tower coverage around my house.
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
      Strange. I put my phone in airplane mode, connected to wifi and verified it worked by pulling up a website, but when I try to make a call it tells me to turn off airplane mode to make a call. On T-Mobile and iPhone 6.
      I can make or receive calls just fine in airplane mode with wifi calling. Siri, however, doesn't know that I'm on wifi calling and tells me to turn off airplane mode if I ask Siri to make a call.
  • Connect With Us

• Twitter Box

• Facebook